Author Topic: Any insight as to why this happened ?  (Read 6081 times)

pursang

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Any insight as to why this happened ?
« on: Jul 18, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »
This is the worst case of rust I've ever seen it's like the frame was packed with salt before it left the factory !

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Any insight as to why this happened ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »
What year truck?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

pursang [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2016, 10:42:13 PM »
I'm not exactly sure, the guy pictured got a deal he couldn't pass up then preceded to post pictures on various sites asking how to fix it. I'm amazed the frame rust is so extreme while the body is in great shape.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:16:16 PM »
There's only one way to fix that
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:21:34 PM »
The body has likely been replaced to be that clean and have the frame that rotted, or possibly the PO washed the body off frequently during the winter but but ignored the frame. 

Yep, replace the frame, then move out of the rust-belt states. :laugh:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

furgy12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:57:37 PM »
I think pirate 4x4 has a thread about toyota frame weak spots... if I remember correctly that area of the frame is very succeptible for some reason... granted this appears to be an extreme case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

furgy12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
P.s. I think the fix is to Bob the heck out of it and give it a samuri wheel base lol

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
I think pirate 4x4 has a thread about toyota frame weak spots... if I remember correctly that area of the frame is very succeptible for some reason... granted this appears to be an extreme case

There isn't any oem rust issue with the pre Tacoma frames, the rust issue is caused by the region they are in, i.e. those states that still use.used salt to deice their roads. 

The first gen Tacoma frame rust issue was due to Dana Corp's manufacturing process, Dana had to pay Toyota $25mil. for their mistake,and Toyota has a recall program for the Taco frames.  Toyota also has a limited recall campaign for '05-'08 Tacoma's in rust-belt states, to clean and apply rust coating, or replace the frame if it has rust through.

Why vehicle buyers who live in the rust-belt states don't demand their states to reduce the amount of salt used on their roads is beyond me, I understand that it is the cheapest thing to use to deice the roads, but the toll it takes on vehicles it should be used sparingly, as it is in the West.  My BIL who lives in MN paid extra for the rust coating on his new Dodge Ram, it is only 4 yrs old, sees about 1000 miles/month in the winter, and the doors are rotting from the inside out. :shake:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

furgy12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
There isn't any oem rust issue with the pre Tacoma frames, the rust issue is caused by the region they are in, i.e. those states that still use.used salt to deice their roads. 

The first gen Tacoma frame rust issue was due to Dana Corp's manufacturing process, Dana had to pay Toyota $25mil. for their mistake,and Toyota has a recall program for the Taco frames.  Toyota also has a limited recall campaign for '05-'08 Tacoma's in rust-belt states, to clean and apply rust coating, or replace the frame if it has rust through.

Why vehicle buyers who live in the rust-belt states don't demand their states to reduce the amount of salt used on their roads is beyond me, I understand that it is the cheapest thing to use to deice the roads, but the toll it takes on vehicles it should be used sparingly, as it is in the West.  My BIL who lives in MN paid extra for the rust coating on his new Dodge Ram, it is only 4 yrs old, sees about 1000 miles/month in the winter, and the doors are rotting from the inside out. :shake:
I wasn't implying that there was a 'defect' just that the area is succeptible for whatever reason, I also do know where rust comes from. Although I did not know about the tacoma recall, I had heard things here and there but didn't know the details.

I also agree completely, I used to live in NY and cars just disintegrate over there, I can't imagine spending 20+K on a new vehicle just knowing that it will literally rot away... gotta love the great state of AZ

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »
That's insane.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

JAWS85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
I live in sj.... my truck was on a large blueberry farm and saw very little on road use. Bought it saying wow that's the cleanest frame I have ever seen around here...... drove it 3 winters in our nice salt. Did the SAS swap and moved to the back to do the 63 swap...... hahaha joke was on me apparently the frame was full of sand from the farm which held the salt mist from the road. Rotted it almost as bad. All I can say is new frame. :hammer:
1988 Std.Cab UGLY.... 37s, MC dual case, 529s, ARB rear and lock rite up front.  Chevy 63s. Finally on the road.

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
Wow! What part of the Midwest are you in? I am from Chicago and have seen plenty of that. My 1984 is perfect, but it is a California truck.
That area of the truck is were the snow and salt used to melt the snow gets stuck and eats up everything. I will take a lot of grinding and welding but it's salvageable.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

pursang [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »
Found the original thread over at Toyota Nation, looks like the truck is from eastern Ontario, he's posted a few repair pics.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/81-pre-88-toyota-pickup-hilux/164539-frame-problems-1984-toyota-4x2.html

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,249
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
.... I will take a lot of grinding and welding but it's salvageable.

I don't think so scooter.  :gap:

Gnarls.  :spin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8349
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »
I would not trust my life with that repair. Would have found a good frame myself. To each their own I guess.  :outtahere:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
I agree with not trusting my life to it in the present condition, but what is the intended use for the truck? If  he's going to make it a rock rig, shies the limit, cut the frame at the cab and go crazy. If you intend to use this on a regular basis, I agree with the frame replacement.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

onecool1929

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
My pops always told me the you never buy a car out of any state that uses salt or sand on the roads because it gets into areas that you can never get clean.
I told him one day that I was going to drive my hot rod out on the Bonneville Salt Flats and he said don't because of the rust that it will cause.