Author Topic: Help me Oprah, Help me Tom Cruise... T-Case woes  (Read 2439 times)

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Help me Oprah, Help me Tom Cruise... T-Case woes
« on: Apr 02, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
86 4Runner, 22re, 5spd, SAS.
If I put the t-case in neutral the rear drive-line turns the front driveline when flat towing (or just spinning it by hand if jacked up) is this normal.
Reason I ask, in 4Hi anything more than 3rd gear at speed there is a howling, grinding, chattering, squealing noise I can not isolate. We thought it was in the front diffs, took the stock birf out, they had excessive play in the joint itself, the bronze spindle bushing were almost non existent. replaced, repack........... same noise. The open diff front had about .050" ring to pinion backlash. I have a lock-rite setup diff laying around, replace the entire differential. Everything in the front axle is NEW. Also new front and rear drive-lines (both u-joints, not CV's). 2wd it's perfectly fine, no noises. We are pulling the rear drive-line at the t-case today and going to run with the hub unlocked to see if we can isolate. I am seriously baffled. My little FJ40 has never pulled any :pokinit: like this and it has close to 500K.

Cheers!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
With the rear drive-line off and hubs unlocked, 4hi 3rd gear it sounds like U-joints binding up. The pinion angle is off, so for fun we loosened the u-bolts and shoved a wedge in to make the pinion to drive-line u-joint close to 0 degrees. The noise is 10X worse!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
86 4Runner, 22re, 5spd, SAS.
If I put the t-case in neutral the rear drive-line turns the front driveline when flat towing (or just spinning it by hand if jacked up) is this normal.

With the T-case in neutral, spinning one driveline should not spin the other.  Is the spinning direct, like they are connected?
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 01:57:50 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
With the T-case in neutral, spinning one driveline should not spin the other.  Is the spinning direct, like they are connected?

Actually, they are connected in neutral unless you have a twin-shifter.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Actually, they are connected in neutral unless you have a twin-shifter.......
:smack:, that's right, neutral disconnects the transmission from the drivelines, thinking it operated the same as the crawl box neutral.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well that answer question 1 of 2, we will need a twin stick, as this will be flat towed behind our RV and I want the T-case fully disconnected. The other, I am giving up and taking it in to West Coast Diff.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Better place instead of West Coast is River City Diffs in Rancho Cordova. Shawn (Gearman on PBB) is a hard core wheeler and knows what he is talking about!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity