Author Topic: 2jz swap possible?  (Read 9867 times)

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
2jz swap possible?
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
I came across a screamin deal on a NA 2jz.  i never really wanted to do a 2jz swap, but it was too good to pass.  So now im thinking about taking my 22re out and swapping in the 2jz.  However i have heard from someone else now that because its a car engine going into a truck the smog ref wont approve.  Ive tried to call the ref, and have left messages for him.  He hasn't returned any of my calls.  Does anyone know if this swap is possible with keeping it street legal here in California?
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 2jz swap possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
From the DMV site.

1. The new engine must come from the same kind of vehicle that the engine is going into. So a truck can only get an engine that was available in another truck.

So a 2JZ swap will not be legal, ever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
Move :)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
From the DMV site.

1. The new engine must come from the same kind of vehicle that the engine is going into. So a truck can only get an engine that was available in another truck.

That's how i was reading it too.  That's so ridiculous.  I can see them saying no to going the other way of putting a truck motor in a car, but to put a car motor in a truck you think would in general would be better for emissions.  I hate California.  Cant modify cars at all legally here. so annoying. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Ca is such a pain in the ass. Just go pay the extra $ for the "special" smog.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
well then does anyone want a 2jz out of a Lexus sc300? needs a head gasket.  The motor is torn down.  its been sitting for a minute so i would suggest honing the cylinders, they got a little surface rust on the inside of the cylinder. but other than that looks like a good motor. i don't want to swap it in and have a trailer queen. Ill give it away just get it out of my buddies garage.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
Ca is such a pain in the ass. Just go pay the extra $ for the "special" smog.

haha thats too much trouble finding someone that will take the cash and then having to do that every couple of years... naw.  Ill swap something i can smog the right way.

Move :)

but then i couldn't work for marlin if i moved  :ha_ha:

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
What part of CA are you in? I might have some interest

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
What part of CA are you in? I might have some interest

Fresno

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
From the DMV site.

Do you have a link?, the only thing I have found in the CA BAR's Engine Change Guidelines, is this,
Classification

Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non-emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off-road-use-only engines may not be placed in any exhaust-controlled vehicle.

There are two vehicle classifications in CA, passenger and commercial, passengers vehicles are generally those that weigh under 6000lbs unless you register them commercial as you can do with pick-ups, or when used as delivery vehicles, taxi service, etc,  If this is the difference in classification the BAR references, then you should be able to swap between car and truck under 6000lbs, providing the;
1. engine is the same year or newer,
2."new" engine's smog equipment and exhaust are attached, and
3. If host vehicle is CA spec, donor engine must be CA spec
4. from what I have read it seems that if using an OBDII engine, the ecu and smog equipment components on the engine must match the type of transmission being used in the vehicle, i.e. can't use an auto's ecu/smog equipment with a manual transmission or non electronically controlled auto trans.

The best way to get the correct answer, would be to go into the local "referee" and speak to the ref who would be doing the inspection directly, he will tell you whether or not if the car engine into light duty truck is possible to do, if he says no, go to another ref, or ask to speak to his supervisor to get clarification.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »

The best way to get the correct answer, would be to go into the local "referee" and speak to the ref who would be doing the inspection directly, he will tell you whether or not if the car engine into light duty truck is possible to do, if he says no, go to another ref, or ask to speak to his supervisor to get clarification.

unfortunately there is no direct line to the ref.  the phone number they give out is a ca call center and they direct it to the ref in your area to call you back "in between his work, in the next 4 days" the guy in my area never calls anyone back and he is the most strict when it comes to swaps from what ive heard

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
According to Asktheref.org, there are two within your area, one at Frenso CTC, and the other at the Modesto Community College.  You should be able to go to either one and speak to the ref directly, if you don't like what one says, get a second opinion.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
Modesto is a good 3 hours away.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
As long as the engine is newer and has all of the smog equipment associated with the vehicle it was removed from it can pass CA referee. Like stated above you cannot install a Heavy duty engine inside a light duty vehicle. Before the change was made to '75 cutoff it was a 30 year rule. My dad used to ref his FJ back in the day and has had a SBC in all its time. Here is a ARB link to help
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html.
I also thought there was a REF at COS in Visalia. There used to be at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »
As long as the engine is newer and has all of the smog equipment associated with the vehicle it was removed from it can pass CA referee.

That's what i thought to and i looked at the site before buying the engine.  But another guy here has a 1uzfe from a newer model lexus ls-400 and they wont let it pass ref because its a car motor in a truck.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
According to the link I provided it says nothing of the sort. Don't know where he is getting the ref done, but sounds like BS to me.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
ya like i said i bought the motor based on the same premise, looking at that link.  but now im being told cant be done and the ref wont return my calls. just called again. fingers crossed  :crossed: ill get a return call

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
I submitted a technical phone call through BAR and they will call me back. I'll post the findings. The person I spoke with over the phone basically said it doesn't matter if it was from a car or not. As the website says newer and meet all requirements of the vehicle the engine was removed from.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »
That's what i thought to and i looked at the site before buying the engine.  But another guy here has a 1uzfe from a newer model lexus ls-400 and they wont let it pass ref because its a car motor in a truck.

Aznwolf118, a member here did a 1uzfe swap and smog'd it last year, his build is here
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/212113-89-sleepy-build-experiment.html.

A google search brought up another in Vacaville
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/240-CA-C-A-R-B-Engine-change-swap-rules

car motor in a truck

Can't ask if you can put a car motor in a truck, you have to ask about doing an engine change between passenger vehicles, as pick-up trucks aren't "Trucks" as far as the gov. is concerned, they are considered light duty passenger vehicles.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Exactly passenger car and light duty. You say truck and they go bonkers.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Exactly passenger car and light duty. You say truck and they go bonkers.

I didnt say truck they dont ask year make model of what its going in the ask for the plate number and look it up themselves

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
but waiting for a call back. we shall see what they say. also don't know if its relevant anymore because im selling the truck i was going to put it in.  Got a 4 runner to build now.  :D :thumbs:

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
They asked me for plate and year make and model of both vehicles.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33:46 AM »
California is a gigantic catch 22. You have all the land and freedom to go Wheeling, but all sorts of restrictions about trucks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
Finally got a call back from the ref. Here was his words. First he told me i cant use a manual transmission because that motor never came with a manual trans. I told him yes it i did, it came with a w-58 trans.  He looked it up and told me i was correct, but if I'm going to use a manual trans than i have to get an ECU from a manual car, and then he told me it doesn't matter because  i cant fit that motor in my truck with the cooling fan and fan clutch and that i wouldn't be able to use a electric fans because that motor comes from the factory with a fan clutch and fan, not electric fans.  What any of that has to do with emissions i don't know. What does it matter if i use a manual trans ecu, or block the shift points in a auto ecu, and what cooling fans i use. Why does any of that make a difference for emissions? stupid California.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
Now it seems like they are just making up stuff as they please. It does not state anything on ARB website about cooling system. Strictly states emissions and the fans have nothing to do with that.....wow just wow.....
I'm still waiting for there call back and I am going to make some stuff very clear. Some of those refs are just book smart and not very vehicle knowledgeable. Most smog techs are that way as well. I worked with tons of smog techs that knew next to nothing about repairs and such. All they knew how to do was plug in the machine and the sniffer.

T-Revv [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Now it seems like they are just making up stuff as they please. It does not state anything on ARB website about cooling system. Strictly states emissions and the fans have nothing to do with that.....wow just wow.....
I'm still waiting for there call back and I am going to make some stuff very clear. Some of those refs are just book smart and not very vehicle knowledgeable. Most smog techs are that way as well. I worked with tons of smog techs that knew next to nothing about repairs and such. All they knew how to do was plug in the machine and the sniffer.

Hopefully you're not in the Fresno area Willard. that guy just is impossible to deal with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:13:31 AM by trevorg6 »

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
Finally got a call back from the ref. Here was his words. First he told me i cant use a manual transmission because that motor never came with a manual trans. I told him yes it i did, it came with a w-58 trans.  He looked it up and told me i was correct, but if I'm going to use a manual trans than i have to get an ECU from a manual car, and then he told me it doesn't matter because  i cant fit that motor in my truck with the cooling fan and fan clutch and that i wouldn't be able to use a electric fans because that motor comes from the factory with a fan clutch and fan, not electric fans.  What any of that has to do with emissions i don't know. What does it matter if i use a manual trans ecu, or block the shift points in a auto ecu, and what cooling fans i use. Why does any of that make a difference for emissions? stupid California.

From what I understand the electronically controlled automatic transmission equipped vehicles have lower emissions than their manual counterparts, therefore using that type of engine/ecu in w/a manual trans raises the engine's emissions which violates the swap regulations.  All you would have to do to use that engine is find its manual trans ecu, ebay has them for $2-300.

The fan and cooling sounds like the Ref is just making stuff up, he has no idea what the swap would end up looking like, for all he knows you may be planning on extending the engine bay, cut the firewall, relocate the rad to the bed, etc, to fit the engine.