Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396558 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1950 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »
Another boring update:  July 5th

I started the truck to move it and I did not hear the squeak I heard last week-end?

The leak in the rear diff is gone after replacing the pinion seal.

The leak in the oil pump is gone after replacing the engbldr oil pump with at the original factory oil pump I saved during the rebuild.

I cannot determine for sure where the oil is coming from at the back of the oil pan and the bottom of the bell housing. It’s a slow drip.  It could be from the rear main seal! Or it’s leaking from the back of the oil pan.  I used the “Toyota” seal method with Permatex Ultra Black and a bead around the pan, no gasket.  I will NOT do that again.  This time I will use a gasket and Ultra Black, like a Japanese Ishino Stone, Mahle, Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley.

The rear main crankshaft seal is the one that came in the engnbldr complete rebuild kit. It will not surprise me that it may have failed.  The gasket failures from that kit is pathetic. The head gasket failed, the grommets on the rocker cover failed, the rocker cover gasket failed, and the oil pump string gasket seal and/or harmonic balancer seal failed.

I can only assume that most, if not all, of those gaskets and seals were from DNJ and were defective or Chinese junk.

Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased Toyota factory seals and gaskets. Based upon my comparisons of seals and gaskets, I will only buy and use several brands other than Toyota – Fel-Pro, Beck Arnley, and Timken to name a few.

Dropping the front axle to replace the oil pan gasket or dropping the tranny to replace the rear crank seal are two of my most dreaded jobs!!  BUT… I hate oil leaks!!

The garage was only 101d F yesterday, so I’ll have to work a couple hours in the early morning.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020, 05:09:32 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein