Author Topic: How much vibes/noise from incorrect axle flange/driveline angles?  (Read 1890 times)

xnoahx

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a lot of noise in when I'm in 4wd starting at low speed and getting worse it I try to go faster. So far I know it's not coming from my front axle because I have pulled it apart and all the internals are in good shape. I just pulled my t-case to open that up next but I read the info that 4crawler has about driveline angles and it got me curious, the previous owner of my truck seems to have set it up with the rear diff angled up towards the t-case with a standard drive shaft, not a CV shaft. The front axle drive flange is not angled and again just a standard non CV drive shaft. With what I have read it now dawns on me that could be the source of my noise in 4wd. I understand this is not the correct way to have it set up and I either need to correct the angle of the rear axle or run a CV drive shaft. Front diff is open, rear has a detroit, stock 22re and 5 speed 87 4runner solid front axle

UPDATE: I have opened up my transfer case and so far everything looks really good inside. Everything spins freely and smoothly and the bearings look good too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:05:57 PM by xnoahx »

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
I am about to do a little test with the front axle not properly clocked and I will let you know, haha. I have a lift and until I do a cut and turn there is nothing I can do. It is a CV shaft but it is pointed too low.

You say 87. Is this an IFS front end? If so there should be a CV up front.

The noise is only in 4wd?

As for the back with a non-CV driveshaft you should not be pointing at the tcase. Flanges should be close to parallel, with the rear pointed a touch down from that. It will angle up a bit when you are on the gas. That mis-clocked driveshaft could be making a horrible noise. (My truck had that from the PO and it sounded like it was going to explode.)

85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

xnoahx [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Edited original post to include solid front axle. I'm a little mad at myself for not putting this together sooner as the possible problem before I got into my birfs and removed my front 3rd member and t-case. Oh well, experience is always good.

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
after thinking about it more, I'm doubting that simply a mis-clocked driveshaft is the cause of this noise. Those in my experience tend to be more of a vibration that isn't noticed until higher speeds. Severely effed up ujoints could do it though.

How did the third member look? If you look up the camo method on pulling steering knuckles it makes that job 100% easier.
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
I've heard some pretty hellacious noise from the trans/tcase area of several different Toyota's, that was caused by improper driveline/pinion angle or lack of a rear CV. I've setup drive line angles on quite a few rigs and in my experience the angles need to be pretty precise.  Just one or two degrees off on the rear shaft can cause trouble, the fronts are a lot more forgiving at trail speed.
However, These noises I mentioned have all occurred in 2wd at road speeds. I don't recall the noises being that noticeable in low range. 

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

xnoahx [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My noise is exclusively in 4wd, low and high. I can drive the truck normally in 2wd. My front third member looked great when I took it out, everything turns smoothly.