Author Topic: I think I mistreated a Millennial...  (Read 1865 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think I mistreated a Millennial...
« on: Jun 27, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
I think I mistreated a Millennial on another forum, here's the story:

Background: I use a software, developed by a genuinely small company, that was relaunched at the beginning of the year using a completely different platform and as a result a lot of features from the previous version since they essentially started over.  I fully expect the functionality to be restored, but for now the forum contains a lot of complaining about the pace of upgrades.  There's a small group of volunteer developers that have put together some free extensions that are doing a great job of bridging the gap.  I was entertained today when I read what appeared to be complaining about the speed of development for the free extension(s).  The forum has been nothing but complaints about the lack of features and the speed of development since the new product was launched.  Here's some of the forum exchange:

Other User: What is the current version available on Safari?  Mine is 3.6 and has not updated in many, many weeks.  I understand that there is an approval process at Apple but this seems insanely long between updates.

Other User: Is each update subject to a multi-week review?  May force me over to Chrome.

Me: I guess it was bound to happen, but...complaining about the speed of updates to a free extension that is being developed for free is just plain millennial of you.

Developer: I didn't see it as a complaint, just a question.  (And, sidenote, as a millennial myself, can you not call people "millennial" in a derogatory way? There's no need for that.)

Me: I generally try to stay positive on forums, but couldn't pass on what appears to be very similar to the general complaining that the forum gets on a regular basis. I was entertained.  If it was intended only as a question I apologize.

As for the term "Millenial", I am sorry to associate you with the generalization that is attributed to the word. Like all generalizations, they contain truth while not being true about everyone.

You have to admit there is some irony in you asking me not to use the word "Millennial" in a negative way. It implies that it offends you in some way and "Millennials" are also generalized as an easily offended group that requires "safe zones" on college campuses.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: I think I mistreated a Millennial...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
Next time just thank him for reaffirming the stereotype, or tell the delicate little flower that, you know it isn't his fault he gets offended so easily, unlike his parents, yours raised you tolive in the real world.

When Howe and Strauss coined the term Millennial in 1991, the generation's oldest members were just 8yrs old at the time, and they could already tell this gen was going to be a bunch of whinny little biatches due to how they were being raised with so much more structure and protection then any generation that preceded them.   
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
They all need a :spankbutt:
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »
To keep the irony rolling in his (just a bigoted assumption because there's no other kind when it comes to gender) next response he explained that he didn't like Millennials being bashed as a group since he's included in that group solely based on his date of birth.  Since my intent was a humorous poke at the suspected complainer, I have not responded to further point out that Millennials are also known for identifying as part of a group.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
To keep the irony rolling in his (just a bigoted assumption because there's no other kind when it comes to gender) next response he explained that he didn't like Millennials being bashed as a group since he's included in that group solely based on his date of birth.  Since my intent was a humorous poke at the suspected complainer, I have not responded to further point out that Millennials are also known for identifying as part of a group.

Nothing sexist about "his", when gender is unknown, the grammatically correct term is he, his, him.

Don't hold back, point it out to him that only the type of millennial you are referring to would be offended by what you said, he wont learn any other way.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod