Author Topic: 1983: Reagan, The Police, Return of the Jedi, Hobie Cats & this Toyota truck.  (Read 12866 times)

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek
The Toyota truck was one of the cooler things going on in 1983, right?  I was ten years old, impressionable, remember some good times... and always wanted a 4x4 with big tires.  Now I have two. 

This forum has been a great help already since I picked this running project up in late January this year.  Figured I'd use this thread to document what's getting done and hopefully get some input & ideas from knowledgeable enthusiasts. As a former aircraft mechanic, I like to try to fix things right the first time, so they last a long time. 

This is my 4th Toyota, previously had an 87 4x4 (rebuilt the 22re... twice), an 86 MR2 for a couple minutes, then 15 years ago I bought my 97 4Runner which has been significantly modded, wheeled, explored and DD over a large portion of the continental U.S., clocking 200k in that time. 

So the plan for this new-to-me 1983 SR5 is to keep it looking somewhat like it did when I got it (stockish), fix and/or update items & issues along the way, and basically keep it in service for the foreseeable future of internal combustion piston engines.  Plans include addition of 83-84 Celica EFI, or a possible 22RE or other 4 cylinder swap, addition of A/C, a modern invisible sound system (ok amp & speakers), some real bed tie-downs, and I'm sure I'll add to the list. 

A little background:  I'm the 3rd owner.  The truck was originally purchased as a Blue SR5 in SoCal, and according to the story, was daily driven from long beach to redlands or something like that for years by the original owner.  I'm not sure why, but a repaint happened toward the end of his ownership, I'm told his wife went to Home Depot, picked out a color, and had the truck sprayed.  It isn't a bad paint job, they removed most of the interior for it, but kept the engine bay original.  I believe the bedliner was sprayed about the same time, as well as a Rancho lift of a few inches installed.  "About 20" years ago the second owner bought it.  He moved from SoCal to Phoenix and used it as a DD.  Unfortunately he wasn't very mechanical, so while the body/frame are in great condition, the mechanicals seemed neglected.  The engine was replaced two times (I don't know why), the brakes were maintained well, and most of the electrical was fairly intact.  Everything else needed attention. 

In the interest of post count, I'll continue shortly (pics coming!)

Affectionately dubbed "Hector", as seen in the Craigslist ad when I bought it
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 06:30:10 PM by jgraham »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hector ran pretty well when I picked it up so I decided to start with the interior so I could keep driving it while working on it.  The driver's bucket seat foam was powder, the center dash was smashed, the gauge pod cracked and dangling, speakers zip tied under the dash, radio duct taped and hanging in the center.  However all the rest of the dash and dash pad were in great shape. 

I looked at CL and found a set of brand new Scion seats that a guy had pulled out to install racing seats instead...  I figured they were worth the $100 he was asking.  I was able to use the stock mounting bolt locations and mod the Scion seat rails to fit.  So both seats slide & recline.  The Scion headrests are massive, so I ended up using the original bucket headrests which surprisingly fit in the headrest holes.

The heater valve started leaking - I found the valve for an 84+ mounts up and needs a U hose to fit.  Got a new OEM Toyota heater valve. No pics for that right now. 

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The heater valve started leaking - I found the valve for an 84+ mounts up and needs a U hose to route back to the passenger side, found a Gates hose that fits perfect for that.  Got a new OEM Toyota heater valve. No pics for that right now.

If you look close in the prior new seat picture, you can see a clamp in the drivers door... holding up the window.  The drivers window regulator was toast, I'm not sure how/why the PO was able to live with pushing it up and down by hand... I wasn't going to be doing that. 
I found that an 83 or earlier regulator is either impossible or just expensive to obtain.  I decided to buy the 84+ and see if I could make it work.  With some cutting and welding and a few other adjustments, I was able to reclock it to work perfectly.  This one cost me $17 on Amazon.  I detailed this out on YotaTech if anyone needs the info... search window regulators.

Then it was on to door panels... the original blue vinyl ones were trashed... my $30 solution: wood panels, stain and spar urethane.

83 on top, 84+ bottom

While the blue would have been cool if everything was intact (exterior paint too), that isn't the case and so wanted to change it.  I debated a long time about painting interior parts.  Read countless forums, talked to friends, and the consensus was that it works if you do it right.  So I got some vinyl paint and some plastic paint.  Plastic paint doesn't work on vinyl I found out.  However, as skeptical as I was, I am happy with the results so far.  This isn't a show truck, I just don't want it to look like a hoopty when I'm driving it. 

Spurged for the NOS simulated wood grain center dash panel too...  :crazy:

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017, 07:02:39 PM by jgraham »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did a wash and wax before I dug into the nasty stuff...

I had plans for some new shoes... but the knuckles were puking so bad that I didn't want all that mung on the tires... so time for a rebuild.  Go the kit from Marlin, pretty nice kit.  I only question why there isn't a hub dial seal in it, but that's pretty minor.  First time for a solid axle rebuild for me, thankfully a buddy lent me a parts washer and I was able to put my new (to me) sandblast cabinet & 20 ton press to work. 

You all know what it looks like... but since I have the pics... you get to look at them too.   :ha_ha:

New shoes showed up... 31x10.50

Oh look, painted wheels  :hammerhead:

Installed some new Bilsteins all around, as well as extended SS brake lines.  Rebuilt the steering drag link.

More current interior pics... Marlin shifter seat & seal installed... big difference!  Got a new leather shifter boot from a dude on YT, nice stuff!

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got all those projects knocked out... installed wheels

Took it out for a test ride and promptly blew the head gasket.   Steamed up the entire neighborhood!!

The culprit:

Spotted this in my neighborhood... anybody recognize it?

Milled head ready for reinstallation...

Patiently waiting for a new heartbeat...

... to be continued.

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I vote for a 3rz swap with a w56. Best thing I ever did to my 83
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Dealing with this early 22r head led me on a search regarding engine / trans compatibility.  There's a lot of info out there, but not all concise and clear. 

But, correct me if I'm wrong:   a later model 22RE (say 86+) engine will bolt up to the L52, yes?

I know the heads aren't interchangeable due to block height.  For some reason I've been lead to believe that I'd have to swap my trans to use a later 22RE, but I'm not certain that is true. 
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yes, they are virtually the same block with minor differences that would not pertain to you if swapping in a 22re.  3rz would be cool, but doesn't seem to meld with this build
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Fun truck I really dig the use of the old stock steel wheels.  I finally got a set I will use on my '80 someday.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Diggin the build man! Definitely doin it with some style.. That is a clean ride, looks like a great starting point.

If you haven't already, check out what you can do to make it a bit more theft proof. My favorite is the loops welded on the gearshifts so you can lock it in 4lo and reverse. Seems that our trucks are pretty desirable these days.... and ive been watching better call saul, the two probably aren't related but I know theft is pretty bad in parts of Phoenix.
 :welcome: and ill be watching your build, i love the old 1st gens.

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I don't agree. A 22RE swap is a ton of work and could easily cost more than a 2rz/3rz swap and will barely make a difference. I would either keep the carb or put in a completely stock 2rz or 3rz with w series trans as suggested. A modern powerplant with obd diagnostic makes a world of difference. With the choices we have today, a 22RE should not be considered an "upgrade".
Anyway, that's a nice truck and very clean build

When I was searching for a truck the thought of the 3rz swap crossed my mind, but then I decided against it.  I just read your swap thread, very nicely done and it's making me strongly consider it.  Not sure if having the 22r makes it easier or more difficult (I don't even think I have an ECU?), but I'll look into it.  I have time.  I'd like to be able to drive this up to the mountains, so the carb isn't really ideal... and there's a number of other things about the current engine and it's condition that warrant a replacement of some sort in the future.  My 3.4 in my 97 is easily the best engine I've ever owned in terms of build quality and reliability, so the thought of having an equivalent (in engineering terms) in this truck is definitely nice.  We shall see... I haven't even driven it enough to fill the tank a second time yet. =)
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Diggin the build man! Definitely doin it with some style.. That is a clean ride, looks like a great starting point.

If you haven't already, check out what you can do to make it a bit more theft proof. My favorite is the loops welded on the gearshifts so you can lock it in 4lo and reverse. Seems that our trucks are pretty desirable these days.... and ive been watching better call saul, the two probably aren't related but I know theft is pretty bad in parts of Phoenix.
 :welcome: and ill be watching your build, i love the old 1st gens.

Thanks, I love them too and honestly spend (waste??) too much time trying to get info/exposure regarding them...    Good point on the theft prevention, it hadn't really crossed my mind.  I'm curious about the welded loops, would like to see how that was done.  Seems like a hassle, but then again I suppose not every single place I park would warrant getting a lock out and hooking it up.  Would love to see the face of a thief that got a truck started only to realize shifting was not an option.
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Fun truck I really dig the use of the old stock steel wheels.  I finally got a set I will use on my '80 someday.

When I saw those in the CL add I loved them immediately... still need to polish up the chrome trim rings and center caps and install... head gasket first tho...
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Nice looking SR5! The black dash has come up well. Every facia centre out here is destroyed as well so I hope you find a better one.
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
When I saw those in the CL add I loved them immediately... still need to polish up the chrome trim rings and center caps and install... head gasket first tho...

