Author Topic: NEED INFO... 1997 a340F? v6 4runner, to 22re bellhousing/TC to VW TDI  (Read 2130 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Well guys, I am part of a VWdiesel group or two, but this time around I think someone might have a little more info here.

I have a vw tdi to 22re bellhousing adapter and flywheel, but looking to go automatic instead.
From what I can tell the 1997 4runner v6 auto should have a manual shifted transfer case(or no case if I buy a 2wd, ((price matters a lot)))
I used to own a 22re auto. there was a spacer between the crankshaft and the flex plate, this is GREAT for me because I can use this to figure out any pilot issues with the TC.
Anyways, I am thinking, go buy a bell housing from a 22re auto.... but WHAT TORQUE CONVERTER???
Can I make this happen?
Someone here has either bolted a newer a340F to their older 22RE or something... I know this is done to be able to bolt up other transfer cases and the newer trans has a removable case.

on a side note. I have a friend who does arduino.... I plan on pulling the ECU and wiring and selling that with the 3.4 when I pull it... (unless cost works out and I find something with an absolutely destroyed engine) anyways, I will need to make my own TCM. my TDI has a TPS and a CPS hopefully this in combination with the VSS will allow an arduino TCM. any info on that would be great as well. While I do plan on taking this off road/dune/snow it WILL not be a rock crawler. ALSO I will be towing up to the 5000 lbs towing capacity on a regular basis, coolers will be installed. other than the engine swap. KISS, no driveshaft mods.  this will get spacers on the top of the struts and either springs or spacers and some airbag shocks out back for towing. PLEASE try to keep this on topic. My wife wont drive a stick, she can but wont, back problems are a portion of it. autos are 10:1 to manuals in 3rd gen runners. 
Manual is not an option.

How to I attach the a340f from a 1997 4runner to a 1997 vw TDI with a 22re bellhousing adapter plate??? I can weld, mill, drill, lathe. (smithy 3in1 machine)
How do I simply control the a340f with an arduino, ECO-sport-tow modes would be great, but a standard program would be fine too. downhill assist on the tow mode would be pretty cool. 

Finally thanks in advance for any usefull info
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

mtnkid82

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • RUBIETR
    • View Profile
Can't help but I want to follow this to see what you come up with. I've often thought about a similar swap for a 2wd DD.
IM lookin for a 84-88/89 Toyota truck/runner for parts thanx

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
sounds good, I have a line on a local 22re 2wd auto transmission if its still available, going to try and get it cheaper than listed but also need to make sure it comes with the flex plate.
if that works out I might try and set it up for my samurai. I also have a line on an a340F but he wants me to make an offer....

I will for sure let you know. I have a friend who can code the arduino, he just needs to know parameters. That being said, worst case the first hour its driven he will be in my passenger seat!

Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile