Author Topic: LCE distributor worth it?  (Read 2843 times)

MrFatEggs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
LCE distributor worth it?
« on: Jun 02, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »
I am almost done with my hybrid build, but don't have a distributor or oil pump. Is it worth it to buy the $260 lc engineering distributor vs the $70 eBay generic One? Also is the lc engineering $100 oil pump worth the extra money vs the $15 eBay ones?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: LCE distributor worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
no, no, no and no

Try rockauto.     You could get the pump locally, but since you're waiting anyway...................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
I would rather scrounge a used stock distributor.  I had one of the cheap re-maned ones seize up and blow the teeth of my distributor drive gear. 
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SlayTank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
I was looking at distributors as mine needs a new VAC advance. The VAC advance was almost as much as a entire rebuilt distributor off rock auto. then I saw the DUI distributors that LCE sells. Im not drag racing but if I'm going to pay 200$ for a new distributor might as well pay a little extra and get the DUI. Not so much for performance but because it simplifies the entire ignition system and parts would be easy to find (just replace with a std GM HEI)

What do you guys think? I looked around and didnt find any reviews on them

pleasetellmeno

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 507
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
I tried a Cardone distributor off rock auto, had the vacuum advance go out pretty fast. I warrantied it, and the new one went out in 2 days. ended up just buying the vacuum advance diaphragm off LCE. Rock auto gave me my money back.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,271
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
I would go oem on both

Those 2 parts are obviously important.  I’d have trouble justifying the cost of the LC product, although they are most likely very high quality.  I would tend to stay away from the Autozone stuff and remanufactured parts, especially for the disty – mainly for the advance curve specs.

I’d tend to stick with OEM, it’s a safe choice.

Be careful whenever you read or hear someone say “OE”.

The acronyms OE and OEM are often tossed around together.  OE, in many circles, means Original Equivalent.  OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.  There can be a big difference!  OEM typically means the part is manufactured by the same “original” manufacturer, and source, so it meets the same exact specs. 

OE can also mean Original Equipment.  Meaning that the part is the exact same part, made by the same source, that came on the original vehicle at the time of manufacturing.  If you go to your local car dealership and have them install a new windshield, they will only install OE (Original Equipment - if its still available), same as what the vehicle came with from the factory.

OE can also mean Original EQUIVALENT and does NOT mean it was manufactured by the same manufacturer, source, or meets the same exact specifications as the OEM or Original Equipment.

The other term, of course, is “aftermarket” - that typically has nothing to do with the manufacturing source of Original Equipment or Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017, 04:54:49 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein