Author Topic: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!  (Read 36404 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:44:33 AM »
I see some interesting comments in the chat box on Memorial Day, so I thought a discussion here around a fire pit would be good.

When the opportunity comes up, I always try to promote self-education for everyone and especially dog owners about the facts and the common misconceptions about man's most prized animal companion.

Dogs know more about humans than any other animal on Earth.

I am a huge dog lover and have been doing serious research on dogs for the past 8 -1/2 years since adopting our little boy Teddy Bear.  He's a Yorkie mix.  We think maybe Yorkie and Cairn Terrier.  We saved a little female Yorkie 6 months later. She's papered and was a breed dog and badly abused.  She is my baby girl and means more to me than ANYTHING I own.  Princess will be 12 years old this year on September 17th.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:45:04 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:37:17 AM »
 :worthless:
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:56:03 AM »
:worthless:

I knew I was going to get busted for no pics! LOL..

But running late...

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »
Here's Luna.
Time to go wheelin!

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:56:50 AM »
Here is blaze. 7 year old pure bread Weimaraner. Great dog, very energy filled lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
I have brother and sister Jack Russell's. Here's the boy, Rex

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
You need to plug some of these dogs into your desktop dyno...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
Here's a couple more

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
Here's one with the yorkie. His name is Winston. Big and little they get a long very well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
I've come to crash your dog party with barn cats.

:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 06:12:09 PM »
You need to plug some of these dogs into your desktop dyno...

Yeah.. it may have an optional add-on for a poop-scooper, with lift and duration, and cc's for total combustion chamber.   :rofl2:

Gnarls. :doh:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »

I did say "and everyone else"... .and I figured it wouldn't take very long for the cats, rats, and snake people to come out of the woodwork!

What....??? You couldn't even post up a real cat photo? :shake:

Cats are cool pets.  My Mom was a well-known cat breeder and won more ribbons than her bedroom walls could hold.  I grew up with lots of cats.  If I wasn't so allergic to them, I'd probably have a couple.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:12:52 PM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
I did say "and everyone else"... .and I figured it wouldn't take very long for the cats, rats, and snake people to come out of the woodwork!

What....??? You couldn't even post up a real cat photo? :shake:

Cats are cool pets.  My Mom was a well-known cat breeder and won more ribbons than her bedroom walls could hold.  I grew up with lots of cats.  If I wasn't so allergic to them, I'd probably have a couple.

Gnarls.

Those cats are very real and mine! Just look at that one on the left :gap: Dogs just aren't a feasible option for me, and I have better luck with cats. This is the first long stretch without cats and it sucks falling into rodent holes in the front yard. :)

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:33 AM »
Those cats are very real and mine! Just look at that one on the left :gap:

OK... tell me that photo has not been manipulated with a photoshop type program.  If not, then that is a very cool snap shot.

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »

Those cats are stoned!
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
I am definitely an "everyone else" in this thread as my wife is the dog lover at our house.  We've gone without a dog for about 5 years and with the kids being 4-1/2 and 6 years old I'm out of viable excuses for getting another dog.  On Monday we made an impromptu trip to a breeder in Rainier, WA to take a look at the Royal Frenchel "designer" hybrid.  They are a mix of four breeds, but primarily French Bulldog and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  I was really impressed by how all of the dogs behaved when we arrived and specifically Cicero, the micro that we were there to meet.  He'll be coming home on Friday when we have a four day stretch to be mostly home and then he goes in to get snipped on Tuesday.  He is just over a year old and weighs about 10 lbs.  He is supposed to just fill out a bit more over the next year or so.

Our last dog was a 180 lb Rottweiler so this is pretty much the opposite extreme.  The price per lb for the Rottweiler was much better since we picked up him from a couple of Army guys (one cried when we took him and the other couldn't even be there) that realized that the didn't have the time to take care of him properly rather than a breeder.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
you are going to have to prove this or did you mean to type 108 lb? my dog was big at 118 lbs and part Mastif/black lab, I could not imagine a Rottweiler at 180 lbs!!!!!!

Rufus was a fairly lean 180 pounds that you could start to see his ribs in the right light around 175 lbs.  He was 44 lbs at 3 or 4 months when we got him, 100 lbs at 9 months, and he topped out at 180.  He was a beast that wanted to be a lap dog.  My wife is sending me pictures that I'll post.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
Challenge accepted.  Meet Rufus the 180 lb Rottweiler.  The first picture was the day we brought him home.  44 lbs and 3 months old.  My wife has plans to replicate the picture of her laying on the floor with the new micro bulldog.  Rufus rode home in the 4Runner.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
Were you 12 Jon?
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »
A dog's size and weight can be deceptive. They have a very high lean body mass compared to humans.

My little boy Yorkies averages about 8.5 lbs.  When I pick him up he feels like one of my 20 lb. barbell weights!

Nice photos!  I give your wife big kudos for her love of dogs.  There can never be too much love man's best friend!

Ask her if she would be interested in learning about some fascinating research about her new family member?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
A dog's size and weight can be deceptive. They typically have a high lean body mass compared to average humans.

My little boy Yorkie averages about 8.5 lbs.  When I pick him up he feels like one of my 20 lb. barbell weights!

Nice photos!  I give your wife big kudos for her love of dogs.  There can never be too much love man's best friend!

Ask her if she would be interested in learning about some fascinating research about her new family member?

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:16:13 PM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
OK... tell me that photo has not been manipulated with a photoshop type program.  If not, then that is a very cool snap shot.

Gnarls.

Not sure what screams photoshop about that ??? Basically the mother cat was pregnant, became un-pregnant, her nipples were obviously in use, and then about a month later she brought the kittens in one by one until she had all 4 in behind my couch which was HER favorite place when she was a kitten. the flash was on which kinda blinds them and makes them close their eyes (oops, cats have sensitive eyes too). not ideal for good pictures, but makes some funny ones.

this is another "good" one
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2017, 03:13:05 PM by 300k »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jun 01, 2017, 04:52:18 AM »
OK, 300k, I think you've proven my first impression of the photo was wrong.  I spent 20+ years in film photography as a hobby, and later about 5 years in scientific digital imaging, so when I see photos on the internet  today, 90% look photoshop'd to me.

PLEASE... be very careful with the new LED flash lights and camera LED flashes.  The intensity of the light can do permanent damage to the eyes of cats and dogs.  If you don't believe me, and I do NOT recommend this, take your little 9 LED Harbor Freight LED flash light powered by 3 little AAA batteries, shine it in your eyes at 2 feet for 1/2 second.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2017, 05:27:28 AM »
Fact or fiction?  Are dogs color blind?

Be honest!… WITHOUT clicking on your Google icon before you answer the question - What do you think?

Gnarls.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »
No
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
I don't believe they are.  They say deer are color blind too but we had a pet deer when I was a kid.  We fed it only green, peanut m&ms once, the green ones were her share, and if you gave it a choice it would pick only the green ones out of your hand after that.

In Montana we have to wear hunter orange during rifle season and they can definitely pick you our better when you are in orange rather than earth tones, even the orange camo that's supposed to work because they are color blind.

Animals may see differently, but I don't think they are truly color blind like black and white based on my experiences.
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
I don't believe they are.  They say deer are color blind too but we had a pet deer when I was a kid.  We fed it only green, peanut m&ms once, the green ones were her share, and if you gave it a choice it would pick only the green ones out of your hand after that.

In Montana we have to wear hunter orange during rifle season and they can definitely pick you our better when you are in orange rather than earth tones, even the orange camo that's supposed to work because they are color blind.

Animals may see differently, but I don't think they are truly color blind like black and white based on my experiences.

It would be interesting to know more about the difference in materials and how they reflect light.  The orange gear is intended to be visible so it may reflect light differently than another material of the same color.  I don't really know.  Animals do have a sensitivity for motion or anything that moves in a way that isn't natural to their environment.

I can say definitively that at a minimum some dogs are color blind.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
Cicero is having a two night "sleepover" at the vet for a little snip snip event.  We dropped him off last night and should get him back tomorrow morning.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »
Cicero is having a two night "sleepover" at the vet for a little snip snip event.  We dropped him off last night and should get him back tomorrow morning.

Why does he have to stay overnight at the vet?

Gnarls.