Author Topic: 1982 SR5 long bed  (Read 8062 times)

westypoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 42
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1982 SR5 long bed
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
so i introduced myself over in the new member thread. so now im going to start a thread on the build up of my truck. so about 3 weeks ago i bought a 82 SR5 long bed truck. my overall goal with the truck is to keep it a good on and off road rig to go camping and exploring in. not gonna bob the bed as i wanted a long bed.

my plans so far on paper are to get rid of the super stiff 4" rough country leafs (bought the truck with them on it) and im looking at the nice kit that TG has for the front and the rear. biggest tires i wanna go with are 33x12.50 and some new wheels as well, obviously regear to 4:88's, i like to get an E-locker in the rear, future motor swap as the 22R will not be enough power for future needs. im possibly looking into a vw TDI swap but im still open for other options. looking at getting a rear bumper and sliders for it for rock protection. So that's all i have so far. heres the truck. so far all ive done is getting it up on the needed/ neglected maintenance. and advice and tips are greatly appreciated

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1982 SR5 long bed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
Instead of the TG kit I recommend the All Pro one  :twocents:
Time to go wheelin!

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 426
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:03:42 AM »
That cleaned up real nicely.  I had my tan '82 buffed recently--really brought out the shine.

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
ya im torn between AP and the TG kits, but i just got off the phone with AP and im swaying thaty way now. seems like a solid kit with there "extreme offroad" suspension kit is just what im looking for. now i just need to save up for it. lol

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:28:49 AM »
Nice pickup!  1st gens are my personal favorite.  Luckeeeee...

You'll be in good hands with the Allpro guys.  I would probably but dual t-case or a 4.7 low range gear set in it too.  Crawler gearing is total worth it even if you don't plan to get that extreme.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
Also has anyone, or have seen anyone removing leafs out of the RC spring packs to make them softer? If so what one would anyone recommend to be removed? I'd like to try and make it better till I can afford the AP kit.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
I would say if you kept the top 1 or two of the RC pack and put the lower leaves from some stock packs you would probably end up with something acceptable.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
That's my biggest issue... I don't have any stock leaves to use. I guess the previous owner got rid of them.  :hammerhead:

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:07:14 PM »
Wow that looks really nice. Any interior photos? Also is that original paint?
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »
yes it orginal paint except for the drive side fender i can tell has been resprayed at some point. ill get you guys interior pics tonight. the dash pad had almost zero cracks in it cause it had a dash cover on it im sure most of its life. the interior is id say a 7 out of 10 cause it missing the dash bezel that holds all the radio/heater controls, etc. the seats are in ok condition but falling apart and both seats are missing there head rests. so im not sure what to get for seats. i do not like that they do NOT flip fwd so i can put things behind the seats. kinda annoying. well later to day ill post up some pics of the alpine loop that me and my gf went and did. hope everyone had a good weekend!

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
so i got some quick pics of the interior. i bought the truck with the dash missing the dash bezel, so i have a good friend goto an all toyota salvage yard and score me a sweet uncut bezel. so i know most have CB radios in most off road truck. so i though... i wonder if they have ever made a CB combined with an AM/FM radio. so i did a quick search on ol ebay and found one still new in the box, i threw in a bid and won it for $43 shipped. so im really looking forward to installing it tomorrow. i also bought a new 22r carb that ill also be installing tomorrow. i also might have already scored a 1UZ TDI motor for the truck as well. hoping it works out but we will see. well heres the pics.

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »
Nice score with that CB radio! The radio spot in these dashs is not wide enough for a modern radio. In Australia at least people seem to not care and chop everything up anyway so good work for not doing that! Interior looks nice though, I wish mine looked that good!
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

Auggydog

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2016, 06:33:58 AM »
Great find,
Look into old man emu for springs,get a doubler kit,use heavy duty input/output shafts,with stock gears.
The rest of your ideas top shelf,your real lucky to find such a great rig.

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
so who sells EMU springs heres in the states for the first gen tucks?

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
Here's where I ordered mine. But you can piece it together and be much happier. I wish I had ran the rear leaf springs from 86-95 as my front leaf springs

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_pu4runner_dakar.html

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
i forgot to add that this lest weekend my girlfriend and myself decided to take a quick trip down to the Alpine Loop down in Ouray, CO. we only did a few small parts of the alpine loop as we where limited on time. but i wanted to make one quick trip before the snow up there really hit. but i plan on getting the truck as ready as i can for next summer that i want to be filled with wheeling and camping. well heres the pics from our little trip. i love what colorado has to offer in my backyard.

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
so since ive bought the truck ive been checking issues that the truck had off the ol' todo list. one that im getting stuck on tho has been getting the carb to run correctly. the truck seems to have a dead spot mid to full throttle. i looked on ebay and saw a new carb for just over a 100 bucks shipped. so i figured what the hell and bought one. well i got it on and with just bolting it on and not making a single adjustment it seems to work well other then if i floor it it will not go above 2k rpm till i let off the gass a little and it will accelerate. i need to hook up my spare wideband gauge and see just what its doing. i still have the OEM carb. im thinking i need to rebuild that maybe. i have a claim with the ebay seller cause the carb came damaged in the box and im hoping i can mybet get them to ship me a replacement. but if not ill rebuild the stock carb. ive checked the distributor vac canister and it all is working as it should. any insight to these carbs? ive done a lot of older VW carbs but im new to the toyota ones. thanks in advance for any insight. 

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
What ever happened with the ebay claim? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

westypoo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
welll i got ahold of the chinese people via sending messages back and forth on ebay. they sent me a new metering needle that was broke in shipping ( i was kinda hoping for a whole new carb, but i guess not)  and a few other small bits that attach to the needle. but the carb is sitting on my garage floor as i struck an ok deal on a weber and ive been running that. its a night and day difference with how it runs. i dont really see any power increase from it, but it does run really smooth, no more jerking from a lean throttle enrichment. 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Any other changes to the truck lately?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

oleblue22

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
Nice rig!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
so who sells EMU springs heres in the states for the first gen tucks?

I would also strongly recommend Ome springs. I have them on my 4Runner and they are awesome. Soft but streetable. You can even get a heavy duty set for front or rear if you plan to add weight with a front bumper and winch or if you plan to haul much in the bed. I bought mine from the local Toyota dealership they were about $125 per corner. I have heard good things about the VW TDI motor swap and from what I've seen they sound good too. With everyone wanting throw away their TDI's now maybe you could get a good deal on one  :thumbs:
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SnailPowered3RZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2017, 05:51:10 AM »
so i introduced myself over in the new member thread. so now im going to start a thread on the build up of my truck. so about 3 weeks ago i bought a 82 SR5 long bed truck. my overall goal with the truck is to keep it a good on and off road rig to go camping and exploring in. not gonna bob the bed as i wanted a long bed.

my plans so far on paper are to get rid of the super stiff 4" rough country leafs (bought the truck with them on it) and im looking at the nice kit that TG has for the front and the rear. biggest tires i wanna go with are 33x12.50 and some new wheels as well, obviously regear to 4:88's, i like to get an E-locker in the rear, future motor swap as the 22R will not be enough power for future needs. im possibly looking into a vw TDI swap but im still open for other options. looking at getting a rear bumper and sliders for it for rock protection. So that's all i have so far. heres the truck. so far all ive done is getting it up on the needed/ neglected maintenance. and advice and tips are greatly appreciated

Ever consider the 3rz swap? I have a turbo-ed one and its fantastic, and Bigmike has an excellent wright up on here

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
What size tires are you running?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

SnailPowered3RZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Mar '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »
What size tires are you running?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

37's, planning on 39's. I probably weigh 4300 pounds total and before the turbo I can easily get up to 75mph and maintain it with out down shifting. Even up hills.

GuyonaBuffalo!

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »
YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! NICE TOYOTA! :beerchug:
"I done told ya, you don't mess with a guy on a buffalo!"

wolfashes

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 70
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Engineering Student = no life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

That's a really nice year man. Congrats on your rig. I'd love to put a Chevy 350 on mine. Some day...  :usa: