Author Topic: Gear drive or chain drive transfer case ...pros n cons???  (Read 4186 times)

HBlom

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Gear drive or chain drive transfer case ...pros n cons???
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
Good day, I'm new here(did the intro) ... Been on here lots, just never posted a project.  I'm building a bit of a b*std of a vintage 1957 Land Rover(not enough left to worry about cutting it up)with Toyota driveline..in Norway. I had originally used the entire eng/Trans 5spd/transfer case and straight axles from my 1985 Hilux with the 2.4l non-turbo diesel after the truck rusted away from the perfect mechanicals..That is already installed in the frame, mounts made, rear driveshaft made...then off course I got wise and bought a 1994 4-runner with rust issues that has the 3.0l 1kzt turbo deisel motor and R150F 5 spd. It as well has the 4 pinion limited slip diff in 4.10 ratio which are stronger than the hilux and also a bit wider. I'll use the IFS hub from the 4Runner on my hilux front axle and vented discs to gain the width to match the rear.....so my long winded question is, should I get the adapter shaft to use the R150F Trans(this I will use for sure)but with the older gear driven transfer case from the Hilux? I want it to be as bulletproof as possible. I'll be tuning the 1KZT a bit and have both a water/meth inj kit as well as propane options. Big exhaust and big intercooler are already in placed . 300-400 ft-lbs of Tq would be nice after tuning, but not used very often. Mainly for when heavily loaded and going over a mountain pass.
I know the chain case is supposed to be able to shift on the fly, which is nice, but what are other concerns? I kinda like the cable speedo from the gear drive vs electronic as i want old gauges, but could get a vintage looking electric speedo. It will mainly be a daily driver and going to the mountains in the snow, some offroading, but nothing too crazy rock climbing like some of you. Towing another car should be no issue for it. .

Options or opinions?
Thanks, Hans

HBlom [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A few chitty pics.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
Chain drive cases have mechanical speedometers. Chain drive case are durable. Shift on the fly from 2hi to 4hi would be awesome.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Hans, I really like your project. Very unique. Like the other guys have said, run that chain case and save your money for other parts that will be needed. If your not crawling and you spent most time snow wheeling or climbing hills wheel speed can be your friend.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Also just noticed. What's up with the spring under set up running mini truck axles? Any particular reason for doing that?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

HBlom [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice guys. It would save time and money just using as is. My chain case definitely has electric speedo sender, but if you guys have cable, that means it's likely easy to convert. I think I'll just run the chain case and put the gear driven under a bench for a rainy day.
The reason for the mini truck axles in the first place was I had them, they are pretty strong and easy to get parts for. I'll swap the bigger 8" 4pinion in the rear. Just pulled it out today, it's a beast compared to the mini truck axle.
The reason for spring under was its a military chassis which has factory raised spring mounts as well as military extended shackles with parabolic springs...it sits great as it is, with spring over I would have had to run 37s to not look like an smuck...;)

Not much left of the 4-Runner...;)