Author Topic: 98 3rz swap into 94 22re pickup wiring question  (Read 3063 times)

88sasturbotoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since May '13
  • if it aint broke....add some rowdy to the mix
    • View Profile
98 3rz swap into 94 22re pickup wiring question
« on: Sep 07, 2016, 05:38:29 AM »
Hey guys

I know there is alot of 3rz swap info out there but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  Ok so here goes

I have a 94 22re pickup truck with electronic speedo sensor on the tcase.  I'm swapping in a 98 tacoma 2
7 3rz with the 2 ( correct my parts naming if I'm wrong) coil pack single coil fire no distributor motor.  Meaning that there is 2 what I would call coil packs and each coil pack has 2 sing coils 2 going to 1 and 2 with the other coil pack going to 3 and 4. 

My question is how is this all wired up or how do i figure how to wire this up.  Should I go to toyota with both vins and see if I can get wire diagrams for both and start matching wires up?  This is my first wiring project so I'm not super proficient in this area just asking for a little advice to lean me in the correct direction.  I'm not a newbie and I'm not stupid just need some advice from someone who has been in the same boat as I am now and doesn't wanna spend 650 dollars on a pnp from ors. 

I have the motor in.  Exhaust ran.  I took the tank out and am running a fuel cell with in line pump
  Any other info you need from my side please ask I just need some help.  Thanks in advance.

Corey
88 xtra cab pickup solid axle swapped 5spd swapped 4.7 swap turbo 15psi swapped = rowdy

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Well I know from experience that the electronic speedo on your '94 is plug and play for your 3RZ stuff, so that's nice.

I had Haynes and Chiltons manuals for both my truck and the doner vehicle and a tester.  It's not too bad if you lay your harness, locate what's what by color and start going after it.  It starts to make sense.

I chose to make a conversion column using the 3RZ steering wheel and controls.  This way I could use the 3RZ harness straight up and just graft the tails, fuel pump and heater from the older vehicle.

There are better ways but I found this easier.

Check out the 3RZ thread it is a wealth of knowledge.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

88sasturbotoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '13
    • View Profile
I was looking at the 3rz page there is just so much stuff and so many pages I guess I was trying to get a specific answer on  where to start.  I wanted to use all my original dash harness but just connect it to my 3rz computer by splicing wires or whatever.  Pretty much make an Ors pnp harness without spending the money.  Just don't know where to start.  The motor is in the truck and the engine harness is fed into the cab just need to know what wires I need and don't need really.  I'm guessing all my ignition stuff will work and I want my heater to work for the winter but other than that I just want it to run.  I can get aftermarket gauges for oil and engine temp stuff like that. 
88 xtra cab pickup solid axle swapped 5spd swapped 4.7 swap turbo 15psi swapped = rowdy

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
There have been some great examples of stripped down 3RZ harnesses that are just what you are talking about.  I understand that the huge bunch of bundles spaghetti is a little daunting, but you just need to confirm what it is you need.  It's been done so many times. I would keep on that 3RZ thread.

Somebody chime in here!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

88sasturbotoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '13
    • View Profile
Ok well thanks for all the help guys