Author Topic: Congill77 87t4r go anywhere dd build  (Read 30820 times)

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Congill77 87t4r go anywhere dd build
« on: Nov 15, 2016, 03:14:51 AM »
Well I've been working on this for awhile so I figure it might be time to start a build thread for it.
About 9-10 months ago I picked up a 1987 4Runner
As it sat when I bought it,
Good
-shackle lift  in the rear (really only to compensate for the sagged out rear spring pack)
-front lock right locker (not the best for snow that we get here in co but it is what it is)
-custom front bumper, rear bumper, and sliders (rear bumper and sliders tied to the frame)
-4:10s
-sitting on 33inch General Grabbers

The bad:(
-serious lower end rod knock
-paint is $#*t
-hood had been replaced
-the black tops fiberglass was in poor condition

One the bright side, the po had bought another engine for it with the intention to just swap into it but he had decided to do a compression test on it and found that it was hitting about 45-60 on all 4 cylinders so he was looking to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure it was his wife's daily. When I went to pick it up he had a fully built 1st gen t4r next to it sitting on 38+ tires, duel cases with 4.70s in both cases and a full exo cage. It was pretty slick.
Any who, back to this build. I drove it around for about a month, got one trip up snow wheeling and found out abunch of stuff about the truck that I wasn't truly happy about and kinda made a basic list of stuff that I wanted to change in the long run.
- more power. The 22re wasn't cutting it compared to the 2 supercharged 3rd gen runners I want with.
- rear locker is a must. I got stuck on the trail head, now granted this is in about 24-30 inches of snow with tires that had absolutely no provisions for snow, but once again the 3rd gens and those darn e-lockers made it look easy. that's what I had figured out until this:

So time to start doing the motor.
I rebuilt the spare motor and put lce duel row timing chain and steel backed guides on it and through it in over the span of a couple of weeks and have daily driven it since. I've also slowly collected parts for it for the things I want. I have a  full elocker housing, third member and axles. As well as a second tcase, I'm hoping to run a duel ultimate set up when I get around to it but for now she sits. I've also acquired a 7m gte that may or may not go into this. Not entirely sure about that just yet.
I've also found that winch on it when I bought it is total garbage. I've gotten stuck a few time and it wouldent pull me out so ya.... That needs to go. 

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Congill77 87t4r go anywhere dd build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2016, 03:34:52 AM »
The last time I got stuck I got it high centered it was pretty bad.
I also bent in the front bumper mount in and smashed my grill up a bit. but today I finally got around to taking the front bumper off and taking the winch out as well as the grill and some other misc. bs. ya this truck had Ac at one point but the compressor was long gone when I bought the truck. So I took the condenser out I also continued the wiring for my elocker I have it running through the gromet under the pass seat and then parallel to the fuel pump wires on top of the passenger side frame rail then crossing over to the center via a stock crossmember and dropping to right were the e locker connector will be. I also got the removed the studs out of the new housing and cleaned the mating surface, had a buddy who works at the Toyota dealership in Boulder to replace the retainers and bearings and seals on the axles.
Hoping to assemble and install the diff in the morning, as well as install the bushwhackers I have laying around   

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2016, 03:35:50 AM »
Oh and the whit top is there because my brother decided to put a golf balls through the back window when I had the top off back in July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
Well I got the elocker in today. Little bit of a struggle getting and entire housing in and out by my self but I did it. The diff was stuck in locked when I first installed it. Had to remove the actuator and adjust where it sat on the worm gear

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
Im working on tidying up to locker today. But I was looking at the wheel offset with that inch and a half extra and damn does she look good.
Before

After

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
Made an extension bracket for the e break assembly on the passenger side (due to the e locker housing being 3inchs wider then the stock one) I got the driver side hooked up and then had to relocate the pivot point on the diff. The welds aren't pretty but they work. Then I took a piece of aluminum from lowes and cut two pieces of about 3 in and drilled holes and slid bolts through for the cable extension. Honestly it feels like the e break engages a lot better now. 

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2016, 12:25:41 AM »

I love getting goodies :)

I got Marlins 1600 lb clutch kit, little over kill right now for my 32s and single case but when I get around to the duels I'm sure I'll be happy to have it!

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
Well I've gotten her painted over the last few days. Really happy how it turned out (at least from 10 ft away I am any closer and you can see the over spray and runs)

And I got it up wheeling today. Already scratched the new paint but it's rattle can so what is it really hurting?

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
paint job looks good
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:20:28 PM »
Thanks man! I really appreciate it! I was going for the trd pro orange off of the newer stuff and though it's not perfect I really do like the way it turned out

JANDO11

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 106
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Mar '10
  • MS racing
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »
 :beer chug: keeping the color classy  :turtle3:
my build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88876.0

COFFIN CRAWLERZ
DFD 
1988 turbo xtra cab, 3RZ, links
1985 pickup, 37 mtr
1985 4runner SR5, KINGS, LINKS, BUMPS, 40s

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2016, 07:15:09 AM »
Has anyone used the high output alternator from lce?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
It's cheaper and better in my $.02 to get the gm bracket and use a gm 1 wire.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »
Ya that's kinda what I was thinking....

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
Well my day consisted of a lot of running around but I got a bunch of parts that I am super excited about!

Any one want to guess what's in the box;)

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
Crawl box  :headscratch:

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
Hahaha no not a full crawl box, but an adapter plate for twins. A buddy had his trail gear adaptor laying around after he went with a full Marlin duel ultimate set up. So for $150 I now have a trail gear adaptor plate I dropped it off at the machine shop to have it cleaned earlier today. And now I have 2 spare transfer cases laying around so I'm going to assemble them off the truck then figure out a way to make a triple stick. I really like the design of davez but his site says he's been out of stock for damn near the entirety of me owning this truck. And I have a really hard time justifying taking a sledge to tunnel for the rad designs triple stick :/ so I'm going to see if I can build my own. Stick around to watch it fail!

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »
That sure is a large box for just an adapter,lol

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:57:49 PM »
Hahaha its what my buddy in his garage when he took is old set up apart

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Congill77 87t4r go anywhere dd build
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
I went and had this made today as my end ever with the chutes kinda screwed my stock skid plate. Gonna weld the plate one the ground to the back so I don't have things for rocks to catch on. Then I'm going to paint it orange and black to match the truck
I know it's a little bit form over function but I think will look good.

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:30:23 PM »
Im ever so slowly collecting parts so the next few things that I want to get done to this thing.
I also have an sr5 center gauge cluster on the way. (Mostly because I think they are cool) an I have 2 tcase a sitting in my shop, one is ready to be torn down and re built into a crawl box. I'm trying to decide if the duel ultimate is worth doing the first time as compared to just running 2.88 21 spline in both cases.... Eventually it's boing to get 23spline all around w/ 2.88 front and 4.7 rear but that gets pretty $$$ very quick. I'm debating if it's worth it to sit around and stockpiling parts for so long waiting and to get all the 23spline parts or if I should just throw the stock gears in... Any opinions?

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »
Man I went dual ultimate on the first go around. I haven't installed yet, but I figure if I pony up in the beginning, it will be less money down the road. I DD mine so I need it to get me to work. I will say.... after buying all of my parts, I have never been this broke. In my research, most folks wheel just fine with the 2.28/2.28 combo though. I don't have any personal experience with dials whatsoever though.

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:43:16 AM »
Ya.... That's kinda been my thoughts on it.... $700 for the 4.7 gear set from Marlin.... Plus, however much for a 23 spline 2.28 output shaft (I would need one right? Not the input shaft?) and I need the cross member as well.... And the speedo extension.... Sooo well say $350 there. So $1050 or 350 and run it till I can save the money to drop on a gear set.... Decisions, decisions....

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:04:51 AM »
Congill, you have 22re right. If so, you have a "w" series transmission, unless you have r151f. Which is from a  turbo truck. A "w" series transmission is going to have a 21 spline input on t case. Which means you'll have a 21 spline front(crawl box) to a 23 spline adapter to 23 spline MC 4.7 gears. Now a r151f turbo transmission has a 23 spline input on t case. If you have a turbo transmission, then you would be 23 spline in all t cases. Hope that clarifies things for you

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »
Congill, you have 22re right. If so, you have a "w" series transmission, unless you have r151f. Which is from a  turbo truck. A "w" series transmission is going to have a 21 spline input on t case. Which means you'll have a 21 spline front(crawl box) to a 23 spline adapter to 23 spline MC 4.7 gears. Now a r151f turbo transmission has a 23 spline input on t case. If you have a turbo transmission, then you would be 23 spline in all t cases. Hope that clarifies things for you
Yes that clears just about everything up. Thank you ovrarok!

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »
Welp... My day was pretty ok today went up 4 wheeling, watched this jeep get stuck, then this 350 swaped fj40 got stuck (that I pulled out) then my clutch went out... And the jeep that got stuck in the previous picture ended up pulling me most of the way home. truck needs to get towed another 12 miles to my shop then a thrash session on it to replace the clutch before 12 tomorrow when I have to be at work

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
 :thumbs: let me know if you have any questions, brother. Been through a lot of what you are going through or will in the future. Best of luck. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
Thanks sqwadoosh, any really important tips you got on doing the clutch.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
Thanks sqwadoosh, any really important tips you got on doing the clutch.

Make sure you use the alignment tool that should have come with the clutch. Also make sure to use blue loctite on the flywheel bolts. To get to those top bolts on the transmission I recommend dipping the transmission down after the cross member is out. I used a transmission jack that you can rent from your local rental place or get for cheap at Harbor Freight. Or you can support it with your body and have a buddy use a couple long extensions linked together and a wobbly to get those top bolts out. Its going to be a pregnant dog separating the transmission. Just keep fiddling with it and it'll eventually come out. Same with putting it back in.   :hammerhead:

Congill77 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
Hahaha sweet. Thanks man. One the bright side. It can't be worse then a 2wd 3.0 5 speed can it?