Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 233222 times)

RUGER

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 5752
  • Male Posts: 773
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1950 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
Hey Ruger.... Yeah I thought of that.  If it true, does that mean the tranny will need to be disassembled by Marlin?... or can me, myself, and I, just remove the input housing and replace the bearing?

I gotta a bad feeling I WILL have to drop the tranny!!!... I'd rather be mauled by an Alaskan Grizzly!!  :gap:

Gnarls. :thumbdown:

gnarls

if you wanna have a rebuilt tranny but marlin itll be awesome. the input bearing means dropping the tranny and i know thats yer least favorite thing. 
i rebuilt my tranny back when i was in college with my dad so easily 15 years ago. if i remember right my input gear got screwed and cluster gear went with it. rebuilt whole tranny with him except fer synchros fer some reason. like i said its been awhile. inside the bell housing theres an access panel to the input shaft. theres a bearing pressed onto the shaft. i cracked the nose of my old input shaft getting the old bearing off(i was able to get a new one from a buddy that worked at a gear/tranny shop, got a new cluster gear from him to). im not sure if you can get it all done from that access cover fer the input shaft or not.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 4134
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1951 on: Jul 02, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »
Hey Ruger...

Well... I have a gut feeling I will have to drop the tranny to see what is going on.

If the noise is the input shaft bearing, and I cannot replace the bearing without disassembling the tranny, I will have someone do it - Marlin or my local tranny shop?

I am going to wait before I drop the tranny. I have too many family life things on my plate right now.

Since I replaced the head from engnbldr, I need to find out if the engine is still burning 1 quart of oil in 600 miles.  If it does, I will park the truck for awhile until I decide if I will pull the engine and attempt another rebuild myself, or buy a long block from 22RE Performance.  One option suggested was to pull the engine and replace the rings, but at that point I might as well completely rebuild it.  I'll probably end up buying a long block from 22RE Performance.

I've learned a lot about this rebuild project, mostly what I didn't know and should have known.  Unfortunately I trusted one of the most reputable and respected suppliers and my local machine shop.  I also badly underestimated the cost and hours of labor.  Now I have some strong opinions about what is really involved in successfully rebuilding one of these 22s that will last 250,000 or 300,000 miles.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

RUGER

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1952 on: Jul 02, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »
gnarls

hope it all works out.

if you need a hand i can possibly help you out. :beerchug:

thats a lot of oil

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport

NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1953 on: Jul 03, 2020, 03:11:28 AM »
gnarls

hope it all works out.

if you need a hand i can possibly help you out. :beerchug:

thats a lot of oil

Thanks Ruger.  I appreciate your kind offer.   :beerchug:

If you ever come down off your mountain and get down to the Phoenix area, let me know - dinner is on me!!   :thumbs:

Gnarls.   :spin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

RUGER

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1954 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
likewise if you come to flagstaff.
edit: but i'm buying or grilling. :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2020, 08:21:30 PM by RUGER »

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport

NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1955 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »
Another boring update:  July 5th

I started the truck to move it and I did not hear the squeak I heard last week-end?

The leak in the rear diff is gone after replacing the pinion seal.

The leak in the oil pump is gone after replacing the engbldr oil pump with at the original factory oil pump I saved during the rebuild.

I cannot determine for sure where the oil is coming from at the back of the oil pan and the bottom of the bell housing. It’s a slow drip.  It could be from the rear main seal! Or it’s leaking from the back of the oil pan.  I used the “Toyota” seal method with Permatex Ultra Black and a bead around the pan, no gasket.  I will NOT do that again.  This time I will use a gasket and Ultra Black, like a Japanese Ishino Stone, Mahle, Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley.

The rear main crankshaft seal is the one that came in the engnbldr complete rebuild kit. It will not surprise me that it may have failed.  The gasket failures from that kit is pathetic. The head gasket failed, the grommets on the rocker cover failed, the rocker cover gasket failed, and the oil pump string gasket seal and/or harmonic balancer seal failed.

I can only assume that most, if not all, of those gaskets and seals were from DNJ and were defective or Chinese junk.

Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased Toyota factory seals and gaskets. Based upon my comparisons of seals and gaskets, I will only buy and use several brands other than Toyota – Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley, and Timken to name a few.

Dropping the front axle to replace the oil pan gasket or dropping the tranny to replace the rear crank seal are two of my most dreaded jobs!!  BUT… I hate oil leaks!!

The garage was only 101d F yesterday, so I’ll have to work a couple hours in the early morning.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020, 05:09:32 AM by Gnarly4X »