What size are those stock steelies? 15x6?
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What size are those stock steelies? 15x6?

EDIT:   Ooops I answered wrong... sorry... 15 x 5.5
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017, 11:16:22 AM by jgraham »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got the head gasket replacement all wrapped up along with new plugs, wires, heater hose & clamps... and a few other bits I'm forgetting.  Back on the road now  :beerchug:
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I'm glad you posted the pics of the door panels, they came out pretty nice!  I've been looking at options from aluminum (no thanks), to plastic, to particle board and recovering like stock, and this.  Only thing I think I would done differently is to bevel the holes for the screws so they don't stick out as much, or figure out how to recess stock-ish clips in the back.  The last option would be the cleanest, but would probably only work if you were covering the panels with vinyl or something.

Then it was on to door panels... the original blue vinyl ones were trashed... my $30 solution: wood panels, stain and spar urethane.

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm glad you posted the pics of the door panels, they came out pretty nice!  I've been looking at options from aluminum (no thanks), to plastic, to particle board and recovering like stock, and this.  Only thing I think I would done differently is to bevel the holes for the screws so they don't stick out as much, or figure out how to recess stock-ish clips in the back.  The last option would be the cleanest, but would probably only work if you were covering the panels with vinyl or something.

Thanks, man.  I was pretty happy with them... especially since they were sort of an inexpensive experiment, I didn't spend as much time as I could have. I'm more of a nuts & bolts guy than interior & design.  But, you're right, a hidden or blind fastener on the back would be really sweet.  The trim screws were sort of a cheat, but since I was using black on the rest of the interior, I thought they looked just fine, and it was easy/quick.  As a plus, I was able to use the rest of the screws all over the interior of the truck to standardize where there were random non-matching fasteners installed over the years: trim panels above seat belts, center dash bezel, gauge cluster, etc..

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Hey, whatever works for you on your truck is really what's best.  I went to lowes after work and remembered everything but the wood paneling.  Luckily I live nearly across the street
RIP KYOTA

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I vote for a 3rz swap with a w56. Best thing I ever did to my 83

Didn't take long, this is now where I'm at.  Starting the research.  RNC, I'm really interested in investigating your swap since we have basically the same truck.  I don't want to do a body lift... this truck has (I'm guessing) a 3 inch lift so I hope I can place the engine low enough to let the hood close. 

Looks like a W56 would be the best trans option since I can use my current xfer case, right?  I'm not clear on what bellhousing to source yet. 

I think I want to run the 3RZ ecu standalone... and integrate the few gauges I have if possible.  Physically want to keep the dash stock. 

Hoping to add A/C at the same time, what's the point of a fun dd truck without A/C in the summer here in AZ?

Going to start looking for a donor truck.  Can it be 2wd?  Auto? 

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I am loading up a 3RZ this weekend for a guy who is living in Utah. It is coming out of a 3RZ auto 4runner.  The 3RZ has a knock but we think it is just a balance shaft.  He was kind of waffling on the swap and considering selling the stuff.  Do you want me to get you in touch with him?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How thick are the pieces you used for the door panels?  I went to lowes and the thinnest they had was 1/4"
RIP KYOTA

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
No need for body lift. Engine will easily fit without it. You need a 3rz w series bellhousing. That is just the stock bellhousing that comes behind any 3rz that is standard shift. 
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
How thick are the pieces you used for the door panels?  I went to lowes and the thinnest they had was 1/4"

Receipt says 5mm.  Link to the SKU: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Underlayment-Common-5-0-mm-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-189-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-1507142/202089010
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am loading up a 3RZ this weekend for a guy who is living in Utah. It is coming out of a 3RZ auto 4runner.  The 3RZ has a knock but we think it is just a balance shaft.  He was kind of waffling on the swap and considering selling the stuff.  Do you want me to get you in touch with him?

Man I appreciate the heads up, but I'll pass for now.  When I'm ready I'll probably get a donor truck for some additional spare parts.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:11:27 AM by jgraham »
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No need for body lift. Engine will easily fit without it. You need a 3rz w series bellhousing. That is just the stock bellhousing that comes behind any 3rz that is standard shift. 

Thanks for the info, this is kinda what I wanted to hear.

83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Receipt says 5mm.  Link to the SKU: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Underlayment-Common-5-0-mm-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-189-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-1507142/202089010

Dude, you're awesome!  That's thinner than the ones at lowes, and they're even supposed to be in stock at my local store

RIP KYOTA

toy_tek [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Picked up an 87 W56 (B... I believe) & xfer case out of a truck with only 74k on it.  Search is on for a 3RZ now here in PHX.   
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner