Author Topic: Conversion sleeves to run a 4 cyl carrier in a V-6 housing?  (Read 5529 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Long story short I have a 4cyl ARB that is no longer able to be converted to the 50 mm V6 . I have a V6 high pinion that takes the bigger 50 mm inside diameter bearing. I need a sleeve that I can press on my ARB that is 45mm inside diameter and 50mm outside diameter and is made out of bearing quality steel. How hard would it be to make this sleeve if I contact a machine shop?
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 05:15:41 PM by Aaronm »
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got to ask?
Why no longer able to be converted
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
http://www.lceperformance.com/ARB-4-Cylinder-Bearing-Kit-p/2051702.htm

I think these are the opposite of what I need. If I am reading it right these are made to install a V6 ARB into a 4cyl housing. I need the exact opposite 4cyl ARB into a v6 housing. Thank you for responding and the post.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Got to ask?
Why no longer able to be converted

My ARB is old. Very old

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My ARB is old. Very old

Call Arb ask them if it's possible. Every time I have asked them questions they have been great.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
What's the OD of the 50mm bearing?

You might be able to find a bearing that has the 45mm ID with the 50mm OD
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I think the 45mm and 50mm have the same OD.......

See

http://gearinstalls.com/bearing.htm  (scroll down just a little)

I then checked some parts at rockauto.

Use a 91 pickup with V6.

The 45 and 50mm bearings were only different in ID...

I know you can use a 6cyl carrier in the 4cyl case.     You only had to change to the 6cyl (50mm) bearings.

Looks like the opposite is possible.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Some different info on the bearings:    shows different OD's, but has a solution.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1188977-4-cyl-6-cyl-carrier-bearing-interchangeability.html
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Some different info on the bearings:    shows different OD's, but has a solution.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1188977-4-cyl-6-cyl-carrier-bearing-interchangeability.html

I found that some link and called Davez. He is out of stock and doesn't currently have any coming in. I would buy from him in a minute if he had some available. My problem is simply that I want my rig back together yesterday. It has already sat for 3 weeks and I'm ready to get it dirty.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Call Arb ask them if it's possible. Every time I have asked them questions they have been great.

They are great to work with but in this case it's just to old. I even asked about taking my internal parts and swapping them into a newer carrier and that's not possible. It's just old

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I think the 45mm and 50mm have the same OD.......

See

http://gearinstalls.com/bearing.htm  (scroll down just a little)

I then checked some parts at rockauto.

Use a 91 pickup with V6.

The 45 and 50mm bearings were only different in ID...

I know you can use a 6cyl carrier in the 4cyl case.     You only had to change to the 6cyl (50mm) bearings.

Looks like the opposite is possible.......

The inside diameter is the killer on these there are bearings that will allow a v-6 carrier to work in a 4cyl housing but not 4cyl carrier in a v-6 housing. If anyone finds a part number please let me know. In the pirate thread there was a guy who said that he had found some Volvo transmission bearings that were tapered rolling bearings that could work but he never posted the part numbers.