Author Topic: Help putting a w56 in to replace a g54  (Read 3741 times)

snowcrash

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Help putting a w56 in to replace a g54
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've got a 1987 yota 4wd pickup with a 22r in it and the transmission lost 1st and 2nd gear.  We didn't want to spend a lot of money to rebuild it so we started looking for used ones to put in it.  Well, my dad bought one from a guy yesterday that said it came out of an 87 but he was unable to use it so he bought it.  Turns out that I thought something was different about it but doing a little research, it seems to be a W56.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but the search really didn't help me out a whole lot.  Is it possible to put this tranny into my truck and if so what will I need to do to make it work?

Also, it didn't come with the transfer case so I would have to reuse the one I have.  It seems like I have read that it is possible since it should bolt up and then I read things will need to be changed?

I have no idea so I'm trying to figure out what all will need to be done to make it work and what will it cost to do?  This transmission didn't come with the shifter so I guess we'll have to get one of them if we can even make the w56 work.  I guess we should have researched a little better but we were just trying to find a deal on one to replace our broken unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.
Thank you,
Charlie

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Help putting a w56 in to replace a g54
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
both the g54,and the w56 are the same length, looks like the g54 is a forward shift tcase, is the new transmission a forward shift? if so, you shouldn't have any problems. if new transmission is a topshift, you will need a topshift conversion for that forward shift tcase
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

snowcrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
I'm sorry for not being smart in this subject, but when you say forward and topshift transmissions, what are the differences in the two?  I haven't really paid much attention to the transmissions in the truck, but it seems like the one in the truck is different than what we bought.

I read that 22r's came with a g54 and the 22re's came with the w56.  It would be great to use a conversion but also didn't know if my transfer case will work with the w56 or there is something else that needs to be done?

snowcrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
Sorry, I read your answer wrong.  The way my setup is now, I believe the transmission shifter is in the front, and then the 4wd shifter is directly behind it.

If I could post a picture then I would but the if you just had the transmission, it looks like the shifter is in the middle with 4 bolts and then about an inch the shifter for the 4wd is there with 4 bolts holding that shifter plate down.  It seems like the transfer case is bolted up to the rear of the transmission but the shifter for the 4wd is actually part of the transmission??

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.  The transmission we bought, the shifter seems to be all the way to the back of it almost where the 4wd shifter is on ours now?

snowcrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
Since I can't post my own attachments, I'll try to post links to show what I have
This is a g54 from marlins website but this is what mine looks like from the top,
https://www.marlincrawler.com/sites/all/marlin/files/g54-rear.jpg

I'm assuming we have some sort of a w56-b that we bought.  The guy said it was from an 87 and that is why I say it is a w56-b.  It looks like this from the top,
https://www.marlincrawler.com/sites/all/marlin/files/w56-b-rear.jpg

The guy didn't have the top part either that holds the shifter down so that's missing and we would have to have that also I'm assuming.

Thanks for any help

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuilt-complete
take a look, maybe you can determine with pics

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
So the first pic of g54 is forward shift, 2nd pic is top shift, you will need a topshift conversion kit.

snowcrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
Sorry, I appreciate you getting back to me but I got busy with work and the truck is on idle.

I understand that the g54 is a forward shift and the w56 is a top shift?

You maybe have answered it, but I just can't figure it out.  How does a topshift conversion kit work?

My original g54 had two shifters on the transmission and the transfer case I'm assuming bolts to the rear of the tranny.

The w56 we bought, only has one shifter hole in it and I guess that the transfer case shifter is on the actual transfer case?  Is that correct.

How does a topshift kit make it work since you only have one shifter hole in the w56 but the transfer case that came with the g54 is supposed to have its own shifter hole in the transmission it was supposed to come with?

Hope this makes sense but hopefully you can help me understand it better.  Is there any pictures of what has to be done or pdf that explains it and shows beginning and finish product?

Erick561

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 909
  • Member since May '14
  • Toyota Truck Dismantlation
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Truck Dismantlation 75-95 Toyota Pickup 4Runner Parts
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182067922042
was going to ask you to post pictures but i see links now