Author Topic: 22re high comp rebuild Injector question  (Read 4890 times)

Poweredbytoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
22re high comp rebuild Injector question
« on: Aug 13, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Hi guys. I need a new set of injectors. What would you guys recommend? Pretty nice build just need some new injectors. Thanks!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 22re high comp rebuild Injector question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
Hi guys. I need a new set of injectors. What would you guys recommend? Pretty nice build just need some new injectors. Thanks!

So, the old injectors cannot be refurbished?  IF you can have them rebuilt - WitchHunter.

For new, you might try LC Engineeing, 22RE Performance, or engbldr??

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Poweredbytoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »
What cc would you suggest?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
What cc would you suggest?

Hey Powerbytoyota,

Geeezzz...  I wouldn't suggest anything.  You didn't tell us what kind of rebuild your engine is or what your performance goal is. 

As I remember the CCs/minute specs on 22RE injectors vary. 

I'd email Gordon at WitchHunter:    Here's a cool calculator, but I'd seek some expert advice.  Selecting the right injector is probably VERY critical.

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

Let us know what you find out.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2016, 12:18:58 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Poweredbytoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2016, 10:19:47 PM »
Mild street truck. Motors .30 over, mild cam, some Head work, my theory is if your doing something do it. I can't leave well enough alone.. If I'm taking my upper back off why put stock injectors back in. Decided on going with a 220 4 hole with the resister bypass. Let me know if you guys have any experience..

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2016, 11:00:22 PM »
Mild street truck. Motors .30 over, mild cam, some Head work, my theory is if your doing something do it. I can't leave well enough alone.. If I'm taking my upper back off why put stock injectors back in. Decided on going with a 220 4 hole with the resister bypass. Let me know if you guys have any experience..

I'm just curious.... what information or recommendations do you have for deciding to go with 220 4-hole injectors for that engine?

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2016, 11:15:20 PM by Gnarly4X »

Poweredbytoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
Cheap, taking a gamble, 3 day shipping

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2016, 04:41:55 AM »
Cheap, taking a gamble, 3 day shipping

OK, I think I get it... So you're a penny-pinching-risk-taker-in-a-big-flipp'n-hurry!!  :rockingout:

Gnarls. :spin:

Poweredbytoyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Eh, ended up going the high impedance route on my 3rz I'm running a megasquirt harness/ computer on. So I figured why not go high impedance with my daily driver. FYI seeing that you have zero post and just a bunch of responses. What injectors are you running? What's your setup? Or are you a mouse jockey?  Cheers bud.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
How do you expect us to answer your bloody question when we're trying to figure out your thought process? Stick to stock injectors unless you're running a turbo. With higher compression you don't need higher flowing injectors and it'll just screw with your computer.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
Mild street truck. Motors .30 over, mild cam, some Head work, my theory is if your doing something do it.

The stock injectors should outflow the stock AFM, so unless you are getting more air into the engine than the injectors can handle, the extra gas will just go out the exhaust as unburnt fuel.  The 5mge AFM is a common swap for the 22re, would need to run larger intake tubing as well. 

What "head work" have you done, port matched, O/S valves?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »
Eh, ended up going the high impedance route on my 3rz I'm running a megasquirt harness/ computer on. So I figured why not go high impedance with my daily driver. FYI seeing that you have zero post and just a bunch of responses. What injectors are you running? What's your setup? Or are you a mouse jockey?  Cheers bud.

Hey Poweredbytoyota,

My apologies if my sense of humor was a little insensitive in your time of seriousness. :therethere:

It appears to me that you really didn't want anyone's input here, your mind is already made up because you told us what you were going to buy without any technical feedback.  :gap:

When someone posts a question on a site like this, usually  the post contains enough information for the average I.Q. to figure out the person's thoughts.  :shake_head:

Telling us that you need injectors without knowing what the hell you're doing with them and why is like sniffing flowers through your butt!  :rofl2:

Regarding my mouse and his jockey... my mouse is used less than my keyboard, but I jockey my mouse at least once a day whether it needs it or not. :smokin:

By the way, Snowtoy's and Mudder's comments are spot on.

Oh ya... since I have "zero post" and "just a bunch of responses", I doubt you really want to know what injectors I'm running or what my setup is. :yupyup:

Gnarls. :spin:
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2016, 04:26:15 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »
Just to add to this topic...

Assuming the cc/minute spec on the a 4-hole injector is close to the same as single port injector for the same engine AF requirement, can we assume the 4 hole style injector has smaller ports?  Since an early 22RE would not be considered a super clean fuel burning engine, I would imagine switching to a 4-hole fuel injector on a 22RE would be more prone to injector clogging..... lots of fun to diagnose. 

The Japanese engineers designed and spec the position of the injector and how it atomizes the single fuel stream inside the cylinder for a good reason.  Switching to a different injector with a different spray pattern may be better or may be worse than the stock injector.   

Just for the record, as part of my initial research for my engine rebuild, several months ago I discussed 22RE injectors with two very knowledge Toyota experts, each had a different opinion.  :dunno:

That's just my worthless opinion.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 04:07:30 AM by Gnarly4X »