Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392807 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1860 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »
I know you do your research, Why are you considering using a felpro head gasket?
I have witnessed on several occasions, felpro head gaskets lasting 6 months to a year. If you look at a felpro gasket next to a toyota gasket the quality difference is obvious.

Hey T…

Yeah… good question.

So, yes I do a lot of research, and have been for many years.

I realize that there are many posts in many auto forums that have threads with the discussion of head gaskets and head gasket failures.

Over the years I have spoken to a good number of engine builders, including those rebuilding Toyota engines. 

So… what do I believe?  I believe there are good, better, and best gaskets.  There are also some very poor quality gaskets and seals being supplied.  I know because I bought 5 different brands of the input shaft seal on my tranny and did my own comparison… it’s in my thread.   I also know that the rocker cover gasket and grommets contained in the engnbldr master rebuild kit was very poor quality and failed after the first time I removed the rocker cover.  I bought a Beck Arnley from Rock Auto and there is no comparison!

Back to head gaskets…. Although I’m leaning to a Fel Pro, I’m going to do a little more research and get a few more opinions before I make my final purchase.

22RE Performance sells an “OE” gasket, but I don’t know what manufacturer.  OE can mean different things to different people.  OE can mean:  Original Equivalent… NOT OEM.. Original Equipment Manufacturer.  Most auto dealers refer to their parts as “OE”...Original Equipment.

Now that I’m going to install ARP studs, I want to know more about the torque spec that ARP recommends (90 lbs) and the gasket I choose.

Several engine builders I’ve had conversations with about head gasket failure on our 22s say it is most often NOT caused by the head gasket.

My head shop here has been rebuilding heads, mostly import (aluminum/alloy) for 35 years.  He recommended Fel Pro for the new head he built and engine.  I respect his opinion.

I may buy several head gaskets and inspect and compare them for my self.  Of course, I’m not sure that a visual “look” will be the most decisive determination of the quality?

I am open to read anyone’s opinion, experiences, or favorite head gasket and why.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2019, 02:09:00 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein