Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396165 times)

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16509
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1950 on: Jun 29, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
Hey Ruger.... Yeah I thought of that.  If it true, does that mean the tranny will need to be disassembled by Marlin?... or can me, myself, and I, just remove the input housing and replace the bearing?

I gotta a bad feeling I WILL have to drop the tranny!!!... I'd rather be mauled by an Alaskan Grizzly!!  :gap:

Gnarls. :thumbdown:

gnarls

if you wanna have a rebuilt tranny but marlin itll be awesome. the input bearing means dropping the tranny and i know thats yer least favorite thing. 
i rebuilt my tranny back when i was in college with my dad so easily 15 years ago. if i remember right my input gear got screwed and cluster gear went with it. rebuilt whole tranny with him except fer synchros fer some reason. like i said its been awhile. inside the bell housing theres an access panel to the input shaft. theres a bearing pressed onto the shaft. i cracked the nose of my old input shaft getting the old bearing off(i was able to get a new one from a buddy that worked at a gear/tranny shop, got a new cluster gear from him to). im not sure if you can get it all done from that access cover fer the input shaft or not.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1951 on: Jul 02, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »
Hey Ruger...

Well... I have a gut feeling I will have to drop the tranny to see what is going on.

If the noise is the input shaft bearing, and I cannot replace the bearing without disassembling the tranny, I will have someone do it - Marlin or my local tranny shop?

I am going to wait before I drop the tranny. I have too many family life things on my plate right now.

Since I replaced the head from engnbldr, I need to find out if the engine is still burning 1 quart of oil in 600 miles.  If it does, I will park the truck for awhile until I decide if I will pull the engine and attempt another rebuild myself, or buy a long block from 22RE Performance.  One option suggested was to pull the engine and replace the rings, but at that point I might as well completely rebuild it.  I'll probably end up buying a long block from 22RE Performance.

I've learned a lot about this rebuild project, mostly what I didn't know and should have known.  Unfortunately I trusted one of the most reputable and respected suppliers and my local machine shop.  I also badly underestimated the cost and hours of labor.  Now I have some strong opinions about what is really involved in successfully rebuilding one of these 22s that will last 250,000 or 300,000 miles.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1952 on: Jul 02, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »
gnarls

hope it all works out.

if you need a hand i can possibly help you out. :beerchug:

thats a lot of oil

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1953 on: Jul 03, 2020, 03:11:28 AM »
gnarls

hope it all works out.

if you need a hand i can possibly help you out. :beerchug:

thats a lot of oil

Thanks Ruger.  I appreciate your kind offer.   :beerchug:

If you ever come down off your mountain and get down to the Phoenix area, let me know - dinner is on me!!   :thumbs:

Gnarls.   :spin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1954 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
likewise if you come to flagstaff.
edit: but i'm buying or grilling. :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2020, 08:21:30 PM by RUGER »

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1955 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »
Another boring update:  July 5th

I started the truck to move it and I did not hear the squeak I heard last week-end?

The leak in the rear diff is gone after replacing the pinion seal.

The leak in the oil pump is gone after replacing the engbldr oil pump with at the original factory oil pump I saved during the rebuild.

I cannot determine for sure where the oil is coming from at the back of the oil pan and the bottom of the bell housing. It’s a slow drip.  It could be from the rear main seal! Or it’s leaking from the back of the oil pan.  I used the “Toyota” seal method with Permatex Ultra Black and a bead around the pan, no gasket.  I will NOT do that again.  This time I will use a gasket and Ultra Black, like a Japanese Ishino Stone, Mahle, Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley.

The rear main crankshaft seal is the one that came in the engnbldr complete rebuild kit. It will not surprise me that it may have failed.  The gasket failures from that kit is pathetic. The head gasket failed, the grommets on the rocker cover failed, the rocker cover gasket failed, and the oil pump string gasket seal and/or harmonic balancer seal failed.

I can only assume that most, if not all, of those gaskets and seals were from DNJ and were defective or Chinese junk.

Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased Toyota factory seals and gaskets. Based upon my comparisons of seals and gaskets, I will only buy and use several brands other than Toyota – Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley, and Timken to name a few.

Dropping the front axle to replace the oil pan gasket or dropping the tranny to replace the rear crank seal are two of my most dreaded jobs!!  BUT… I hate oil leaks!!

The garage was only 101d F yesterday, so I’ll have to work a couple hours in the early morning.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020, 05:09:32 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1956 on: Oct 01, 2021, 07:07:59 AM »
UPDATE:  OCTOBER 1, 2021

Well.... it's been way too long to get back into working on my 1986 Xtracab. :sad2:

Much more important "life things" took over last year and most of this year. :disturbed:

I had to put my truck project on the backburner and working in my garage when it's a 115d F kicks my old butt. :kickbutt:

The weather here in sunny AZ is cooling down, so I hope to be back into my garage and start back up with fixing my oil leak and diagnosing my engine tick. :gap:

Gnarls.  :usa:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1957 on: Oct 09, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »
UPDATE:  OCTOBER 9 2021

I re-adjusted the valve lash this morning just to make sure the lash was not out that was causing my rocker tick.

The lash was within spec. :thumbs:

I was able to diagnose the tick.  It appears to be the Doug Thorley header gasket.  :sad2:

It is on cylinder number 4.

I'm disappointed that it didn't even make it 30,000 miles?? :disturbed:

I ordered a new DT gasket and I'll inspect the exhaust leak area to see what failed.

Gnarls. :usa:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1958 on: Oct 11, 2021, 05:57:11 AM »
Use a copper gasket.......
Time to go wheelin!

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1960 on: Oct 11, 2021, 04:19:04 PM »
https://www.jegs.com/i/SCE+Gaskets/829/9415A/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwY-LBhD6ARIsACvT72Pxgxwm6ykKksU7Dg9v-PdBovpt4mL0ZG1F41_5WBko8zxjQfnRz10aAscnEALw_wcB

The header gasket is for a round port.  I don't think a tear drop gasket will work? :dunno:

I was thinking of spraying the gasket with Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket.

Is Remflex any good?

Gnarls.  :usa:

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: Oct 11, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
Remflex is the way to go if you're having problems. They are like 1/4" thick graphite. If remflex wont seal it nothing will.   :twocents:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1962 on: Oct 11, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
Remflex is the way to go if you're having problems. They are like 1/4" thick graphite. If remflex wont seal it nothing will.   :twocents:

Thanks for the input.  :beerchug:

I just received the DT gasket from Summit.

If that doesn't work, then I will get a Remflex.  :thumbs:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1963 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:00:55 AM »
After a little more research....

I will try this on the new DT header gasket.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-series-gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-copper-maximum-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker/

It's 200d F higher temp rated than the Copper-Spray-A-Gasket. :thumbs:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1964 on: Oct 12, 2021, 05:17:56 AM »
I'll second Remflex, good product!
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1965 on: Oct 14, 2021, 05:58:39 AM »
I'll second Remflex, good product!

Hey Mud....

Yeah... If had not pulled the trigger a little too soon on a DT gasket from Summit, I would have ordered a RemFlex.

Summit has been really good to me over the past years with super quick delivery and excellent customer service! :thumbs:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1966 on: Oct 16, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
UPDATE:  October 16 2021

I was able to coat the DT gaskets and the two gaskets on block-off plates with Permatex Ultra Copper.

After torqueing the nuts down good, I couldn't detect any exhaust leaks, but I have not taken the truck for a test drive.

I'm anal about keeping the header nuts tight, but the gasket failed from too much hot gas escaping around and through the gasket.

The graphite-coated material burned off the center metal center layer.

If this attempt at sealing the header against the head failures again, I will have the mounting plate machined and buy a RemFlex.

NOTE:  My last DT header that I installed on my 1985 22R, I don't remember having an issue with exhaust leaks.... BUT... I had the mounting plate surface-to-manifold machined flat.

While I was under the truck disconnecting the header coupler to the exhaust pipe, I could see two different colored oil drips on the tranny!! One I suspect is motor oil, and one looks like gear oil!

CRAP!!  I HATE OIL LEAKS!!

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2021, 05:15:55 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1967 on: Oct 17, 2021, 05:56:27 AM »
MORE GASKET LEAK ANALYSIS:

I looked closer at the gasket.

You can see that the head side of the gasket has a distinct imprint, clearly showing the seal against the gasket.

You can see the gasket on the Doug Thorley header flange side has almost no distinct impression on the gasket.

You can also see the holes wear the hot exhaust gases burned through the gasket material is more on the header flange side.

To me this is a clear indication that the header flange is NOT flat and allowing uneven sealing pressure.

I'm very disappointed in Doug Thorley's lack of quality regarding this header.  They've been manufacturing headers for over 60 years! :thumbdown:

Why can't they machine the flange surface and design a better header gasket?.... it's all about the money!!  :disturbed:

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: Oct 17, 2021, 01:19:26 PM »
looks to me like you used the wrong gasket. an 81-84 gasket(round) instead of an 85-95 gasket(ovalish) and it was burning it's way through the extra material. that's probably why it didn't seal correctly

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2021, 03:45:25 PM by liveoak »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1969 on: Oct 17, 2021, 04:16:49 PM »
looks to me like you used the wrong gasket. an 81-84 gasket(round) instead of an 85-95 gasket(ovalish) and it was burning it's way through the extra material. that's probably why it didn't seal correctly

That is an interesting observation.

Actually the 81-84 stock style gasket may seal better.  Due to the height of the DT flange right below #s 2 & 3 spark plug, I would have to trim the metal shield – not a big deal.

The exhaust ports on my head are pear shaped… However, I don’t have air injection, so the block-off plates are required.

The only header gasket Doug Thorley offers for that header is the one with round holes for the round part of the port and the top of the pear is blocked by the gasket and the plate.
As the hot exhaust gas blasts against that area on the gasket, it burns through that portion under the block-off plates.

Would the metal seal ring on the gasket around the port hole make it more burn resistant?

The DT gasket should have been port matched.

I see LCE’s header has a pear-shaped stock style header gasket.  However, LCE’s header mounting flange has been designed to allow the heat shield to fit at spark plugs 2 & 3.

A RemFlex on a machined mounting flange may be the optimum solution.

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2021, 04:35:34 PM by Gnarly4X »

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: Oct 17, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2021, 06:20:26 PM by liveoak »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1971 on: Nov 16, 2021, 05:11:38 AM »
UPDATE:  NOVEMBER 16, 2021

My next "fix" is dropping the oil pan to fix the leak.

I used the Toyota recommended sealing method when I rebuilt the engine.  I used Ultra Black.

That method only lasted about 25,000 miles! :thumbdown:

This time I am going to use a cork gasket and Permatex... I have not decided which Permatex option I am going to use on the gasket.

Who has dropped the oil pan and replaced it on an IFS 22RE?  I don't remember ever dropping the oil pan on an IFS pickup?

I have viewed a couple Youtube videos, but they were not as detailed as I would like to see.

What hot tips do I need to know?  :dunno:

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: Nov 16, 2021, 05:30:32 AM »
There are 2 different oil pans.. 1 uses a cork gasket, the other uses fipg. You can tell by the indentation on the pan.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1973 on: Nov 16, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »
I use the cork gasket and Ultra-Black, event though it didn't have one originally.

My trick is lay some Plastic wrap on the floor.     

Attach the gasket to the pan with Ultra-Black, make sure you're lined up good.

Put the pan gasket side down on the plastic wrap.

Add a bunch of weight to the pan (make sure the gasket doesn't slide).

Let dry overnight.

Now the gasket won't squish out when attaching the pan to the engine (with more Ultra-Black between the gasket and engine)

The trickest part is getting the pan on past the oil pickup..............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1974 on: Nov 16, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »
I use the cork gasket and Ultra-Black, event though it didn't have one originally.

My trick is lay some Plastic wrap on the floor.     

Attach the gasket to the pan with Ultra-Black, make sure you're lined up good.

Put the pan gasket side down on the plastic wrap.

Add a bunch of weight to the pan (make sure the gasket doesn't slide).

Let dry overnight.

Now the gasket won't squish out when attaching the pan to the engine (with more Ultra-Black between the gasket and engine)

The trickest part is getting the pan on past the oil pickup..............

Hi e....

THAT is exactly my plan!! :beerchug:

I am going to call Permatex and talk to a tech about their products.  My Dad was an automechanic and remember his favorite sealant for just about everything on a engine was Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket.  It was a dark brown-reddish color and it had a strong odor.  Very sticky stuff.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2021, 04:29:18 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1975 on: Nov 16, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
There are 2 different oil pans.. 1 uses a cork gasket, the other uses fipg. You can tell by the indentation on the pan.

Hi O...

Mine has the grooves to use FIPG.   I don't like that method, and I will go with a cork gasket this time.

When I rebuilt the engine, I was hesitant to use just the Ultra Black and no gasket, should have gone with my gut instinct and previous experiences.  I don't care what the Toyota manual says.

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: Nov 16, 2021, 07:18:58 PM »
toyota manual says to use toyota fipg, not ultra black. I've never had a pan leak using it. it is literally made for the application you are describing.
it is not the same thing as ultra black

Genuine Seal Packing (FIPG) 103 Liquid Oil Pan gasket 0029500103.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Packing-Liquid-gasket-0029500103/dp/B000EDDTV0#customerReviews
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2021, 08:27:28 PM by liveoak »

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: Nov 16, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »
Hi O...

Mine has the grooves to use FIPG.   I don't like that method, and I will go with a cork gasket this time.

When I rebuilt the engine, I was hesitant to use just the Ultra Black and no gasket, should have gone with my gut instinct and previous experiences.  I don't care what the Toyota manual says.

Good luck with that..

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: Nov 16, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
Make sure the mating surface of the pan is truly flat.  I had to do this to one of my engines.  It had 3 colors of sealant, and cork.   :rofl2:  I made sure everything was clean with solvent, and gooped it up, put the pan on lightly, and torqued it to spec the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oijPWkTRBw

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: Nov 16, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »
Never seen one of those cork gaskets that didn't leak. I've used ultra grey multiple times with good results but it's a real pain to get apart. Working on a Taco 2rz right now and will be using Toyota FIPG.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0