Author Topic: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.  (Read 70915 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.
« Reply #120 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
I'm gonna see if I can get away without using the gasket set, as that would save me about 16 bucks. The silicone should be enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »
 :shake: Oh God not the right stuff again, LOL.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #122 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
:shake: Oh God not the right stuff again, LOL.
It's got big claims. If it holds that's all I care about! I'm just trying to get this emgime to last a little while longer. My new motor will be using only the finest Permatex or toyota FIPG

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #123 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
Looking good so far, put a bolt in it. No leaks.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #124 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Its a junkyard upgrade to a 3 core instead of a 2 core. It depends on your climate. If youre in the desert or a mildly warm place with a lot of hills, V6 all the way.  If it gets real cold, your heater might not be as warm.

Naaahh..... you don't need anything other than stock for stock engine that is healthy.  I ran the Toy 2-core and a 3-core with an AutoMeter mechanical temp gauge and I could not tell any difference.  The 3-core size dropped the bottom down an inch or so, and the top of the radiator was up about a 1/2" or so.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #125 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
Naaahh..... you don't need anything other than stock for stock engine that is healthy.  I ran the Toy 2-core and a 3-core with an AutoMeter mechanical temp gauge and I could not tell any difference.  The 3-core size dropped the bottom down an inch or so, and the top of the radiator was up about a 1/2" or so.

Gnarls.

So what you are saying is that your thermostat was working properly?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #126 on: Oct 11, 2017, 05:47:34 AM »
So what you are saying is that your thermostat was working properly?

Well... I assume the thermostat was working properly... I didn't have any over heating issues here in Phoenix area during the summer months at 110 to 115+ temperatures with AC on MAX.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #127 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
Im wondering how you can tell toybrota that he doesn't need a 3 core v6 radiator. It is personal preference to have and not need the extra cooling ability. I in no way disagree that a stock 4 cylinder radiator is sufficient in a stock application. I am however confused on your comment of how you noticed no difference. If your thermostat is functioning properly you could have a massive radiator from a d9 dozer connected to your engine and it would still run at the temperature determined by the thermostat. That being said i am nowhere near as grammar savvy as you and im sure you will retort with some long drawn out spill of knowledge that i am not capable of understanding. I just had to ask.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #128 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Im wondering how you can tell toybrota that he doesn't need a 3 core v6 radiator. It is personal preference to have and not need the extra cooling ability. I in no way disagree that a stock 4 cylinder radiator is sufficient in a stock application. I am however confused on your comment of how you noticed no difference. If your thermostat is functioning properly you could have a massive radiator from a d9 dozer connected to your engine and it would still run at the temperature determined by the thermostat. That being said i am nowhere near as grammar savvy as you and im sure you will retort with some long drawn out spill of knowledge that i am not capable of understanding. I just had to ask.
Oh I am just gonna use the stock one because stock application, I don't rock crawl my truck every day. It takes me to work and to the girls place that's all it needs to do! Hence why I'm not building a crazy stroker build. Stock rad best rad.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #129 on: Oct 11, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
Oh I am just gonna use the stock one because stock application, I don't rock crawl my truck every day. It takes me to work and to the girls place that's all it needs to do! Hence why I'm not building a crazy stroker build. Stock rad best rad.

here's my theory, if youre replacing something. always spend just a little more if you have the room in your pocket for an upgraded/better part. it gives you piece of mind if youre ever in a spot where that extra is needed. Also it will never let you down as its intended for something more. Why not go for the 3 core now and then you wont waste money down the road on the 2 core when you decide a 3 core is necessary. I dont like spending money twice.

spot on.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #130 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »

Hey redneckcustoms13,

There are a few guys I know that know more about engine building, 4-wheeling, and fabrication than anyone else I’ve met and several could not compose a grammatically correct sentence to save their butts and they would never think about entering a spelling bee.  BUT… I would trust their knowledge and opinion over anyone else I know or some fancy writing geek!!  :thumbs:

I’m on my 14th Toyota vehicle and my 4th Toyota truck.  If the Toyota engineers figured that a 3-row radiator was necessary, there would be millions and millions of Toyota trucks with 3-row radiators.  :dunno:

If I were hauling all the time or had a modified engine, I would beef up my truck including a larger capacity radiator.  :biggthumpup:

I bought the 3-row because NAPA at that time had one in stock.  It bolted up to my 1985 22R standard cab, but it stuck up an about an inch and below about an inch from the stock 2-row and I was concerned that the bottom was more exposed to possible rock damage.  I could not tell any difference on my water temp gauge.  I hauled a fully loaded bed to Mexico several times when it was 110 degrees here.  I pulled a 21 foot ski boat on a tandem trailer with the bed loaded down for a 3-day week end in the middle of July here when it was 110 degrees.....Never once did I see an over-heating problem with my original stock 2-row or the 3-row.  :greengrin:

redneckcustoms13, my limited experience with Toyota engines would not make a pimple on your butt.  :beerchug:

By the way… I will never apologize for my pomp ‘n stink skills.  :moon:

Gnarls. :D

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2017, 06:45:11 AM by Gnarly4X »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #131 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
Hey redneckcustoms13,

There are a few guys I know that know more about engine building, 4-wheeling, and fabrication than anyone else I’ve met and several could not compose a grammatically correct sentence to save their butts and they would never think about entering a spelling bee.  BUT… I would trust their knowledge and opinion over anyone else I know or some fancy writing geek!!  :thumbs:

I’m on my 14th Toyota vehicle and my 4th Toyota truck.  If the Toyota engineers figured that a 3-row radiator was necessary, there would be millions and millions of Toyota trucks with 3-row radiators.  :dunno:

If I were hauling all the time or had a modified engine, I would beef up my truck including a larger capacity radiator.  :biggthumpup:

I bought the 3-row because NAPA at that time had one in stock.  It bolted up to my 1985 22R standard cab, but it stuck up an about an inch and below about an inch from the stock 2-row and I was concerned that the bottom was more exposed to possible rock damage.  I could not tell any difference on my water temp gauge.  I hauled a fully loaded bed to Mexico several times when it was 110 degrees here.  I pulled a 21 foot ski boat on a tandem trailer with the bed loaded down for a 3-day week end in the middle of July here when it was 110 degrees.....Never once did I see an over-heating problem with my original stock 2-row or the 3-row.  :greengrin:

redneckcustoms13, my limited experience with Toyota engines would not make a pimple on your butt.  :beerchug:

i think what were getting at is. a properly working thermostat in conjunction with a larger 3 row.. you would not see a drop in temp. as the engine would be allowed to get to the operating temp the thermostat is designed for. that same thermostat with a smaller radiator could present issues in the same strenuous situations. I would prefer that piece of mind. and to say engineers would have put it there if it was needed doesnt really say much. as recalls happen and being an engineer doesnt mean its perfect.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #132 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
Hey redneckcustoms13,

the way I see it is the later models of 22R DID infact have 3 core, and all the v6 radiators are 3 core and taller .  my V6 rad is about three inches tallerand about 3/4 in wider. I had to use a grinder and clearance the frame rails on the inside.    It kinda sucked BUT  my engine is far from stock, I haul some pretty crazy loads (least ways before it froze) and will again.  I always run a 180* thermostat with a 1/8th inch hole drilled in it to prevent hotspots. 

if I was working on a truck that was a southern truck or going out to the southwest i would install a larger radiator.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #133 on: Oct 15, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »
the way I see it is the later models of 22R DID infact have 3 core, and all the v6 radiators are 3 core and taller .  my V6 rad is about three inches tallerand about 3/4 in wider. I had to use a grinder and clearance the frame rails on the inside.    It kinda sucked BUT  my engine is far from stock, I haul some pretty crazy loads (least ways before it froze) and will again.  I always run a 180* thermostat with a 1/8th inch hole drilled in it to prevent hotspots. 

if I was working on a truck that was a southern truck or going out to the southwest i would install a larger radiator.

The way I see it… you can install any size you want, for whatever reason you feel you need to install a larger radiator.

When my first 1986 Toyota Longbed, automatic was hit head on by a Chevy Blazer, the fan was smashed into the factory 2-row radiator. The fan would not spin, but the water pump was turning.  I drove the truck 150 miles from Big Bear Lake to San Diego, and the water temp needle never moved passed normal.

Like I said, living in the Phoenix area for 26 years though every 100+ summer temps, pulling trailers, and many off-road trips with a fully loaded bed for week end and 4-day events, I never had a problem with over-heating.  I’ve had both my Toy trucks in the sand dunes, duning with the rails and quads while taching 4000 to 5000 RPMs most of the day and NEVER had a problem over heating.  :blah:

If I had an over heating issue, I'd definitely look at a larger radiator.

99% of the factory radiators are either 2 row or 1 row.  Even the heavy duty RV radiators are 1 and 2 rows.

There are 3-row radiators available as an optional part, but even big block engines rated at 500+ HP are mostly 2-row… Why is that?  :dunno:

What Toyota V-6 engine came from the factory with a 3-core radiator?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 05:02:31 AM by Gnarly4X »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #134 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
The way I see it… you can install any size you want, for whatever reason you feel you need to install a larger radiator.

When my first 1986 Toyota Longbed, automatic was hit head on by a Chevy Blazer, the fan was smashed into the factory 2-row radiator. The fan would not spin, but the water pump was turning.  I drove the truck 150 miles from Big Bear Lake to San Diego, and the water temp needle never moved passed normal.

Like I said, living in the Phoenix area for 26 years though every 100+ summer temps, pulling trailers, and many off-road trips with a fully loaded bed for week end and 4-day events, I never had a problem with over-heating.  I’ve had both my Toy trucks in the sand dunes, duning with the rails and quads while taching 4000 to 5000 RPMs most of the day and NEVER had a problem over heating.  :blah:

If I had an over heating issue, I'd definitely look at a larger radiator.

99% of the factory radiators are either 2 row or 1 row.  Even the heavy duty RV radiators are 1 and 2 rows.

There are 3-row radiators available as an optional part, but even big block engines rated at 500+ HP are mostly 2-row… Why is that?  :dunno:
big block engines have enormous radiators,  the one in my suburban is probably 34 inches between the tanks, making it around 40 overall width, 18 inches tall (as it sits) and its a "2 core" BUT those cores are over and inch each not like the toyota cores that are maybe a 1/2 inch each

What Toyota V-6 engine came from the factory with a 3-core radiator?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

almost every v6 88-95 4runner i have ever looked at had a 3 core

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #135 on: Oct 17, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
Hey everyone, wanted to show my next interior upgrades!

Being that I'm spending a lot of money on an Engine rebuild, I want to make sure I know everything about that engine while it's running.

So, I'm gonna install some custom gauges!

The plan is to get this:

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/shop/gauge-pods/universal-3-gauge-pod-right-side/

And mount that on my dash (where the clinometer would go if I had one)

And couple that with 3 gauges, Oil Pressure, Volts, and water temp.

Now, my question is, will my oil pressure sender (the one I bought for the SR5 cluster that was broken) work with an electrical oil pressure gauge? I know the mechanical ones require the oil line, I don't want that.

Anyways, here's a pic

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #136 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
Why not find the factory 4runner tilt thing and put gauges in it?
06 tacoma street truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #137 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
Because that's way easier said than done. They are impossible to find at junk yards here.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Go with the gauge pillar instead. Trust Me!
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100515.150
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #139 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
Might actually look into doing this if I don't go with bestgen's idea, I saw on his thread what he did for his switches, would look nice with gauges!

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #140 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
Go with the gauge pillar instead. Trust Me!
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100515.150
I will definitely look into it, just spent the last 15 minutes skimming through your build thread to find the link! Thanks!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
That switch panel was quite the project. I am super happy with it, but man was it a lot of time and effort. Save that spot for the switches.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #142 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
Since breakups suck I decided to deal with it by visiting my second home, Moab. Some solo camping really clears the mind.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #143 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »
Wanted to show this gem... I work at a Toyota dealership and we rarely see trucks like this.

I think it's an 87, SR5 Turbo Xtracab!!!

The kicker is, 99,000 original miles. Fully set up, power everything.

I wish this was my truck... Hope I don't get in trouble for showing this!
This thing is worth like what, 10K?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #144 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Egh, is say closer to about 5k. It's not that clean, nor does it have a manual trans. Turbo trucks aren't that rare actually.
06 tacoma street truck

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #145 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
Took quite the trip this weekend (To me, that is) 300 miles to Mesquite Nevada. Truck did it just fine! Hoping the drive back tomorrow, is just as good. There is some fun trails here, too.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #146 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
Hey everyone, I seem to be having a weird grinding noise when my hubs are locked, seeing as I just rebuilt my knuckles, I'm a little worried.

It only happens when they are locked, and in 2WD.  The noise is not present when they are unlocked and in 4WD. Not, while in 4WD with them locked.

Any one have any ideas? I was thinking it could be the spindle bushings, which I replaced, but I don't think so as it would happen with the truck in 4WD, with the hubs unlocked.

I'm thinking Hubs? The truck does have 330K on the original hubs... It's not constant either, it's internment, and happens randomly.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
Remove the front driveline and see if it is still there. That way you know it's coming from the front axle.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #148 on: Nov 08, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »
Remove the front driveline and see if it is still there. That way you know it's coming from the front axle.
I know that it is, it happens while in 4WD without the hubs locked, meaning the birfs are turning, and the diff is too. Just not the hubs.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Nov 08, 2017, 05:03:46 PM »
Pull the selector hub off, one at a time, duct tape some plastic on, just to avoid debris, and go for a drive.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.