Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396164 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #390 on: Oct 09, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
UPDATE 10-9-2016  Engine dropped into engine bay  :D

For those who may be interested…  :thumbs:

It felt good to finally drop that shiny little turd onto the motor mounts.  :gap:

HOW TO LOWER THE ENGINE ON THE MOTOR MOUNTS
Not having done it before, I learned something. After wrestling with it and the cherry picker for about 30 minutes, I realized it was not going to sit onto the two motor mount studs.  So I removed the driver’s side motor mount (two bolts and nuts) from the frame rail and attached it to the engine mount bracket already torqued down with the stud and nut.  That allowed me to easily maneuver the engine onto the motor mount stud on the passenger side. Once it landed on the stud, I was able wrestle it down onto the frame and get the front holes lined up enough to get the bolt and nut on. Then I had to use my floor jack to raise the back of the engine so I could get the other bolt and nut into the rear holes on the motor mount.  If I had to pull this engine again, I’d to the same thing, remove the two bolts on the driver’s side motor mount from the frame rail.

REPLACED JUST THE DRIVER’S SIDE MOTOR MOUNT
I had a new motor mount so I replaced the driver’s side only, since it’s the one that gets all the pulling torque.

HOME-MADE PILOT BEARING PULLER TOOL
I tried to rent a pilot bearing puller but could find one. I was not about to spend $80 to $200 for pilot bearing puller, so I made my one.  I took a 12mm bolt, longer would been way better.  With my Dremel tool cut off wheel I ground 4 slits in the end, then took Makita 4” grinder and rounded the end.  I packed the hole with wheel bearing grease and with my ball & thingy hammer, I hammered it in until it hit the end of crankshaft.  I hammered on the hex end away from the crankshaft but it was a very shallow angle because the hex head was too close to the bellhousing plate, but within about 5 minutes of tapping all around the hex head, the bearing came out!!!

BALANCED FLYWHEEL AND PRESSURE PLATE
The machine shop balanced the flywheel and the pressure plate together independent of the crankshaft.  You can see the drill marks.  They stamped marked the flywheel and pressure plate so I would get the balance lined up correctly..... but ... I almost forgot they did that!  :smack:

The balance bar I bought from Harbor Freight came in handy.

Now I get see if I can figure out where all those wires go!!!!  :clap:

Gnarls :spin:
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2016, 04:49:06 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein