Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396085 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #840 on: May 01, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
Figure I should post up here since I have a similar new rebuild. Engnbldr Street RV head, 261c and the DT header. Machinist has built plenty of 22REs and said all he needed to do to my rockers was polish them a bit. Did not need to deck the block. Valve lash set to 007/009.

Anyway, I could not be happier with how this motor runs. No issues with idle and starts with a blip of the key cold or hot. It has the quietest idle out of any 22RE I have owned (10 or so at this point) and definitely pulls harder than any of them. I have about 100 miles on it so far. And it does not seem to getting noisier. Like most of us I am super familiar with the valve chatter and this just does not do it for some reason.

I have never had a fresh rebuild though to compare it to. My last truck came to me with a rebuild with 30k on it, stock head, DT and the Comp Cams 252S. My butt dyno says it did not pull as hard as this new motor, although that was 33s/4.88 and my current ride is 35s/5.29. I could not get that previous motor to have a quiet valvetrain.

I'm in CO, so I will be doing emissions on a dyno. I will report back here with how that goes. They can't really test for lean but if I have high NOx that would be a sign.

I haven't read through this whole thread but are you sure your timing mark on the damper is correct? I had that slip on an old motor once and ended up timed 10 degrees ATDC when I thought I was spot on. Caused all sorts of misses and SUPER hot exhaust.

Long story short, unless that 261 is defective I doubt changing cams is going to fix your issues.

andykrow,

Thank you for the fresh breath on 22RE engine building!

My DD software shows me what you are telling me your butt dyno is feeling.  THAT is why I decided on this cam for this engine and rebuild.  BUT... I did have some reservations.

I don't know how the harmonic balancer and the timing mark would slip on the pulley?  When I've checked #1 firing TDC, it's always been right on.

I'm pretty sure my stock exhaust manifold is creating some exhaust restriction and a DT header and 2.25" exhaust would be very noticeable.

My 22s have always had some rocker "tick", but its been the same balanced sound over the entire rocker rack.  And, when I have heard some excessive ticking, I have been able to do a valve lash adjustment and quiet them down to a more normal and even ticking sound.

Did you bore the block?

What sensors did replace, if any?

How many degrees is your total advance ignition timing?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein