Author Topic: No power to headlights. Bad fuse? Missing fuses?  (Read 13991 times)

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
No power to headlights. Bad fuse? Missing fuses?
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:22:31 PM »
Does anyone have a picture or a diagram of the fuse box under the dash for an 89 Toyota pickup 22re. I can't seem to find one online so I have no idea if it is put together correctly or If I'm missing any. Here Is a photo of it.

Also wondering why I have no power to the headlight fuses under the hood.

Thank you for all your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just looking for some help on building my first Yota!!!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Do you have power to the rest of the truck?  If not,  check the fusible link from the battery to the main fuse box in the engine bay.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Do you have power to the rest of the truck?  If not,  check the fusible link from the battery to the main fuse box in the engine bay.
Yes I have power to everything except the low and high beam head lights. I even bought new ones thinking the old ones were out but they still do not work

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The headlight fuses in the engine compartment operate the head light relays, they don't have any voltage until you turn the headlight switch on, they activate the headlight relays which IIRC are wired directly to the battery.

Inner fuses
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
No power to headlights. Bad fuse? Missing fuses?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2017, 04:15:56 PM »
What are you saying? Sorry I'm confused. They have no power even when the switch is turned on that's the problem. What is IIRC? And if that's the cover for the inner fuse box then does that mean I have too many fuses in mine? Or is that not the same cover?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
IIRC is If I remember correctly.

If there is no voltage to the engine bay headlight fuses w/the headlight switch turned on, then the problem is at the switch or relay.

My '90 3.0 and '91 22re both have the same layout which is the following

Yours should be

Do you hear the headlight relay under the dash click when you turn the headlight switch?
Do the high beams come on when you pull back on lever?
Do the dash lights come on when you turn on the headlights?
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 08:16:13 PM by Snowtoy »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
If I remember correctly, Toyota has the lighting circuit backwards............

The switch doesn't supply current to the headlights, but grounds the headlights......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly, Toyota has the lighting circuit backwards............

The switch doesn't supply current to the headlights, but grounds the headlights......

Correct, it completes the ground for the relay.

These links may be helpful
https://www.yotatech.com/f116/headlight-problem-fixed-low-beams-dont-work-but-high-beam-indicator-229946/
https://www.yotatech.com/how-tos/a/toyota-4runner-1984-1995-electrical-diagnostic-guide-414700

From the FSM

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 08:23:24 PM by Snowtoy »

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
IIRC is If I remember correctly.

If there is no voltage to the engine bay headlight fuses w/the headlight switch turned on, then the problem is at the switch or relay.

My '90 3.0 and '91 22re both have the same layout which is the following

Yours should be

Do you hear the headlight relay under the dash click when you turn the headlight switch?
Do the high beams come on when you pull back on lever?
Do the dash lights come on when you turn on the headlights?
I hear a click when I turn the switch. No the high beams do not come on. Yes the dash lights come on. How do I know if the problem is at the switch and if so how do I fix it?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
I hear a click when I turn the switch.
Are you hearing the "click" of the switch, or the tail light relay?  Do you have taillights?  Do the taillights work?

Yes the dash lights come on.

With dash lights working, it is likely not the switch, especially if the taillights work as well.

How do I know if the problem is at the switch and if so how do I fix it?

Test the continuity of the switch for the headlights at the harness under the steering column, you will need a multi tester to test the continuity. The page from the manual  I posted shows you where the terminals are in the harness, and what two you need to test the continuity of, it also shows how to test the relay.

Have you tested the headlight relay?

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2017, 11:36:51 AM by Snowtoy »

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Diagram:

-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Are you hearing the "click" of the switch, or the tail light relay?  Do you have taillights?  Do the taillights work?

With dash lights working, it is likely not the switch, especially if the taillights work as well.

Test the continuity of the switch for the headlights at the harness under the steering column, you will need a multi tester to test the continuity. The page from the manual  I posted shows you where the terminals are in the harness, and what two you need to test the continuity of, it also shows how to test the relay.

Have you tested the headlight relay?
Yes the clicking is coming from the headlight relay. Yes the taillights work. Where do I go now?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Looking at your first pic posted, it appears that you don't have the headlight relay plugged in the pic you posted, as well as a possible blown fuse.

Do you have the fuse box cover?  If so, does it look like this?

If it does, then part of the problem is not having the headlight relay installed.

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Looking at your first pic posted, it appears that you don't have the headlight relay plugged in the pic you posted, as well as a possible blown fuse.

Do you have the fuse box cover?  If so, does it look like this?

If it does, then part of the problem is not having the headlight relay installed.

Yes I have the cover and yes I do have a relay there I had just taken it out For the photo. But they still do not work I am going to replace the one under the dash and see if that works.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Yes I have the cover and yes I do have a relay there I had just taken it out For the photo.
Just checking.

I am going to replace the one under the dash and see if that works.
No point in replacing the relay under the dash, it is for the taillights.  I asked about it and the dash lights to try and rule out a ground issue.

Can you hear the headlight relay(engine bay) click when you turn on the headlights?  Should be able to hear it if you stand outside the truck and turn the headlights on.

You can test the relay, or just buy a new one.

When you were checking voltage at the headlight fuses, did you check to see if you had voltage at the relay?

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Just checking.
No point in replacing the relay under the dash, it is for the taillights.  I asked about it and the dash lights to try and rule out a ground issue.

Can you hear the headlight relay(engine bay) click when you turn on the headlights?  Should be able to hear it if you stand outside the truck and turn the headlights on.

You can test the relay, or just buy a new one.

When you were checking voltage at the headlight fuses, did you check to see if you had voltage at the relay?
Yes I have voltage at the relay. And the relay is brand new I just paid $20 for it. I have no idea if I can hear it I will test that tomorrow. It's been a long day of not getting my truck to turn over. Having an issue somewhere I just don't know where yet. Have spark and gas but doesn't want to start.