Author Topic: Am I at the end of 22re power upgrades or is their something else?  (Read 29794 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Right up to the point it blows up!!.... then you have a $3,000 boat anchor.

Gnarls
As long as you are reasonable w/the boost no issues w/reliability.  Most of the "boom" stories come from newbies who buy a used one, then crank up the boost w/o any idea of the state of the engine, then comp;lain when an HG goes.

I have read many many posts on HP numbers, but rarely - and I mean rarely - are those posts ever backed up with any certified dyno tests.  Perhaps I'm just a skeptic, but until I see some data.... .all those numbers are just HAPPY Bravo Sierra to me.

Regarding reliability of any DIYer highly modified-from-stock engine, IF I saw the numbers produced on SuperFlo engine dyno or a Mustang chassis dyno, the next condition I'd want to know is what is the mean time to failure.

Gnarls.

Plenty more here MK3 Dyno Sheet Thread, a couple of the higher end builds are above 700rwhp.

This guy is running 1000+HP, mid 700's on pump gas, granted his is an extreme build, but the 1000HP is done on the stock crank and bearings.

I don't believe that a different head gasket and ARP studs, and a "proper rebuild" (what, as opposed to the factory's improper build?) will "resolve" the inherent design flaw in those engines.  A new head gasket of course will repair it.

Gnarls.
The HG issue which most of them suffer from was due to EPA ban on asbestos in the HG, and Toyota not coming up with new torque numbers, not until the BHG's became an issue.

"Proper rebuild" has nothing to do with the factory, it has to do with not cutting corners and/or reusing used parts when rebuilding the 7m.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,272
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Holy Hot-Ca-Ca Batman... we got dyno tests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Gnarls. :dancing:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
JW Speaker headlights!  Pretty sure he said marlin crawler transmission @ 11:00... Not a big fan of this kid though haha
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
As long as you are reasonable w/the boost no issues w/reliability.  Most of the "boom" stories come from newbies who buy a used one, then crank up the boost w/o any idea of the state of the engine, then comp;lain when an HG goes.

Here's the thing about all this Wow-Power... first, in the video, Duane admittedly went through 5 turbos and 2 engines.  Just an estimate of round numbers of cash, not including all other cost of time, @ $3K per turbo and 2 engines, he's probably spent $15,000 just for turbos alone.  On his 2nd engine... another 10 grand... he most likely spent north of $30,000.

Now about "one-time" dyno tests on wow-power engines... we can dyno test Duane's machine once... all good... happy numbers!  How many hours before that engine goes BOOM?  Can we dyno test that same machine 3 months later, 6 months later, 1 year later?  I'd willing wager a bet that I can dyno my new engine (when I get it in my truck and broken in), then 1 year later and 3 years later, and 5 years later, it will still show the same or very nearly the same numbers on the same Mustang chassis dyno.

Mosk (Mr. 22RE Turbo) went through at least 3 turbos and a couple engines.  Unless you are a NASCAR team or a NHRA team with multi-million dollars contributed by sponsors, with the best engine builders on the planet, with access to the most advanced automotive parts anywhere, can YOU afford to blow up a $30K engine, or $5K engine?

Is the discussion about how much power you can get out of 22 engine and keep it reliable, drivable, and within some reasonable expenditure to the average DIYer? 

To me it boils down to INCREASE = LESS RELIABILITY.  If you take a stock 22R at 100 HP that's good for 100,000 miles.  If you take a stock 22R and slap a $3,000 blower on it you get 50% increase or 150 HP... and now your reliability goes down by 50%... so will it be reliable for 100,000 miles... probably not.

A 358 cubic inch naturally aspirated NASCAR engine takes over 100 hours to build, designed to live at 9,000 RPM for hours, producing about 800 HP - for ONE race.  The cost is around $80,000.

If a top fuel nitro-buring dragster with a 500 cu engine producing about 10,000 HP can make one pass with no failures, it costs about $15,000.  The engines are opened after every run.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2016, 05:31:14 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Sorry Gnarly, I have to disagree with a turbocharged 22r not lasting as long. If you know what you're doing and use head studs and lower the compression it will easily last just as long as a N/A 22r. Toyota srewed up with their CT20 turbo. It was a bad design from the start and that's what caused lots of problems. 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Sorry Gnarly, I have to disagree with a turbocharged 22r not lasting as long. If you know what you're doing and use head studs and lower the compression it will easily last just as long as a N/A 22r. Toyota srewed up with their CT20 turbo. It was a bad design from the start and that's what caused lots of problems. 

Yeah Mudder... It's not so much that the engine won't hold up, it's the turbocharger.  Most aftermarket turbo manufacturers have only a 12 month warranty.  A few have 24 months.   Is that what you think is "lasting as long"?  Do you really think a turbo'd 22RE will go 100,000, 150,000, or 200,000 miles before failure vs. my 22RE that I'm rebuilding?

My point is that increasing power with a turbo is going to reduce the longevity of the engine hours vs a non-boosted engine.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 07:21:19 AM by Gnarly4X »

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3749
  • Male Posts: 2,855
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
All I gotta say is Diesel  :D
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
All I gotta say is Diesel  :D

Diesel's are stinkers on the trails. :thumbdown:  :gap:

Would this one bolt up to my bellhousing?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/toyota-turbobiesel-strong-light-clean/

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 04:17:21 AM by Gnarly4X »

Smithk2ski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile