Author Topic: #turdburglar  (Read 20317 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: #turdburglar
« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2020, 04:36:09 AM »
When read and see these posts and nice photos I’m somewhat envious of the skill, talent, tools, time and money that goes into that type of fabrication.  It really does look awesome!

However, it looks structurally overkill and very heavy to me. :disturbed:

I 4-wheeled very actively (2 to 4 weekends a month) for almost 20 years. I wheeled some the hardest rockcrawling trails and challenging terrains in California, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Sonora Mexico.

My old pickup was mostly stock: 3200 lbs. 1985 Toyota pickup 22R Standard Cab, straight axle, Marlin Crawler t-case, 5-speed, 4” lift, Detroit locker rear and Lock Right in the front, 4:10 R&Ps, and 33” muds.

I only broke about 4 times as I remember – a J-arm on Pritchett Canyon (my fault – I backed up with wheel cranked too hard – my spare was on in less than 20 minutes), and a rear leaf spring (I had a repair clamp on in 10 minutes).  I tore the rear diff drain plug on the Dusy Irshim (it was welded up in about 15 minutes by Ray Currie).  And, the driver's side motor mount broke in Moab on the Moab Rim (I had a piece a chain and bolted it on in about 15 minutes).  I never punctured a tire and had only minor to moderate body damage.  After terrorizing the rocks on trails on weekends, I drove it back and forth to work 5 days a week.

I guess I could say I was really lucky. :dunno:

Gnarls. :blah:

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2020, 04:59:54 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein