Author Topic: Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid  (Read 14468 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid
« on: Dec 11, 2016, 12:56:36 PM »
This about my 2013 Corolla, however it may be of interest to the people driving a Tacoma or Tundra.

I drained 80 oz. from my automatic tranny on my 2013 Corolla LE 1.8L engine.  It has 80,800 miles.  I did quite a bit of research on transmission fluid changes.  As usual, transmission fluid type, brands, and changes vs flush seems to have lots of intense discussions and debate on the Toyota vehicle forums I looked at.

The Toyota factory maintenance says life time on transmission fluid.  After three different discussions at my Toyota dealer, I got somewhat different information.  The Service Manager did not have any specific recommended fluid change interval other than the Factory life time – no maintenance required.  He said if the fluid appears to be burnt or dirty, they would recommend a fluid flush and change.  The parts guy said a fluid drain and refill will only take about 2 ½ quarts, and he would change it before 100,000 miles.

The Owner’s Manual says 6.9 quarts for capacity of this transmission.  I could only get 80 ounces (2.5 quarts) through the drain plug.  2.5 quarts is only about 36.3% of the capacity, so it will freshen up the mix.  I could disconnect the line into the tranny and drain it into a container, let the engine idle as I add new fluid through the dip stick tube until I see clean red fluid, but I decided no to do that this time.

After looking at the fluid, I would NOT have gone to 80,000 miles.  Knowing what I know now, I would drain 2.5 quarts and change at no longer than 40,000 miles.  If I still have the car, will change it again at 100,000 miles.  I realize that Toyota engineers are very smart, but I don’t believe they have formulated some miracle transmission fluid that will go the life time of a vehicle. You can see for yourself in attached photo comparing what I drained out of my tranny at 80,800 miles into a very clean plastic bottle, and the fresh World Standard Toyota fluid.

Whether to use Toyota’s recommended World Standard fluid or use something else is a no-brainer for me. There’s enough data by some very reputable sources that says Toyoto’s World Standard is very specifically formulated for their designed automatic transmissions.  Using another brand to save $3 or $4 per quart seems very risky.  I paid $9.45 per quart for WS at my local Toyota dealer. Castrol’s Transmax is about $7.00 a quart at Autozone.

Thank you :)bestgen4runner for your input  :smooch:

That’s just my worthless opinion.

Gnarls. :spin:
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2016, 03:11:44 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
my gal drives a 13 corolla s. she has 38,000 roughly. I'm getting ready to do this. so I'm thinking of buying 8 qts. 2.5,drive for 100 miles. drain, 2.5 qts, another 100 miles, then drain and fill one more time.thanks gnarls
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
Typical automatic tranny fluid likes to live at around 175F to 180F degrees.  I would bet that Toyota’s WS fluid is synthetic and can live longer, handle more heat, like synthetic motor oil.  ATF is a detergent oil and it is also hydroscopic (absorbs water moisture - like brake fluid).  Since heat is what kills oil and tranny fluid, I would bet that the Toyota engineers have designed their transmission coolers very smartly, keeping their WS fluid cool, thus making it last to 100K miles.

Here’s my weird logic…

If the fluid’s capacity to perform without damaging the transmission components (clutches and seals) was on a linear scale of mileage, and let’s say good up to 100,000 miles, under normal vehicle operation, then at 40,000 miles is about 40% “used up”.

So if I change my tranny fluid at 40,000 and I replenish the 6.9 quarts with 36.3% new fluid (2.5 quarts), 36.3% of 40,000 is 14,520.  14,520 minus 40,000 is 25,480 miles. So I have now reconstituted my 6.9 quarts of fluid back to a level of use to 25,480 miles, or about 25% of its life span. If I drive my car with its transmission running with fluid at a performance level of only 25% of its life, it would seem to be very acceptable.  Since I don’t know that there are any serious and published automatic transmission failures with Toyota vehicles, or any recalls for their automatic transmission failures due to extended miles or fluid related failure, I’m comfortable with that.     

Of course spending $30 every year, or 20K miles for me, and about 45 minutes to change my transmission fluid seems perfectly smart preventative maintenance. Applying my weird logic above, I would be driving my Corolla with approximately only 12.7% of the tranny fluid’s performance level used.

That’s just my worthless opinion.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2016, 02:29:39 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »
Is there a tranny filter inside the filter?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:19:57 AM »
Is there a tranny filter inside the filter?

Hey emsvitl,

Normally, I would have dropped the transmission oil pan to check it out, but this time I just wanted to see what condition the fluid was in.  All the Toyota automatic transmissions I've seen has a small mesh screen and not a filter.

At 100K miles, the next 20K miles, I will drop the pan and check it out and clean it and clean or replace the screen, and/or any filter.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »
Has anyone sent a sample of their Toyota automatic transmission that uses Toyota's World Standard fluid to a lab for UOA?  If so, what was the resulting report?

Or, any other transmission fluid that you use in your Toyota automatic transmission?

Thanks,

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
I received the report from Blackstone Labs today on my automatic transmission sample from my 2013 Toyota Corolla.

Anybody interested in commenting on it?  :headshake:

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:45:33 AM »
What would you like me to comment on?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:03:43 AM »
What would you like me to comment on?

LOL.... I knew someone would bite on that!!

Here's the report...

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2017, 05:43:13 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:12:12 AM »
Can't read it, download a higher resolution copy.............

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
Can't read it, download a higher resolution copy.............

:think:

My apologies... I will upload a link this afternoon.

Why does this site not allow a PDF file to be attached or uploaded?  That would solve the resolution issue for text files?

Gnarls.

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
You're supposed to change the oil in your A340???????? I was waiting til I had 30,000mi on it, so maybe 2040, I'll look into it, but I'll be 80yrs old then and probably forget.  :laugh:
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
Link comes up as 404/ forbidden on my computer ???
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
I get 403 (forbidden)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »
My apologies for not being able to post a link that will work.  :maddest:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:10:02 AM »
I'm feeling somewhat retarded this morning after doing some research.....

Do any of you PC/Internet gurus out there know a simple way to post my Blackstone report - with adequate resolution - using a link to a site like Google Docs that will prevent any of my personal information from being attached in the link or on the site where my documents sits?

Thanks,

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
Where's global WARMING and a PC/Internet GURU when you need it!!  :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
https://docs.zone/pdf-to-jpg

Don't need to sign up for 1 page.

Then you'll have a jpg to upload....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »
https://docs.zone/pdf-to-jpg

Don't need to sign up for 1 page.

Then you'll have a jpg to upload....

Thank you, emsvitil

I am able to convert PDF file to a jpg. Board.MarlinCrawler will only allow a 140K file and no PDF, a text file in a jpg file format at 140K produces a low resolution image.

I was trying to find a site like Google Docs or Flickr that would create a hyperlink, but the tests I did kept my personal account information appearing - Probably because of my lack of experience.  I find it difficult to understand why I cannot easily find a site on the internet that you can post a photo or document with a link that only shows the allowed viewers the image - no other data??

I finally gave up my search and just compressed and resized the Blackstone PDF converted to a jpg document with Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:39:55 AM »
Try this...

You can zoom the image by holding down your Control Key and tapping the + or - key on your number key pad.

Gnarls.

NOTE:  I finally tried Microsoft Paint and saved the image as a GIF file, which compressed the file but did not lower the resolution beyond readability.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2017, 05:55:58 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:34:30 AM »
For those interested..

I have not been a huge fan of Blackstone UOA, although I understand it can provide some information.

Here’s why…

First, without providing two samples for testing, I have no benchmark.  I should have sent 2 samples ($28 times 2 – Plus shipping), 1 - from the brand new bottle of Toyota WS fluid, and 2 - the sample from my transmission drain at 80,800 miles.

Blackstone's testing only indicates a history of average tests at 37,000 miles.  I have no idea what type of transmission oil their testing was performed on – conventional or synthetic.  Nor do I know what type of transmissions, or how many miles were on the transmissions when their samples where tested.

