I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Well… what you just described is almost exactly what I’ve experienced as I researched camshafts for the 22 over several years.
I am also somewhat surprised at the feedback on the 261C…. but… I also know there are many difference experiences with these vehicles and especially when it comes to engine rebuilds and power modifications… even the experts have different opinions.
As you probably know, Ted is a NASCAR Gold Wrench award winner. He’s probably one of sharpest flow guys around. I definitely respect his opinion. Lately, I have had more conversations with Tod, his son, but Ted and I had some great back-and-forth on the Pirate site back a few years, and before that on the early Off-road.com site.
LOL… yeah my earlier posts on various cam comparison data is still in the FAQs on several sites….. despite the smack-down I got from skeptics about computer produced dyno data. It may surprise many skeptics to find out how many serious race-engine builders use Performance Trends software!
Based on my test data, my earlier choice was the CompCam 252S because at the time it was sold by one of the most reputable camshaft builders on the planet, and was a mild change to the stock cam specs. I was primarily only looking for a small, but noticeable increase in torque in my target RPM range of 2500 to 3500, while maintaining a reasonable gas mileage.
As Ted at engbldr once confirmed on one of my posts, the results of a SuperFlo 902S tested engine may NOT simulate the same results on the race track as experienced by the driver.
I’ll work on compiling and posting my latest Engine Analyzer comparisons I did on several selected cam profiles specifically with our 2 rebuild specs.
I will figure out what the issues are with my rebuild, its just taking me WAY longer than I anticipated.
The one thing that has always REALLY bothered me is why I cannot get ANY actual dyno (engine or chassis) certified test data on the camshafts being sold for the Toyota 20/22R-RE engines!
On the exhaust... yes this is also something I've read about. With my first 22RE, the exhaust changes were too big. The DT header, muffler, cat, and 2.5" tubing caused a very noticeable loss in low end torque. I had to change the tubing and the muffler. The 22R responds differently to exhaust changes, in my opinion.