Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 194965 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gnarly4X

  • Online Silver Turtle Award
  • *
  • Turtle Points: 3816
  • Male Posts: 3,217
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1890 on: Jun 02, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
Hey e...

When I did the first rebuild, I cleaned the holes in the block and the threads on the new bolts really well.  I tested them by spinning them into the block by hand - no problems, no binding.  I believe the failed head gasket was just Chinese junk.

Trapped air... I'd be very surprised if those studs could trap air, but if that were true, then after seating the stud at the bottom of the hole, the air would be compressed out, right?  So then I should be able spin the stud out with little to no resistance, BUT they came out as hard as I torqued them in.

I did suspect that the ARP lubricant was an issue, so I cleaned it off and just sprayed the threads on the stud with silicone spray. Still got bind.


Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2019, 07:34:44 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

 
 
 
 
 

Related Topics

9 Replies
3344 Views
Last post Jun 01, 2005, 10:21:46 PM
by alfio
1 Replies
1076 Views
Last post Jul 05, 2006, 07:55:19 PM
by 79coyotefrg
6 Replies
1152 Views
Last post May 22, 2007, 08:44:53 AM
by Zoomschwortz
3 Replies
2056 Views
Last post Dec 13, 2007, 04:08:02 PM
by 84pickup
4 Replies
2199 Views
Last post Feb 23, 2010, 05:57:24 PM
by topkicktech