Author Topic: Rear Diamond Axle  (Read 20372 times)

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Rear Diamond Axle
« on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:45:39 AM »
I recently ordered a rear Toyota based Diamond axle with full float & discs.

Brian @ FROR tells me that I will need a custom e-brake cable fabbed up.  Does anyone have experience with this custom cable?

Thanks.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Re: Rear Diamond Axle
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:27:56 PM »
I am wondering if you're u are taking about what Zippo and I built for Squadoosh's truck? You can find pictures of it in his build thread.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
I am wondering if you're u are taking about what Zippo and I built for Squadoosh's truck? You can find pictures of it in his build thread.

I don't think Brian at FROR knows about it.  :dunno: I would also recommend going a different route as mine does not hold on any kind of incline.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2016, 06:32:32 AM »

Thanks... I'll look through their builds.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
I don't think Brian at FROR knows about it.  :dunno: I would also recommend going a different route as mine does not hold on any kind of incline.

SqWADoosh,
Have you since worked on your e-brake or still running what you have in your build thread?

If not, if you had to do it over again, what would you do differently?

Thanks for the replies.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
SqWADoosh,
Have you since worked on your e-brake or still running what you have in your build thread?

If not, if you had to do it over again, what would you do differently?

Thanks for the replies.

It is the same as in the thread. Don't do it like that. It doesn't work. Don't know what to do differently unfortunately there isn't really any options for me. The t-case brake isn't an option because I have a 4runner so it doesn't fit. I had to go to these axle shafts and brakes due to my e-locker requiring the longer axle shafts out of an 90-95 coil sprung 4runner.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
I recently ordered a rear Toyota based Diamond axle with full float & discs.

Brian @ FROR tells me that I will need a custom e-brake cable fabbed up.  Does anyone have experience with this custom cable?

Thanks.

If the axle location has stayed the same, but just got wider the solution is somewhat simple. You can send your cable to http://www.controlcables.com/ letting them know the extra width needed. If the connection type to the brakes has changed they can fix that too.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2016, 04:47:34 AM »
The t-case brake isn't an option because I have a 4runner so it doesn't fit.
Lots of people with 4runners have t-case brakes. I am one of them. Fitment isn't an issue. I just think they are hard to get to work right.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »
If the axle location has stayed the same, but just got wider the solution is somewhat simple. You can send your cable to http://www.controlcables.com/ letting them know the extra width needed. If the connection type to the brakes has changed they can fix that too.

John Doe,
Thanks for awesome link.
I will be speaking with them when the time comes.

Thanks for the replies.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
Lots of people with 4runners have t-case brakes. I am one of them. Fitment isn't an issue. I just think they are hard to get to work right.

Interesting. That is not what I've been finding. Do you have a body lift by chance?

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »
I attempted to install a t-case brake a few years back on Bestgen, (dual cases and no body lift made this impossible). (not enough clearance between the floor and rotor)
It was the kit from allpro. Sold it on craigslist.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »
I attempted to install a t-case brake a few years back on Bestgen, (dual cases and no body lift made this impossible). (not enough clearance between the floor and rotor)
It was the kit from allpro. Sold it on craigslist.

Yeah If I remember correctly he has a body lift. Which would make sense as to why it worked for him.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2016, 07:13:19 AM »
 :puke:
Body lift! Oh no!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »
:puke:
Body lift! Oh no!

Hell no! I don't have body lift!  :reg:
I have the all-pro crossmember and e-brake installed on my dual cases.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2016, 05:55:59 AM »
Hell no! I don't have body lift!  :reg:
I have the all-pro crossmember and e-brake installed on my dual cases.

Helipilot77,
Does it hold on an incline?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »
I have the AP one (not on a 4Runner) and it holds on an incline just fine.
Time to go wheelin!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
I think it would if it was adjusted properly. I have talked with "h8pvmnt" about his. He has the all pro driveline e-brake on his 4Runner also. His seems to work just fine.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »
Regarding my front Diamond axle, a few years ago I did the 231mm Tundra brake conversion while IFS.  All brake parts were transferred over to the Diamond.  This a heads up/ tech kind of post if anyone has had the same issue.  I hope it helps somebody going forward.

As I now have 5k miles on the SAS, while tinkering underneath, I had noticed the inside PS rotor wearing oddly and my wife had complained about it pulling to the RT while stopping.  The braking was good and no squeaking at all until this past mid-week.
Today I replaced both rotors and pads with OEM Toyota parts, 1st time ever doing so for brakes.  I even installed the shims.

That said, I did the driver side 1st, bolted the wheel back on and it wouldn't turn at all.  Upon investigating, noticed the rotor was not centered between the inside width of the caliper.  I added a 3/32" washer between the caliper and the mounting bracket and that fixed that.  The passenger side is different.

This is the side that was pulling, which really turned out to be dragging against the inside of the caliper.  The rotor was 1/8" out of center.  The rotor was rubbing the inside of the caliper to where you could see thickness difference, like a before/ after scenario.  I did the same on this side only the washers were 1/8".

I bolted the wheel back on and all is good.  Brakes are killer once again.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:16:32 AM »
On Monday, I received my Diamond rear set-up.

Regarding my original question about the e-brake, this e-brake has a drum set-up within the rotor.
It appears there is a bracket that bolts to the backing plate, cable goes through that and there is a spring on the cable between the bracket and where the cable is terminated. Both sides are like this.

Does anyone know where to get this cable?  It may be an OEM only part, just not sure of what model or year.
FROR wasn't sure when I ordered.

Suggestions are appreciated.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:47:36 AM »
these guys may have something that works http://lokar.com/product-pgs/ebrake-cables-conn-cables/ebrake-cable-pgs/ebrake-cables.html john doe mentioned this place, this looks like the place http://www.controlcables.com/
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 06:58:28 AM by ovrarok »
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »
Thanks for the links.

The end of the cables that go inside the backing plate are of concern however. 
Above the slotted hole(s) where the cable inserts into the drum area, there is a threaded hole for a bracket to bolt to.

I'll get a photo attached after work.

Thanks for the reply.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
I second the Lokar kits.  I have installed there kit on caddy calipers and it worked good. I also have a 4Runner and I was able to fit the all-pro tcase park brake kit. And I have duals. It works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

txlonghorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Ritchie, sounds like you got the FROR kit without the 1/8" spacer welded to the brackets? I told them I was planning to run the 231mm Tundra brakes and that is what they sold me. I actually installed them backwards (so the spacer isn't effective), and I have also noticed a slight pull on occasion to the passenger side. I have brand new OEM pads and rotors. The rotors looked to be centered in the calipers but 1/8" is hard to see and I'd rather be safe than sorry if you were having issues. Looks like I will need to tear into them and flip that FROR bracket around so the 1/8" spacer is actually being used.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
Hmm, not sure of the spacers you mention, must mean I didn't get them.  No worries, its been sorted out.

After some calling around today, I learned that 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser brake cables are what I need to make this complete.

I'll get them ordered tomorrow and hopefully receive them before Saturday so I can get the axle detailed/ painted and installed this weekend.

Thanks for the replies guys.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »
Please post pics of your set up when you are done.

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:46:35 PM »
So I worked on the axle for a bit today.
I removed the calipers, rotors and brake lines and began prepping for paint.
Once dry, I installed the inner seals inside the axle tubes, installed the 2010 FJ Cruiser parking brake cables and reassembled.
It turned out great.

The part numbers for the cables are as follows:
RR - 46420-35773
LR - 46430-35563

These cables are nice.  A bit pricey but there is nothing else available that includes the OEM bracket that bolts to the backing plate. Took about a half hour to get the cable ends inside the e-brake arm behind the pads.  It was easier to remove the slack adjuster which allows a bit more room to get your fingers in there to insure the end slips into the arm.

If you have any questions, feel free to post.

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2016, 03:58:21 PM by Ritchie »

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
I was able to get the snap rings on the ends of the axles.  That was tougher than I expected.  Took 2 of us to get them secured.
I did grab some diff oil, brake fluid and black RTV silicone after I finished up.
I'll get everything installed tomorrow with pics.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
So is this the new Drotor kit from FROR or something else?

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
That looks sexy. It's good to know about another e-brake option for still wanting disc brakes