Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392530 times)

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1860 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
Do it

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1861 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »
Who, other than H8PVMNT, has honed cylinders in prepping a 20/22 block, and rebuilt it yourself?  :gap:

Gnarls. :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:29:32 PM »
Who, other than H8PVMNT, has honed cylinders in prepping a 20/22 block, and rebuilt it yourself?  :gap:

I do if the cyls haven't been machined.  I have done three 22's and a 7mgte, no issues with the engines I still own.  Honing isn't rocket science.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2019, 09:40:14 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1863 on: Mar 13, 2019, 04:32:37 AM »
I do if the cyls haven't been machined.  I have done three 22's and a 7mgte, no issues with the engines I still own.  Honing isn't rocket science.

Hey S…

Thank you for your reply.

I have been thinking about pulling my engine and rebuilding it from scratch.

I’ve been doing research on engine cylinder honing, honing tools, Ra, cross-hatching, ring & piston prepping, etc.  Some of the published information and specs is confusing.

For example, I’m reading different information, depending upon which piston/ring manufacturer.

I agree that honing is not rocket science, but apparently the honing and Ra is extremely important to the ring manufacturer.  The Ra number range also appears to be controversial.

I’m just trying to figure out what, exactly, I should know and what you have done to successfully get the compression and the low oil consumption where it should be after break-in on a rebuild 22.

What honing tool did you use?
What Ra did you end up with?
How did you measure the Ra?
What manufacturer of pistons and rings did you install?
What piston to cylinder clearance did you measure?

Thanks,

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 04:53:17 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
As you know I have done this a few times.  I have an old hone I have used every time I did it and I never had excessive oil consumption when I did.  I think it has provided a better job than when I have used what the machine shop has sent home with me, to the point that I might start running it over newly prepped blocks before assembly.  I will see if I can find out what Ra it is.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1865 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
As you know I have done this a few times.  I have an old hone I have used every time I did it and I never had excessive oil consumption when I did.  I think it has provided a better job than when I have used what the machine shop has sent home with me, to the point that I might start running it over newly prepped blocks before assembly.  I will see if I can find out what Ra it is.

H...

Thanks!! I was hoping you'd post some "pomp n' stink" LOL!

Yes, I know you've done this a few times.  I'm just trying to get as much info as I can from those who have done it... successfully.

Rebuilding this engine should not be THAT difficult.... but I'm NOT an engine builder.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1866 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »

H...

Whose pistons and rings have you had the best luck or prefer?

What piston to cylinder wall clearance spec did you use and how did you measure it?

Did you follow the ring supplier/manufacturer's spec for Ra or did you do you own Ra?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1867 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:01:42 AM »
UPDATE:  March 17, 2019

Since 2 cylinders (3 & 4) had good numbers on the last compression test (155 & 150), and considering that none of the exhaust valves were sealing, I’m now leaning towards installing the new head and see what happens.  If the severe oil consumption goes away, I may not pull the engine down to re-rebuild it at this time.

I’m thinking to install an ARP head stud kit with a Fel-Pro head gasket.  It’s interesting that with the ARP studs, ARP recommends 90 psi on the torque.

I am very interested in reading some posts from the guys, anyone, out there who has rebuilt from block up, what pistons and rings you installed, and why, AND… what the hone Ra and cross-hatching was.  How did you know what the Ra was… did you do it yourself or rely on the machine shop? What type of hone did you use, or the machine shop used?  :dunno:

Any experiences, comments or suggestions will be appreciated.  :thumbs:

Gnarls. :gap:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1868 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:42:35 AM »
Here is what cylinder #3 looks like.

Gnarls.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
I know you do your research, Why are you considering using a felpro head gasket?
I have witnessed on several occasions, felpro head gaskets lasting 6 months to a year. If you look at a felpro gasket next to a toyota gasket the quality difference is obvious.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:15:43 PM »
I’m just trying to figure out what, exactly, I should know and what you have done to successfully get the compression and the low oil consumption where it should be after break-in on a rebuild 22.
What honing tool did you use?
The three stone floating kind and a hand drill.

What manufacturer of pistons and rings did you install?
oem, NPR, whatever Engiinbuilder sent with the pistons back in the '00's, and whatever came with the rebuild kit from one of the Supra suppliers for my 7mgte.

What Ra did you end up with?

Unknown, the hone I use is older than I am, it dates back to at least the mid '50's-early '60's when my Dad was building hotrods and drag cars, possibly as old the mid '30's when my Grandfather worked as a mechanic for Cadillac.  Best guess would be it is about 220grit, which appears to be an RA somewhere between 28-35.

What piston to cylinder clearance did you measure?

Never have, just with the blocks that didn't need to be bored, I just bought the rings needed for the cylinder, and hand honed them to seat the new rings, looking at some vids on Youtube, at most this is about as aggressive as I have gone.

Having done some reading now, and compared to what I have experienced, either I am the "blind squirrel" with each hand hone I have done, or measuring the RA and piston clearance isn't as important with a re-ring on older engines as it is when the cylinders have been bored, or with modern engines and the tighter tolerances due to fuel economy and emissions requirements.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
UPDATE:  March 17, 2019

Since 2 cylinders (3 & 4) had good numbers on the last compression test (155 & 150), and considering that none of the exhaust valves were sealing, I’m now leaning towards installing the new head and see what happens.  If the severe oil consumption goes away, I may not pull the engine down to re-rebuild it at this time.

Based on the exhaust valve issues with the head, that is all I would do, your only out the cost of the head gasket, head inspection/machining, and your time, if there was more issues than just the head.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1872 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »
I know you do your research, Why are you considering using a felpro head gasket?
I have witnessed on several occasions, felpro head gaskets lasting 6 months to a year. If you look at a felpro gasket next to a toyota gasket the quality difference is obvious.

Hey T…

Yeah… good question.

So, yes I do a lot of research, and have been for many years.

I realize that there are many posts in many auto forums that have threads with the discussion of head gaskets and head gasket failures.

Over the years I have spoken to a good number of engine builders, including those rebuilding Toyota engines. 

So… what do I believe?  I believe there are good, better, and best gaskets.  There are also some very poor quality gaskets and seals being supplied.  I know because I bought 5 different brands of the input shaft seal on my tranny and did my own comparison… it’s in my thread.   I also know that the rocker cover gasket and grommets contained in the engnbldr master rebuild kit was very poor quality and failed after the first time I removed the rocker cover.  I bought a Beck Arnley from Rock Auto and there is no comparison!

Back to head gaskets…. Although I’m leaning to a Fel Pro, I’m going to do a little more research and get a few more opinions before I make my final purchase.

22RE Performance sells an “OE” gasket, but I don’t know what manufacturer.  OE can mean different things to different people.  OE can mean:  Original Equivalent… NOT OEM.. Original Equipment Manufacturer.  Most auto dealers refer to their parts as “OE”...Original Equipment.

Now that I’m going to install ARP studs, I want to know more about the torque spec that ARP recommends (90 lbs) and the gasket I choose.

Several engine builders I’ve had conversations with about head gasket failure on our 22s say it is most often NOT caused by the head gasket.

My head shop here has been rebuilding heads, mostly import (aluminum/alloy) for 35 years.  He recommended Fel Pro for the new head he built and engine.  I respect his opinion.

I may buy several head gaskets and inspect and compare them for my self.  Of course, I’m not sure that a visual “look” will be the most decisive determination of the quality?

I am open to read anyone’s opinion, experiences, or favorite head gasket and why.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2019, 02:09:00 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1873 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Based on the exhaust valve issues with the head, that is all I would do, your only out the cost of the head gasket, head inspection/machining, and your time, if there was more issues than just the head.

Hi S....

I appreciate your feedback!   :beerchug:

Yeah... I'm very curious now if the head and bad valves, and I suspect *maybe* a bad head gasket, were causing the issue with the excessive oil consumption.  My head shop guy said he thinks its possible the exhaust valves not sealing would cause excessive pressure to blow oil back into the top of the head and into the throttle body.

Once I get the new head installed, I will know something in about 600 miles!  :gap:

Gnarls.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
I have done a few head gaskets on 22R/RE engines. I have yet to see a Toyota head gasket fail prematurely. What I have seen is people do a head gasket job or have a shop do it, then the gasket fails in 6-12 months. What have these all had in common, aftermarket gaskets, mostly felpro. I refuse to use anything other than a factory gasket, whether it is my truck or someone else's I'm working on. If you look at a felpro side by side with a Toyota gasket I think you will see the difference I am talking about.

I can understand respecting the opinion of your head guy but I cant imagine he would object to you using a Toyota gasket.

I have used two head gaskets purchased through 22reperformance. They where the same gaskets you will get through the dealer. If I recall, they where in the factory Toyota packaging. I didn't really save any $$ buying through them, so if your worried you wont get factory Toyota just go to the dealer, they're about $50.

I have heard people I trust talk highly of MLS head gaskets. I don't know much about them and Toyota gaskets have served me so well I've never gotten around to looking into it.

Thats my experience/opinion on head gaskets. I hope this time around goes better and the head work gets you fixed up. 

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:06:31 AM »
I have had 2 "OEM" head gaskets from 22re performance and they were both TOTOTA brand.  So they are in fact OEM OEM.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4368
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »
another vote for 22re performance.  i bought their kit when doing my top end.
compared to the gaskets from engnbldr it was a no brainer.

I did use felpro on my fj40.....but that had a 327   :driving:

CB

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1877 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:51:50 AM »
I have done a few head gaskets on 22R/RE engines. I have yet to see a Toyota head gasket fail prematurely.

Hi t...

Thank you.

Your comments are exactly the detail of information I look for.  The factory head gasket gets high, if not the highest marks, from many people, so I know it is safe choice.  And, I agree, I don't recall anyone posting a statement that they had an issue with the "qualilty" a Toyota gasket or part.  As we know, bgen is a very strong advocate for Toyota's "stuff".

I am going to buy a Fel-Pro and a factory Toyota.  I WILL compare them, at least visually.  I have almost $6,000 invested into this rebuild/restore project, so for me the price of a gasket is completely insignificant.

The parts I've ordered from 22REP have been in Toyota packaging, but because I've had bad experiences with aftermarket and "OE" designated parts, I'm probably overly cautious.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1878 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:55:09 AM »
I have had 2 "OEM" head gaskets from 22re performance and they were both TOTOTA brand.  So they are in fact OEM OEM.

Thanks H...

Yeah, all the parts that I've ordered from 22REP have been in Toyota packaging. 

But at this point, I'm probably overly anal.  :smack:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1879 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:56:53 AM »
another vote for 22re performance.  i bought their kit when doing my top end.
compared to the gaskets from engnbldr it was a no brainer.

I did use felpro on my fj40.....but that had a 327   :driving:

CB

Thanks cbeers!  Yeah... those guys have a super good to me!!

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:08:49 AM »
If money isn’t a factor in the decision, then I am completely baffled why it’s not an obvious choice to use Toyota OEM gaskets. If you have another failure using any other brand you’ll be kicking yourself. Toyota has a long and successful history with 22R-E engines.

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1881 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »
If money isn’t a factor in the decision, then I am completely baffled why it’s not an obvious choice to use Toyota OEM gaskets. If you have another failure using any other brand you’ll be kicking yourself. Toyota has a long and successful history with 22R-E engines.

Hey bd...

I completely agree.  I just posted my "Fel-Pro" choice to stimulate some "Tech Talk" here... it was getting sluggish.  :gap:

Gnarls.  :driving:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1882 on: May 19, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
UPDATE:  MAY 19, 2019

I’m waiting to get my order from 22RE Performance – head gasket and ARP Stud Kit.

I have received all the other gaskets.  :biggthumpup:

I have a Fel-Pro head gasket and I’ll compare that with the $49.00 OE from 22RE Performance.  :yesnod:

Has anyone installed an ARP Stud Kit in a 22 block?  How did you do it?  What did you torque the nuts down to?

I will have to order 3 new fuel injector connectors – they are broken after 33 years.  I replaced the No 1 connector after some diagnosing to figure out why #1 was not firing when I first fired the engine.  :blah:

I will have to cut, wire prep, solder, and heat shrink connector wires… probably take me a couple hours.  :gap:

If I don’t run into an “Oh $hit!!” while I’m putting on the new head and putting everything back together, I hope to have it running by next week end.  :crossed:

Gnarls. :spin:

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
Yeah man!
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1884 on: May 20, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
Yeah man!

Hey H...

How's everything at 47.5847° N, 110.7922° W?

I'm really hoping by some miracle the oil consumption will go away with this new head and back to stock cam.

I've got so much to fix before I feel better about my progress on this restoration.

I looked for this truck for over 2 years.  I wanted another 22R, but I could not turn this one down, it was in too good of condition!  This truck has had more "fix it's" than my other two... of course it's 33 years old now.

I have a couple of "family" issues going on, so I'm hoping to squeeze out some time to get my hands back on this engine.

Gnarls.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »
If this fails I'm willing to come down and pick it up. I have one last Boy I need to outfit with a Toyota truck, Yours would be perfect.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1886 on: May 24, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »
If this fails I'm willing to come down and pick it up. I have one last Boy I need to outfit with a Toyota truck, Yours would be perfect.

Haahhahaha... You are one person I'd think would appreciate a 4th Gen truck in the condition it is in.  But I'd only sell it to someone who WILL NOT take it out and trash the crap out of it.  1986 Toyota trucks in this original condition is getting rare.

My gut feeling is saying this new head will NOT fix the oil consumption issue.  I believe its either a bad bore and hone job (wrong RA), or defective rings as Jim at 22RE Performance suspected.

If it continues to burn a quart of oil every 600 or 700 miles, I'll probably pull it and have Jim at 22RE Performance build me a long block.  One option I have tossed around in my head is to rebuild it again myself to prove to myself I really can successfully rebuild a 22RE.  If I do that, I'll bore it again and put in a stroker kit.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1887 on: May 24, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
UPDATE:  May 24, 2019

Got my Toy head gasket and ARP stud kit.  Waiting for my thread chaser kit.

I took a preliminary look at the head gaskets – the one from engnbldr kit (assume it’s DNJ) out of my engine rebuild, the Fel Pro, and Toyota OE.

I believe I figured out why the head gasket was leaking coolant during one of my leak down tests.  If what I see if true, I’m very disappointed in the DNJ (engnbldr gasket) as it was a complete gasket failure in less than 27,000 miles on a new head and machined block.  I need to look closer with a magnifying glass and take some photos.

A quick measurement shows the DNJ gasket is thickest, then Fel Pro, the Toyota gasket is thinnest.  The DNJ and Toyota look similar, but there is one significant difference.  They also are the slipper plate style.  The Fel Pro is not slipper plate.  There is debate on the slipper plate design and an issue with sealing.  The topic of head gaskets, especially on a bi-metal engine is a raging debate.

I got my new fuel injector connectors wired on numbers 2,3, and 4 to replace the cracked and broken 33 year old original connectors.    https://imgur.com/N9ygTTu

I have lots of cleaning of the top of that engine deck and tops of the pistons.  Then lots of solvent cleaning and compressed air before I can install the new head.

I’ll post some more detailed findings with these 3 head gaskets later.

The one on top is the one from engnbldr's kit (I think it's a DNJ label)  the one in the middle is Toyota OEM, the one on the bottom is the Fel Pro PermaTorque.

The Slipper plate design in the DNJ and the Toyota have the metal layer on top facing the bottom of the head when installed.  The design is supposed to allow slippage on the gasket surface while the coefficient of expansion is about 1.5 time more for the allow head than the cast iron block.  But some experts say they are more difficult to get a good seal and the tend to leak.

https://imgur.com/f93JT1H

https://imgur.com/WzrjJHN

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:12:38 PM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1888 on: May 24, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
Which head gasket is which in your pictures?

What is slipper plate style?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1889 on: May 24, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »
Which head gasket is which in your pictures?

What is slipper plate style?

Hey e..

The one on top is the one from engnbldr's kit (I think it's a DNJ label)  the one in the middle is Toyota OEM, the one on the bottom is the Fel Pro PermaTorque.

The Slipper plate design in the DNJ and the Toyota have the metal layer on top facing the bottom of the head when installed.  The design is supposed to allow slippage on the gasket surface while the coefficient of expansion is about 1.5 times more for the alloy head than the cast iron block.  Theoretically, the metal sheet is supposed to prevent the tearing of the gasket surface as the head expands and contracts.  But some experts say they are more difficult to get a good seal and they tend to leak.  I'm sure there is plenty of debate on this. I've read 1000's of posts on the discussion on head gaskets.

I'll post more about this later.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:52:29 PM by Gnarly4X »