Author Topic: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.  (Read 71854 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: ToyBrota's 85 Xtracab Build up.
« Reply #300 on: Apr 23, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
Hey Gnarly, I went ahead and took your advice and ordered a input shaft seal too. From Toyota of course.

I have been thinking about purchasing a new clutch disk, as you said a failing rear main can destory an already fine working clutch.
I have no reason to believe that the clutch is bad, it engages just as good as the day I installed it 9 months ago.
If anything clutch related were to go bad, it would just be the disk itself. Would you recommend a place where I can buy just the disk? I don't need a whole Marlin clutch kit.

As far as the rear main, I have an OEM Toyota seal going on with a seal saver for LCE. I am also re-sealing the pan as well. It doesn't leak, but you can't really do a rear main properly without it.

I'm starting this weekend, since I've done it all before I should have it done in a day's work. Hopefully...

Aside from the rear, I'm doing the front oil seal as well. Again a Toyota seal. The front seal doesn't sit as far into the pump, therefore there isn't a need to use a seal saver.

Any advice on the clutch would be great. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Further investigations have shown that gear oil is leaking... Not engine oil.
Which is strange, as I remember it being engine oil before. Having tasted and smelled both I can tell them apart.
At least I'll have both seals on hand.
What prevents the new seal from leaking? Won't it just ride in the old groove?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk