Author Topic: 84 Extra cab DD build  (Read 7703 times)

MrBooyay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
84 Extra cab DD build
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
As the subject says, I've got an 84 extra cab. i've had it a little over a year now, just been a DD while doin some minor work on it. I've bounced around from job to job and finally got a career goin so hopefully things will pick up pace now. I've been back and forth on how I want to build it and I think I've settled with keeping this as a DD while making it into more of an overland style rig rather than a straight up crawler.

Here's some random pics of it.

This was after tearing the inside apart to clean it up, sand was EVERYWHERE

I put OME springs on front and rear right off the bat because the springs on there when I bought it looked like they were about to snap they were so rusted and disgusting, but it left the ass a little too high. I recently put an add-leaf up front and it leveled it out, but I don't have an after pic so just use your imagination.

I've also taken that bumper off recently to help with weight in the front, I may decide to modify it or give it back to the guy I bummed it off of and make a tube bumnper

Also did the cheap brake line extension "mod" for my front end.

This was originally how I supported the seats due to them being broken, it was pretty killer on my back, I've recently gotten some alright condition bucket seats though.

I don't have a lot of pics handy right now due to being at work/school right now, but I've got some pictures of my slider and rear bumper I've been building on here so I'll throw those up in a bit.

This is my first build, I've got pretty much no mechanical experience, or off road experience, this is just something I REALLY want to get into so please criticize, leave feedback, and yell at me when I do something wrong, I need all the help I can get as I go along.

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 84 Extra cab DD build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »
:welcome: the body doesn't look too bad. Other then a general over landing rig what are your planned mods for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »
This is what I've been doing more recently, I'm a student at Fresno City College in the welding program and this semester was project based so I decided to make some sliders and a bumper.

Sorry about the crappy picture quality, my phone is a POS, my real camera is at home so maybe this weekend i'll get some thorough shots of everything.

It's a simple design, and I still need to weld some angle iron to the bottom of the square tubing coming off the frame to help prevent getting caught up on stuff.

After those were on i decided to make some extensions.

I'm still working on getting them painted, I was in the middle of wire wheeling everything last weekend when it started raining so I didn't get a chance to finish.

Here's the rear bumper/frame support progress

Had to cut some body off first

This was the start of it, the shorter piece goes inside the frame. I had already reinforced the frame with some 1/4' angle iron as well.

Working on the wrap arounds

Took a few mock-ups

Here it is actually ON the truck, my cuts on the body weren't too straight....

After getting that all welded on to the frame I took the bed off to try and paint everything, but as mentioned before I was interrupted by the weather so currently my truck looks like this

And now I really wanna make a flatbed...  :sad2:

I might do that if I can come up with a way to utilize the bumper I've already welded on there, which I was thinking if I lifted the flatbed up high enough to eliminate wheel wells that would give me about 8" of space between the flatbed and rear bumper which I could use to put storage/tool boxes or an air/water tank or something in...but the whole Idea is still up in the air.

I've also got a little 94 2WD donor truck I'm planning on taking the 22RE out of at some point and attempting my first engine rebuild, but that wont happen for a little while...

Anyways, that's pretty much it for now, I'll keep it updated as things move forward.

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »
:welcome: the body doesn't look too bad. Other then a general over landing rig what are your planned mods for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi-steer, just waiting on an IFS box now
4.88 gears with 33's
air locker in the rear

larger fuel cell
front bumper
If i do make a flat bed it's going to be kind of military style with side rails so I can have a canvas shell over the top of it similar to this

Other than that im not too sure, just been taking ideas and playing with them since I've had this thing

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »
Nice start, an expedition rig is a nice balance between a street an trail, even my rock crawler is more expedition biased due to the anmout of gear I like to bring.
Not sure what square tube you feel needs support from the angle iron in this pic,

But would recommend connecting the front and rear of the sliders,

Dropping onto a rock, or lifting the rig with a hi-lift, could result in the ends being pushed up.

Would also recommend replacing the body mounts, the cab will rattle on the sliders, not that bad on the street, but annoyingly so on fire roads and the trail.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

yalakom

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
Great start, Mr. Booyay...

I like your thoughts on the DD/Expedition rig.  I have similar aspirations.  I particularly like where you're going with the flatdeck idea.  Where did you find the picture of the truck with the canvas-topped deck?

Keep the progress updates comin'  :beer:

Cheers,

R
1986 Xtracab, SAS, 1JZ-GTE, W56-B, 4:56 V6 diffs w/ Supra torsen rear, V6 calipers/FJ40 rotors, 255/85R16 Toyo M-55 on 16x8s

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
Nice start, an expedition rig is a nice balance between a street an trail, even my rock crawler is more expedition biased due to the anmout of gear I like to bring.
Not sure what square tube you feel needs support from the angle iron in this pic,

But would recommend connecting the front and rear of the sliders,

Dropping onto a rock, or lifting the rig with a hi-lift, could result in the ends being pushed up.

Would also recommend replacing the body mounts, the cab will rattle on the sliders, not that bad on the street, but annoyingly so on fire roads and the trail.

Not too sure what you mean about the body mounts, the sliders aren't touching the body at all, and as far as connecting the front and rear of the sliders, are you talking about welding some tube from the slider to the step-up? or from the slider to the frame?

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »
Great start, Mr. Booyay...

I like your thoughts on the DD/Expedition rig.  I have similar aspirations.  I particularly like where you're going with the flatdeck idea.  Where did you find the picture of the truck with the canvas-topped deck?

Keep the progress updates comin'  :beer:

Cheers,

R

Thanks! and the image is just off of google images

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »
Not too sure what you mean about the body mounts, the sliders aren't touching the body at all,
The cab body mounts are designed to absorb vibrations, and when new usually keep the cab from moving more than 1/8" side to side, when worn, they cab can move close to a 1/4".  If the clearance here is an 1/4", you should be ok.

and as far as connecting the front and rear of the sliders, are you talking about welding some tube from the slider to the step-up?
From the slider to the step up.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
The cab body mounts are designed to absorb vibrations, and when new usually keep the cab from moving more than 1/8" side to side, when worn, they cab can move close to a 1/4".  If the clearance here is an 1/4", you should be ok.

From the slider to the step up.

Alright well thanks for the info on the body mounts, I didn't know that!

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
Work and school have been keeping me busy, but I have had a chance to design a little bit of my flatbed idea. Got me some 5" marlin greasable shackles as an early Christmas present from my wife and brother too, so hopefully i get a chance to throw those on soon.

Someday

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:21:02 AM »
Update?

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
Update?

I'm ALMOST done with the flatbed, been lazy and figured it would be easier uploading all the pics and whatnot after the project is done. I just don't get as much done in general during the semester while school is going on, but soon. Very soon.

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
Quick update! Done with school for this semester so i should be a little more active. Here's some of the flatbed pics. I lost some of the earlier pics of it on my old phone so this is more recent stuff.

I regret going the cheap route with this, in stead of just buying a second sheet of the diamond plate i tried to get one sheet on there and so it looks like a mess of random puzzle pieces, but oh well. Here's some drawing of how I intend to progress on the flatbed, let me know what you think. I've got two different style of the headache rack, the rounded corner was going to be one piece of 1.5x1.5 bent to shape, but I really like the way the other style looks.

And this is what I've been up to most recently, working on getting a 22RE out of this donor 94 2WD I bought a while back.

Just got the wiring harness out yesterday evening, so hopefully I'll be dropping the tranny this weekend and we'll see how close I can get to yanking the engine out. My plan is to open it up and check things out, I've already got an oil and water pump on the way, and I know the timing chain guards are gone so I'll be ordering new ones soon as well, it didn't look like the chain had done much to the sidewall yet so I don't think that's gonna be an issue, but I've never done anything close to an engine rebuild so we'll see how confident I'm feeling after I get it out.

And one last random pic on my truck loaded with wood for camping trip we took last month. We went to Bretz Mill for a few days, I had never been up the four lanes in that truck so I was worried taking my maiden voyage fully loaded with wood, but it handled just fine. Cruised in third the whole way up  :beerchug:

I'm really starting to feel an interest, maybe even a passion, for these trucks. The more I delve into it the more excited I get. I feel liked I'm steadily learning more and more as time goes by and its actually having a pretty positive effect on me lately so hopefully I can manage to keep this hobby goin! Anyways, I'll try to take better pics as things progress.

Hope everyone has a good memorial day weekend! :usa:

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Gorgeous pup!

Man, I wish I had some fabrication skills.  I'll be watching to see what all you do here.  I love seeing all the stuff people cook up around here.  Maybe when I retire I'll have time to learn to weld and a shop big enough for this kind of stuff.

Question:  Which rear OME springs did you get?  Part#?

Thanks!
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
Nice design, I did something similar with my '91. Might consider adding a removable center section to the rear, it would allow you to carry a canoe, kayaks, or lumber.

What gauge steel did you use for the frame and diamond plate, any idea of your overall weight?

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »
Gorgeous pup!

Man, I wish I had some fabrication skills.  I'll be watching to see what all you do here.  I love seeing all the stuff people cook up around here.  Maybe when I retire I'll have time to learn to weld and a shop big enough for this kind of stuff.

Question:  Which rear OME springs did you get?  Part#?

Thanks!

I can't remember the part number, I talked to an ARB guy and he advised me to go with the medium duty post 84' rear leafs, so that's what I did. I'm actually going and picking up a pair of 63's today. Gonna go that route and put the rears up front.

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
Nice design, I did something similar with my '91. Might consider adding a removable center section to the rear, it would allow you to carry a canoe, kayaks, or lumber.

What gauge steel did you use for the frame and diamond plate, any idea of your overall weight?

The whole frame was 2x4x.120 wall, the diamond plate was 1/8", and all the railing and headache rack is going to be 1.5x1.5x.120. And that center section idea is a good idea. I'm still debating on whether or not I want those two long rails to be removable or not, even if they are I can make a cross member like you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
totally dig it. very cool man!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

MrBooyay [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Slow and steady
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Little progress on the bed, got the headache rack and the side rails done.

Also picked up some Chevy springs, got the front hangers done now I just need to do something for the rear shackles. I don't think I'll wind up doing the double shackle, but we'll see.

That's all for now, I'm hoping maybe this weekend I get to yank the engine out of my donor, but I've got a couple graduations to go to so we'll see.

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 07, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
You shouldn't need double shackles. The chevy springs flex really good.