Author Topic: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!  (Read 10250 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3816
  • Male Posts: 3,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 07, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
Well, the answer is technically yes and no.....

Humans have trichromatic vision. In our eyes we have 3 light sensitive cones. Dogs have dichromatic vision, they only have 2 cones.  We have rods, for low light vision.  Dogs have many many more rods than humans.

Dog’s vision cannot sense the light spectrum that humans can see.  We can see a range of frequencies above infrared and below ultraviolet. 

Dog’s vision is deficient in red and green.  However, because they have way more rods than humans they have enhanced vision at very low light levels.  Their brain and eyes are tuned to motion and can detect very small changes in movement within their vision. If you were 100 yards away, walking down the sidewalk at night toward your dog sitting on your porch looking at you, they could recognize you immediately by your silhouette and your body movements.

Research scientists have determined that some breeds are near-sighted (e.g. toy poodle) and other breeds are far-sighted (e.g. Border Collie).

I have attached two simple color charts I created several years ago during my research.  It may not be exactly the color hues that dogs see, but it is probably very close.

I showed this to several Drs. at my vet clinic and I was surprised that had never seen such a comparison.  The topic of veterinary care is another important topic.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2017, 02:41:16 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR