Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396227 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1020 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
UPDATE 12-11-17 PM

The rear half moon plug looks like it is leaking. 

In all my years owning and working on these 22s, I don’t recall having a half moon leak.  I usually coat it with a Permatex RTV.  When I replaced the cover gasket and the grommets, I did not replace the ½ moons because I didn’t think the rear one was leaking and I know the front one was not leaking - only been in for 200+ miles.  I will remove the cover and replace the ½ moons.  If that stops the oil leak, I will be extremely happy.  I will also examine and measure the half moons for dimensions and see if I can see any significant differences.

After comparing the grommets from the kit I ordered from engnbldr as my initial rebuild package, to the recent ones I just bought from Rock Auto, the Beck Arnley brand, there is a VERY obvious difference in their construction.  So… could the cover formed gasket and the half moons be that different as well.  And, I noticed that the blue rubber cover gasket from, I believe DNJ, did not fit as snuggly in its grove in the cover.  :)bestgen4runner has repeatedly and emphatically stated that there is a quality issue with the gasket kit being supplied by engnbldr.  As much as I do not want to believe it, I may be experiencing the quality issue :)bestgen4runner has experienced.

By the way, I do not feel :)bestgen4runner is making up his obvious professional experiences and his opinions, I just had to experience it for myself to accept the reality…. I’m always a skeptic.

Based upon the cost, time, and effort to properly rebuild an engine, and then having leaks or premature seal and gasket failures caused by bad quality parts, at this point going forward I will only buy the highest quality name brand gaskets or Toyota dealer products to install in my truck.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein