Author Topic: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!  (Read 36463 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« Reply #60 on: Aug 06, 2019, 03:53:57 AM »
Do you REALLY know what can make your dog sick or possibly kill them?  :smack:

https://www.aspca.org/news/just-announcing-top-10-toxins-2018   :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :greengrin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #61 on: Aug 07, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
I was watching a local TV news station and the person was talking about dog’s and their diet.

I was shocked at what the person was recommending!!  :yikes:

Two things she said is OK for a dog – yogurt and raw carrots.  :shake:

Two human foods you should NOT give a dog!!  :shakehead:

Dogs are lactose intolerant, so any diary can make them sick or give them painful gastritis.  :ack:

Raw carrots are dangerous for a dog.  They cannot easily digest raw vegetables, and in fact don’t really need them in their diet.  Pieces of raw carrots can get stuck in their esophagus and they can choke or get blocked up and become very sick.  :sad2:

My vet has performed two emergency surgeries on dogs that were given raw carrots.  :smack:

If you feel you must give your dog carrots or vegetables, boil or steam them until they are very soft.  :gap:

Gnarls.  :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #62 on: Aug 11, 2019, 05:15:36 AM »
As with us humans, DIET and life style is a major factor in maintaining good health, disease prevention and cure in our pets.

If you are interested learning about how the food that your pet eats has the biggest affect on it’s health, happiness, and longer life - please take some time to peruse this site.  It is full of very important facts and information any caring pet owner should know.

https://petnutritionalliance.org/site/about-pna/

This is especially informative about what you are most likely feeding your pet:

https://petnutritionalliance.org/site/pnatool/dare-to-ask-we-did/

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:53:54 AM »
Recently one my fellow avid dog-lovers had to put down one of their 4 very beloved rescue dogs.  The vet could not conclusively determine the cause of ailment that sadly and eventually required the dog being euthanized.  Based upon what they told me, I suspect that diet may be a contributing factor.  Knowing that I am an eccentric animal lover, we had a discussion about the loss of their beloved family member. 

From that discussion I put in black and white some of my thoughts and shared them.

The subject of dog food, nutrition, manufacturing, marketing, regulations, and testing is deep and wide.  There is lots of controversary, deception, misinformation, and lot of just plain male bovine feces promoted and spread by ignorance and greedy profit-focused suppliers.  Like politics and human food, big companies “pay to play”. What does that mean to the average dog owner?  Too many dog owners are clueless, and sadly, many believe what they see in a typical dog food commercial.

The choice of dog food is very critical for the quality health of your pet.  Why?  How many different foods do you feed your dog…. 1 or 2 or maybe 3?  Unlike humans who get to eat all kinds of food as a source of our dietary needs and pleasure, dogs typically are fed one food day after day, week after week.  So that food must to be very high quality, and meet all the needs of that animal’s dietary requirements, including desirable taste and emotional satisfaction.  By the way, how many of you have tasted your dog’s dog food?

A small percentage of us will take time to research and educate ourselves.  The problem is who and what do you believe, and how does a dog owner sift through the Bravo Sierra to get to the facts and the truth?  You have to spend some time doing serious research and educate yourself. 

Dog food is one of the most common causes of illness and health issues.  It doesn’t matter if the dog lives in Nicaragua or California – their digestive systems are the same.

Like our human medical doctors, it is disturbing, to say the least, that most veterinarians rarely discuss DIET or food when diagnosing a problem.  Prescribing a supplement, a drug, or some medical procedure is usually the first recommended treatment. When a food sensitivity or food allergy is actually suspected, then they suggest their favorite brand of prescription dog food – and usually the most expensive dog food available.

A dog’s digestive system has a high level of hydrochloric acid to break down proteins – way more than humans.  Dogs do not have the enzymes to break down vegetables – like humans.   So feeding a dog a vegetarian diet is not healthy and can be very dangerous.  Giving a dog cooked carrots or other vegetables as a treat once in a while may not cause digestive issues.  ANY vegetable should be cooked and NOT raw.  Vegetables should not be a main part of a healthy diet for dogs. Dogs need protein, specific vitamins and minerals, and clean water.

Dogs do not digest fats, sugar, sodium, or carbohydrates well.  The fat content in a typical Thanksgiving turkey is enough to cause mild to deadly pancreatitis in a dog.  A hot dog is NOT a healthy treat.  Feeding a dog human food from your plate is dumb and dangerous.  Fat content in dog food should be carefully monitored.  Ingredient labels on dog food is deceptive.  Almost all dog food ingredients list “minimum” content and NOT maximum content.  Maximum content is critical to know when monitoring a specific food related health issue.  Generally speaking, dogs are lactose (milk sugar) intolerant and should not be fed any dairy products, including cheese.  If a very small amount of cheese is given as a treat once in awhile, cheddar is lower in lactose.  Longer aged cheese is lower in lactose.

Red colored dog food contains chemicals that are carcinogenic.  Corn in dog food can be very high in aflatoxins or mycotoxins that can liver damage or kill the dog.  Kibble is a common staple for dogs.  When kibble is made it is super heated and produces toxic chemicals.  Feeding dogs raw food or human food is just asking for a major issue that could cost you huge vet bills and worse your beloved pet’s life.

A high quality dog food is no more expensive than cheap crap that can produce unhealthy and serious side effects and very costly vet bills!  Buy and feed your dog the best dog food you can buy. 

There are lots of Dr. Google sites to check out.  Not all provide the truth and the facts.  As a pet owner YOU are responsible for the healthy life of that animal.  Please spend some time to research, read, and educate yourself and family members and make your own decisions on the facts and truth.

https://www.petsafe.net/learn/pet-food-the-good-the-bad-and-the-healthy

https://www.petfoodindustry.com/blogs/10-debunking-pet-food-myths-and-misconceptions/post/8190-pet-nutrition-alliance-provides-false-sense-of-security

https://petnutritionalliance.org/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/
 https://www.chewy.com/

NOTE:  The subject of preventive medication and drugs typically prescribed and administered by vets like heartworm medication and vaccines is a whole other topic for discussion and concern.

Gnarls.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:58:26 AM »
Gnarls, I hate to hear that your friends lost one. I was raised with dogs. We had working dogs and pets. As an adult I carry on the tradition of hunting with dogs and having pets as well. I feed then calu pak purple bag. They all like it, it keeps them full of energy and healthy weighted. My deer dogs may run 50-60 miles in a day and they keep a great figure on the purple bag. I am no nutritionist but I do pay attention to their stool and keep notice of anything that changes in their appearance and attitudes.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Gnarls, I hate to hear that your friends lost one. I was raised with dogs. We had working dogs and pets. As an adult I carry on the tradition of hunting with dogs and having pets as well. I feed then calu pak purple bag. They all like it, it keeps them full of energy and healthy weighted. My deer dogs may run 50-60 miles in a day and they keep a great figure on the purple bag. I am no nutritionist but I do pay attention to their stool and keep notice of anything that changes in their appearance and attitudes.

red…..

Thank you.  You are most likely in a minority as a dog lover.  :beerchug:

Caru is a very high quality food!  :thumbs:

Yes.. checking poop can very often give you clues about what’s going on with a dog’s digestive system.  :gap:

As you said, observing and analyzing your dog’s behavior will tell you a lot of information about what’s going in their head and their body.  :yesnod:

Dog’s ancestral wolf DNA makes them intrinsically try to hide or suppress showing illness, injuries, or pain.  In the wild, showing injury or sickness would signal a predator of their weakness and would then become prey.  I can tell immediately when one of my dogs is in pain or feeling sick by their body movements and facial expression. :greengrin:

Gnarls.  :thumbsup:

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Apr 07, 2020, 05:30:41 AM »

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #67 on: Apr 09, 2020, 05:06:06 AM »
 :roflsign:

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Apr 09, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
On diet. It doesn't really matter the species of animal, or even plant for that matter, everything has a specific diet. Dogs, in the wild are considered to be fully carnivorous as they only killed and ate other animals. Of that the dog actually got it's vegetation related nutrients from the digestive tract of the animal being eaten. Basically pre-processed/digested materials that made them easily processed by the dog( I say 'dog' but it refers to all primarily carnivorous animals), it's why they have difficulties digesting vegetation. Watch just about aby carnivore eat an animal it killed, the guts are eaten before the rest of the body. Also, the digestive tract contains various enzymatic and microbial constituents that are beneficial, it's why they eat turds. Diet is also determined by the geologic location the animal originated. This doesn't mean the animal won't eat things that aren't meat, or they're not supposed to eat, just like people they'll eat what they like, bananas, carrots, candy, shoes, wires, etc..
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #69 on: Apr 10, 2020, 05:45:00 AM »
On diet.

One of my favorite subjects!!

A healthy diet for our pet dogs is a deep and wide subject and often very controversial, with multiple aspects to consider.

The following is just my own personal experience and research over past 11 years.

In domestic dogs a healthy diet is too often misunderstood.  There are unhealthy diets promoted that are not supported by the scientific community.  Food suppliers spew their marketing hype with practically no scientific proof.  Many pet owners just rely on the marketing and advertisements of suppliers.

The food is WAY too often not monitored or inspected to maintain safety from all kind of toxins and pathogens that can be deadly to a dog.

How many dog owners subscribe to DogFoodAdvisor that will send you an alert on dog food recalls?.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/  to see how many dog foods have recalls!

How many dog owners have visited this site: 

https://www.aspca.org/news/announcing-top-pet-toxins-2016

How many dog owners seek and read factual research information about their pet?

For the cost 6 Starbuck lattes, you can subscribe to a 1-year - very informative - monthly publication by the very respected Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine: DogWatch

https://www.amazon.com/Belvoir-Publications-Inc-DogWatch/dp/B002PXW17K

Most pet food ingredients list will show Crude Protein, Crude Fat, Crude Fiber, and Moisture. Almost all of them will only show the minimum percent.  Pancreatitis is a common potential life-threatening issue in dogs.  If the food is high in fat content there is higher risk.

Here’s an example scenario…. my vet suggests a prescription only low fat diet to protect my dog from pancreatitis.  The can food’s ingredients indicates minimum crude fat is 2.5%, but what is the maximum percent of fat!  I really need to know that. My dog has a food allergy to chicken – a very common food allergy in dog food.  She has been on a hypoallergenic prescription can food, low in fat and a hydrolyzed protein.  BUT… now her latest blood test shows elevated BUN and Creatinine. Now we have to consider potential kidney disease.  So.. we look at prescription dog food for “renal support”.  But… that food contains only meat protein from chicken, pork, and fish, and its fat content is 3 times the hypoallergenic food!

In my experience, as with my doctors, veterinarians do not typically discuss in detail or focus on diet.  They prescribe medication – promoted by the pharmaceutical industry.

Surprisingly many dog owners are clueless when it comes to proper care and diet for their pet.  For example, the BARF (bone and raw food) diet originally advocated by an Australian vet Dr. Billinghurst. The proponents say it is healthier, but the risks can be deadly. The diet advocates also say it is more like what dogs really need.  Domestic dogs today do not have the same digestive systems or food sources of ancient dogs and wolves centuries ago.

Dog’s digestive systems have way more hydrochloric acid for digesting protein than humans.  Dog also lack the enzymes (amylase, protease, lipase) in their mouth, stomach, and intestines for digesting vegetables and fruit.  Also, dogs are typically lactose intolerant, and do not produce the enzyme lactase to break down milk sugar.  So dairy products should not be in a dog’s diet.  Raw vegetables should also not be in a dog’s diet. My vet described 3 times they had to perform emergency surgery to remove raw carrots from a dog that plugged up their esophagus.  Only steamed or boiled vegetables should be given a dog and not as a primary food source.

Balancing a healthy diet for a dog is not always easy.  The dog food suppliers sell food that is full of chemicals. Some are toxic. Studies indicate that 50% all dogs over the age 10 years will die of cancer.  As in humans, I believe the cancer is directly caused from poor diet and toxic chemicals.

What’s my point? Unless you do your own research or just rely on what your vet says, you may or may not completely understand what health risk you should mitigate first – pancreatitis or kidney failure? And most importantly, how do you know what is the best and healthiest food to feed your beloved pet?

I predict in the near future man’s best friend will become THE most valued non-human being on Earth.

“You cannot share your life with a dog….and not know perfectly well that animals have personalities and minds and feelings”

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2020, 05:52:55 AM by Gnarly4X »

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Apr 10, 2020, 10:48:36 AM »
Pancreatitis. Quite familiar with that malady. We have a 10 year old Schnoodle, rescue mutt. Great little dog! Gotta watch everything he eats or he'll get sick. Sad thing is our pets can't tell us their tummy hurts, this little guy acts like there's nothing wrong but he stops eating when he has flare-ups. His diet consists of prescription diet foods and chicken breast. 15lb dog costs more to feed than my 180lb self does.

Oh yeah, hadn't put this in yet. We have Geezer, Schnoodle and 2 cats, Kahuna and Kolohe. Geezer was ousted 'cause he couldn't adapt to a new born baby, and the cats were adopted from a sailcat parent.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:37:58 AM »

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #72 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:58:03 AM »
Here's the new kid along with her older sister.
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #73 on: Jun 05, 2020, 02:41:37 AM »
I predict that in the future, for civilized societies, dogs (Man's best friend) will become THE most important non-human asset for protection and companionship.

https://www.dw.com/en/dogs-can-sniff-out-covid-19/a-53582252

Gnarls.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jun 08, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
This dog...living the life....almost 14 years old

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #75 on: Jun 09, 2020, 01:04:33 AM »
A dog “living the life” is mostly the result of a loving, caring, and knowledgeable owner.

50% of most dogs will die of cancer by the age of 10 years.  I believe this is mostly caused by their diet.

When I first started studying dogs 11 years ago, I was shocked to learn that too many dog owners are ignorant of the facts about their pet’s physiology and diet needs.

Since the dog’s entire life and survival is the total responsibility of its owner, it was very disturbing to learn to some people their pet’s life was too easily expendable.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #76 on: Jun 12, 2020, 03:48:30 AM »
While doing some research on bacteria, I came across this article.  It should be very interesting to any pet owner that wants to learn and protect their home and their pet.

https://petcentral.chewy.com/health-wellness-7-types-of-bacteria-pets-can-track-into-the-house/

Gnarls.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Jun 20, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
Happy dog..

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #78 on: Jun 21, 2020, 05:21:06 AM »
Riding in Dad’s 4-Runner is one of his most exciting things to do!   :best:

Gnarls.  :thumbs:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #79 on: Jun 24, 2020, 03:38:14 AM »
Colorado River Toad also known as Sonoran Desert Toad:

These toads can be deadly to a dog.  The toad releases a highly toxic paralyzing psychedelic toxin called butotenine when threatened.

If a dog sniffs, touches, or bites this toad, there have been reports of full grown big dogs dying in a matter of minutes.

I find these in our backyard mostly during rainy periods.  When I let the dogs out the back patio to go potty, typically their early morning potty is before sun-up, I go out with  them and look around with a flashlight for anything that might harm them – like scorpions, poisonous Arizona Giant Centipede, or poisonous toads.  This morning about 2:30, I was very surprised to find one, with our very dry 25% RH, 109d F temperatures, on the patio where my dogs sniff around.  I’ve never seen one during daylight hours.

When I find one, I always put on a nitrile glove, put them in a plastic bag, walk across the street to the greenbelt and let them loose. 

Gnarls.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »
Lol

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #81 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »
As we celebrate the 4th of July, this can be a really bad time for our pets.  A dog’s hearing is about 10 times better than ours.  What we hear at 250 feet a dog can hear at 2500 feet or about a half a mile.  The loud sound from fire works and gun fire can be very disturbing to a dog.  Dogs react to loud noises as a possible danger and may run away to hide.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-july-4th-most-dangerous-110045499.html

The get-togethers include the typical holiday foods that can be deadly to a dog.

https://www.treehugger.com/bbq-foods-dangerous-pets-4858186#:~:text=Endangered%20Species.%20From%20ribs%20and%20onions%20to%20chips,grilling%20and%20eating%20outside%20brings%20on%20a%20

Please protect your pets during a very dangerous time for them.

On gun fire to celebrate the 4th of July....

"Shannon Smith had been an award-winning athlete and honor student, and had graduated from the eighth grade a few weeks prior to her death. While she stood in her backyard talking on the telephone with a friend, a stray bullet hit her in her head, causing instant death. Smith's death sparked a furor among Arizona residents. Her funeral was attended by approximately 1,300 people. A monument, made with melted metal from confiscated firearms, was raised in her honor at her middle school by her classmates and friends. Tens of thousands of dollars in donations for the monument were primarily raised by Shannon's friends and classmates holding car washes.

After being informed by the police that random discharge of firearms was a simple misdemeanor, Smith's parents resolved to change the laws and ran a statewide campaign advocating harsher punishment for random shooters. Their campaign gained support from such people as then-Governor Jane Dee Hull. In April 2000, "Shannon's law" was passed."

Violation of Shannon's Law in Arizona is a Class 6 Felony!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2020, 12:57:34 AM by Gnarly4X »

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
« Reply #82 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:42:09 PM »
Maybe a little off-topic, but I just found this and thought I’d share it here. Wow these dogs are smart! Wonder how they’d do on the Rubicon trail…

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
Maybe a little off-topic, but I just found this and thought I’d share it here. Wow these dogs are smart! Wonder how they’d do on the Rubicon trail…

I wonder if the dogs have any preferences for spark plug torque or know which cam is best for the Mini?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #84 on: Jul 14, 2020, 03:47:35 AM »
I wonder if the dogs have any preferences for spark plug torque or know which cam is best for the Mini?

Hey bd....

I get that your comment is perhaps laced with a little taunt.  I have made multiple posts on spark plug torque and just about every aspect camshaft options.

Obviously torque specs and camshafts would not be items of interest to a dog.  However, dogs do have an intelligence and cognition level of a 2-1/2 year old child. 

And, they definitely have personal preferences, base upon their sensory inputs and study of their environment.  In a family, they will have studied, collected and know an incredible amount of information about each member - their names, ages, likes, dislikes, behaviors, possessions, daily routine, and any health issues or physical impairments, etc.

As I have said before and predict, in the near future dogs, in civilized societies, will become they most important and prized non-human animal to intimately share our living environment.

Just one example, dogs are being trained now to smell the presence of the corona virus in humans.  Trained dogs can pre-warn of an impending seizure in a human... no medical instrument can do those things.

Clipped from Google..

"Dogs can detect tiny amounts of smell diluted in air, released from water or far beneath the ground. The smell can be diluted 1 or 2 parts per trillion This allows them to smell things buried as far as 40 feet underground The Whole Dog Journal a web site that deals with Dogs and their health, states that dogs have picked up the scent of people who had drowned in over 80 feet of water."  No instrument yet developed can do that.

Of course dogs play in incredible life-saving role in anti-terrorism in the military, and domestically in narcotics and explosives detection.

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jul 14, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
Hey bd....

I get that your comment is perhaps laced with a little taunt.  I have made multiple posts on spark plug torque and just about every aspect camshaft options.

Obviously torque specs and camshafts would not be items of interest to a dog.  However, dogs do have an intelligence and cognition level of a 2-1/2 year old child. 

And, they definitely have personal preferences, base upon their sensory inputs and study of their environment.  In a family, they will have studied, collected and know an incredible amount of information about each member - their names, ages, likes, dislikes, behaviors, possessions, daily routine, and any health issues or physical impairments, etc.

As I have said before and predict, in the near future dogs, in civilized societies, will become they most important and prized non-human animal to intimately share our living environment.

Just one example, dogs are being trained now to smell the presence of the corona virus in humans.  Trained dogs can pre-warn of an impending seizure in a human... no medical instrument can do those things.

Clipped from Google..

"Dogs can detect tiny amounts of smell diluted in air, released from water or far beneath the ground. The smell can be diluted 1 or 2 parts per trillion This allows them to smell things buried as far as 40 feet underground The Whole Dog Journal a web site that deals with Dogs and their health, states that dogs have picked up the scent of people who had drowned in over 80 feet of water."  No instrument yet developed can do that.

Of course dogs play in incredible life-saving role in anti-terrorism in the military, and domestically in narcotics and explosives detection.

Gnarls.

You never disappoint and I do appreciate your good nature when I can’t resist a friendly jab.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #86 on: Jul 27, 2020, 03:14:17 AM »
Colorado River Toad also known as Sonoran Desert Toad:

These toads can be deadly to a dog.  The toad releases a highly toxic paralyzing psychedelic toxin called butotenine when threatened.

I just picked up the 7th toad in my backyard.  I go out and search the yard with a flashlight before daylight and before I let the dogs out.

With a rubber glove, I pick them up, put them in a plastic bag, walk across the street and release them into the greenbelt.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #87 on: Aug 07, 2020, 01:44:37 AM »
I picked up the 8th poison toad in my backyard this morning. :yikes:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #88 on: Aug 16, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
I picked up the 9th poison toad yesterday morning!! :yikes:

Gnarls.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Aug 16, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
Oh no! Proof of climate change! Poison toads in your back yard. Only possible explanation!