Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396418 times)

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #840 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:59 PM »
The harmonic balancer has a layer of rubber that is bonded. At least on the one that this happened to. I think it was just really old and shrunk up a bit. In any case I think the notch on the crank shaft should line up perfectly with the notch on the pulley, iirc.

Engine is bored 20 over. Timing is 5 degrees advanced with the test jumper in place. All sensors checked out so I didn't replace anything there. I had the injectors done by witch hunter but their report indicated I didn't really need to do that.

Truck ran decent before this but she ate up oil like crazy. Pretty much a quart on every full tank of gas! It had a slight miss at idle after getting fully up to temp but that has stopped with the rebuild and the idle doesn't move around like it used to.

Although the motor is quieter I would say it's got a bit more vibration happening at idle. Doesn't bother me though. Kinda expect cams to do that.

I'm honestly a little surprised at the number of people unhappy with the 261. I talked to Ted for a long time before making the purchase, and really became convinced of his knowledge. And I think that combined with torque and HP charts that were posted for a bunch of cams (I think by you Gnarly on Yotatech? Haha) I decided on the 261.

Engine pulls super hard off idle to 4K. I'll probably wait a while before I rev it higher than that, but it certainly wanted to shoot right past 4K. The real test will be the high passes on i70. I have had many different flavors of 22re on that road, doing 60 in 3rd gear at 4K+ rpms, and I know every little steep part between Denver and Moab and how a strong vs weak 22re will handle it.  So far this truck feels like it will climb the fastest out of all of them, which is great cuz it's on 35s :) 3rd gear and 4.2-4.5k on the tach is my happy place for those climbs. I think I'm going to wait till I have a good thousand miles or so before I subject this motor to that kind of torture. But emissions is coming soon.... :maddest:
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.