Author Topic: Toyotas leading the way for the International Scouts West  (Read 3670 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyotas leading the way for the International Scouts West
« on: Apr 23, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »
I wheel with people from the Frazier Park area and one of the clubs up there is Scouts West.
This weekend was there Western conference Spring event out at the Calico Mines near Barstow.
It was my second time attending and this year my rig was 3rd in line most of the way and didn't need to be winched over any obstacles thanks to the Marlin Crawler dual transfer case set in my rig along with being locked and properly sprung on her little 33" BFGs.
These International Scouts are some cool looking vehicles but, they are too heavy, under geared and driven by guys that need to lose weight so more than half of them had to be winched over obstacles and that turned a 5 hour ride into a hot and miserable 9 hour sit & wait.
Did I have fun, damn right.

We Yota guys were my 85 Xtra-Cab, my buddy Tony in his locked, lifted, geared, dual t cased,   24 valve 4 cam V6 95 2nd gen 4Runner on 37" Toyos and an 85 1st Gen 4Runner that made mine and Tony's rigs look like children's vehicles.
We had no problems what so ever, we are Toyota and all Marlin equipped.
I may wash my truck today, she earned some pampering.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Looks like fun, Id love to spend a day wheeling with scouts :usa: I have a 71 scout II, they are heavy chunks of American steel but that's part of the charm. Eventually I want to swap to a more modern engine, maybe an auto and use mine for a tow rig.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's not really fair to compare boat anchor heavy Scouts with an 85 Xtra-Cab that is pretty close to a perfect wheeling rig.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I wheel with a guy and his Scout with a 460 ford and auto, locked front and rear, he does just fine. Never winched on any runs our Club has been on even Heavy as a Whale.  Love to hear that 460 whine when he plants his foot and breaks loose those 37's.  I'll stick with my Yota, anytime over anything!  :biggthumpup:   
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I love wheeling with these IH Scouts and can hardly wait for next year and will be wheeling with some of them locally next month.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I think it's funny your comment on scout owners with most of them need me to lose a few pounds. Every scout owner unknow is a big boy. Pops had a scout ii when I was a kid. It was a fun little thing with a 4 cyl. Had 33 grand prix tires and would do about 50 wide open. My dad(a big guy lol) would put it in low range and pull the pin out of the shifter so I couldn't put it in high and let me go all day around the garden, through the yard, and up and down the dirt road. Man I loved that thing. It was pile of rust by the time I was 16. Otherwise it would have been my 1st vehicle.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

T-YotaFreak

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Those are some sweet toyotas!