My report…

The viscosity values are in the range.

The several metals and minerals are outside of the “Universal” number.  I’m not sure what “Universal” means?

Three main friction reducing elements in typical oil formulations include boron, zinc, and prosperous – all of which show lower than Universal numbers.

The iron and aluminum numbers in my sample are very high compared to the Universal numbers.  My gut analysis thinks those higher PPMs may be due to the component wear inside the transmission – that is just a guess.

So, until I send an unused sample of the Toyota World Standard transmission oil, I can only speculate on what this report means!!  Even after that, I may not know how many PPM for each element they tested is normal or abnormal.

The bottom line for me is that my $38.69 UOA report is practically worthless.

Am I missing anything?

EDIT:  Added notes:  No where on the Genuine Toyota Part No. 00289-ATFWS Toyota ATF WS bottle does it state if the oil is synthetic.  There are several statements on the label at the bottom under distributed by Toyota that indicates the oil is formulated by Exxon Mobil. Since this oil, supposedly from the factory install, is not needed to be changed, I assume it is a synthetic formulation.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2017, 07:11:08 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »
UPDATE 6-4-2017

I changed the transmission fluid on the Corolla. Odometer was almost 90,000 miles - about 5,000 miles since the last drain and refresh of 2.5 quarts.   What was drained is very dark.  I only replaced about 2.5 quarts of total capacity of 6.9 quarts. 

I am debating if I should send in a sample for testing to Blackstone.

If I don't send a sample to Blackstone, I will go to 95,000 miles, and do another drain and refresh of 2.5 quarts.

If I send a sample and the test results comes back worse than the first one at 80,800 miles, I will drop the pan and do a complete refresh with 6.9 quarts.

I plan to contact Blackstone to find out if they have an unused test sample of Toyota's World Standard transmission fluid.  If they do not, then I find difficult to understand how the used reports means anything significant.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to buy another new Corolla, I would drain 2.5 quarts from the transmission at 10,000 miles, send two samples to Blackstone - 1 unused, and 1 used.... THEN I would have some data to evaluate what is going on in that transmission. 

If I were to go back to 2013 with this new car, I would NOT go more than 30,000 before changing the automatic transmission fluid.  Toyota may be correct in their published maintenance statements that this transmission fluid is "life time".  And, although my local Toyota dealer has stated "We recommend a transmission flush and change of fluid at 100,000 miles"..... my old school gut feeling and little voice in my head says "Gnarls, change the fluid every 30,000 miles".

I've always had somewhat of a lead foot, and I do not abuse my vehicles, but I do NOT baby them, so I have always been diligent about maintenance.

I may be overly anal or uneducated about Toyota's automotive genius, but I know I feel better about keeping my little Corolla happy.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2017, 06:02:53 PM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Jun 04, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
Manager:    How long does the transmission last?

Engineer:    200k miles with maintenance (fluid)  every 50k miles
                  275k miles with fluid every 30k miles.

Manager:    How long is the powertrain warranty?

Engineer:    100k miles

Manager:     What's the absolute minimum that needs to be done so 99.999% of the transmissions make it past 100k miles?

Engineer:     nothing at all

Manager:     Ok,  we'll advertise it comes with lifetime fluid...............

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
My buddy has a BMW  :reg:
It has lifetime oil thats supposed to be changed every 40,000.
I would change every 20,000 in my own stuff
Ive seen what the crap out of clutch packs can do to the oil and valvebodies.
I would only use genuine Toyota filters. Even if the filter for an A650E is $160.
Accirding to my transmission building budddy the only difference between Dexron 3 and type 4 atf is an additive which is available form lube gard
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
My buddy has a BMW  :reg:
It has lifetime oil thats supposed to be changed every 40,000.
I would change every 20,000 in my own stuff
Ive seen what the crap out of clutch packs can do to the oil and valvebodies.
I would only use genuine Toyota filters. Even if the filter for an A650E is $160.
Accirding to my transmission building budddy the only difference between Dexron 3 and type 4 atf is an additive which is available form lube gard
The difference is the friction modifiers. I have used the Lubegard stuff for many years not and it works well until you have synthetic trans fluid dex VI, Mercon Lv or Sp. Also i have noticed the Lubegard with Dex 3 does not last as long and tends to break down faster.
While i dont have any documentation its all personal experience, 10 years of experience in trans rebuilding & R&R.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »
The difference is the friction modifiers. I have used the Lubegard stuff for many years not and it works well until you have synthetic trans fluid dex VI, Mercon Lv or Sp. Also i have noticed the Lubegard with Dex 3 does not last as long and tends to break down faster.
While i dont have any documentation its all personal experience, 10 years of experience in trans rebuilding & R&R.

Duly noted.
I was only repeating what he suggested. To be fair i would order the Type 4 from Fuchs as i cant be doing with faffing around with additives.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:32:25 AM »
UPDATE:  11-16-17  2013 Toyota Corolla Automatic Transmission Fluid

January 2018 will be 5 years since I bought the car brand new.  So I’ve been averaging about 20K miles per year.  90% of miles have been on the freeway.

Yesterday at 99,623 miles I drained 2.5 quarts from transmission and replaced with the spec’d Toyota transmission fluid.  This is the 3rd time I've drained and replaced 2.5 quarts (80K, 90K, 100K).

I will send a sample to Blackstone Labs and see how the report compares to the one I did at 80,800 miles.

I will post the results when I get it back from Blackstone.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 03:50:14 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
For this transmission, knowing what I know now, and could go back in time, I would do a complete and total fluid change at 20,000 miles, then the 2.5 quart drain and refill at every 10K miles.

Blackstone confirmed that the virgin transmission fluid will only contain extremely small amounts of metal.

The report indicates the elements found in this test sample at 99,623 miles.

This is the 3rd time I drained 2.5 quarts and replaced with Toyota fluid – ~80K, ~90K, ~100K miles.

The iron and aluminum content is obviously higher than the Universal Average.

As expected, the metal content has dropped since the 80K test, which was 80,000 miles from factory and no prior fluid change.

The mineral content, other than silicon, are below or equal to the Universal Averages.

I will consider dropping the pan and doing a complete flush and refresh at 105,000 miles.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2017, 03:25:36 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:19:22 AM »
It's been a few years, but I have two new reports from BlackStone Labs.

One for my engine oil and one for my automatic trans fluid at 150,000 miles.

I will post them later today.

Gnarls

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »
2013 Corolla - Automatic Transmission @ about 150,000 miles.

The report is excellent.

Knowing what I know now, if someone asked me my opinion on tranny fluid changes for an average daily driver like my Corolla, I would say if you are a conservative maintenance-happy person - change it every 20,000 miles or once a year. 

Changing it between 30K and 40K miles would be fine - every 18 months or 2 years.

Going passed 50,000 miles might be OK, but a UOA report might find a slightly higher level of wear factors. :dunno:

I would NOT recommend NOT changing it as Toyota has apparently stated.

Toyota dealership recommendations seem to vary between dealerships.  My Toyota dealership suggested a transmission fluid change at my last oil and filter change with them at 50K miles - even though the Service Tech did say that Toyota says it doesn't have to be changed.  I opted out of their offer to flush and change fluid.

That's just my opinion.

Since Toyota World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid is about $65 for a 6 pack (Walmart sells it for 201.66 for 6 quarts!), and I have to make a trip to my dealer, I will extend the next fluid change to 20,000 miles, as recommended by Blackstone.  Since I'm curious about the test results, I will send in a sample to test at 170,000 miles.

However, at my current mileage use (working from home) - approximately 5,000 per year - it would be 2025 before my next sample test! :gap:

Geezzzz... by 2025 Biden and his anti-American Marxist morons may have banned internal combustion engines .... or the price of a gallon of gasoline will be so high I won't be able to afford to drive my Corolla :yikes:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2021, 06:04:00 AM by Gnarly4X »