Author Topic: :)bestgen4runner's build page.  (Read 176600 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: :)bestgen4runner's build page.
« Reply #180 on: Oct 04, 2016, 01:10:05 AM »
Hope you're free the 22nd 👍

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:17:34 AM »

23rd?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #182 on: Oct 04, 2016, 06:29:42 AM »
Need to check front axle shafts (new style longs) and 25mm trunnion bearings  :turtle: tomorrow.

TG? Good luck!  :gap:

Time to go wheelin!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #183 on: Oct 04, 2016, 06:30:11 AM »
Time to go wheelin!

:)bestgen4runner [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »

No can do, Got plans for Tahuya on October 23rd. Lets Make Plans for December or January.
Maybe Bring your people up here? Come wheel with us? Then I will have to return the favor.

:inthedark:
I'm probably out........

:thumbdown: You can Do it Mark!  :therethere: I Can come over and help if you got the parts all ready.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #185 on: Oct 04, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
Trans has been shipped.............
Time to go wheelin!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
ETA before this weekend?
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #187 on: Oct 04, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
Tracking down the tracking number........

I may need to add a mount for the transmission.
Time to go wheelin!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
Final inspections completed. :qtip:
Finished checking front axle shafts (new style longs) and 25mm trunnion bearings. Short test drive over to my local gravel lot for some 4x4 operation tests.  :driving: Looks like she is still solid.  :burnout:
Stopped in at the Gas Station and Topped Her off with fuel.
All ready for Tahuya trip on the 23rd.  :yupyup:

Still managing to avoid the Trailgear curse SqWaDoosh and Mudmaster Keep putting on Me.  :nope:
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016, 07:59:56 PM by :)bestgen4runner »

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #189 on: Oct 05, 2016, 05:44:34 AM »
Still managing to avoid the Trailgear curse SqWaDoosh and Mudmaster Keep putting on Me.  :nope:

It's coming......

Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Oct 05, 2016, 06:20:19 AM »
It's coming......

Sure as the sun will shine  :nerv:

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,219
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #191 on: Oct 05, 2016, 06:23:10 AM »
Final inspections completed. :qtip:
Finished checking front axle shafts (new style longs) and 25mm trunnion bearings. Short test drive over to my local gravel lot for some 4x4 operation tests.  :driving: Looks like she is still solid.  :burnout:
Stopped in at the Gas Station and Topped Her off with fuel.
All ready for Tahuya trip on the 23rd.  :yupyup:

It appears you are doing a great job at prepping the truck.

I always spent extra time doing preparations before any trip and I had a paper check list.

Are you prepping for yourself?

For the month of October, I don’t know for sure what the climate conditions or trail terrain conditions are, but from what I’ve researched it looks like there may be some “mud”.

I’d make sure I have some insect repellent ( I HATE mosquitoes!!), good rain-gear, and enough changes of warm clothes and boots.  One of the last things I did as I prepped is make sure I have, in the cab of my truck, a roll of TP, paper towels, and a fresh leak-proof bottle of hand lotion to clean my hands from grease, gas, and dirt.  I also made sure I had a fresh set of batteries in my in-truck flashlight.  Of course now, I have to make sure I have my cell phone charger and cables.

I’ve been mudding a number of trail runs and wish I’d been smart enough to buy some of these:  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10482/Protective-Clothing-and-Accessories/Water-Resistant-Shoe-Covers-Size-12-15?pricode=WY759&gadtype=pla&id=S-10482&gclid=CNOigKLcw88CFVFffgodBlcEKw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Since I once locked myself out of my truck once while doing a trip to Death Valley, I now always have a spare key attached to my truck *accessible*  from outside of my locked truck.

Sounds like a really fun trip.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2016, 08:05:38 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:04:22 AM »
It appears you are doing a great job at prepping the truck.

I always spent extra time doing preparations before any trip and I had a paper check list.

Are you prepping for yourself?

For the month of October, I don’t know for sure what the climate conditions or trail terrain conditions are, but from what I’ve research it looks like there may be some “mud”.

I’d make sure I have some insect repellent ( I HATE mosquitoes!!), good rain-gear, and enough changes of warm clothes and boots.  One of the last things I did as I prepped is make sure I have, in the cab of my truck, a roll of TP, paper towels, and a fresh leak-proof bottle of hand lotion to clean my hands from grease, gas, and dirt.  I also made sure I had a fresh set of batteries in my in-truck flashlight.  Of course now, I have to make sure I have my cell phone charger and cables.

I’ve been mudding a number of trail runs and wish I’d been smart enough to buy some of these:  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10482/Protective-Clothing-and-Accessories/Water-Resistant-Shoe-Covers-Size-12-15?pricode=WY759&gadtype=pla&id=S-10482&gclid=CNOigKLcw88CFVFffgodBlcEKw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Since I once locked myself out of my truck once while doing a trip to Death Valley, I now always have a spare key attached to my truck *accessible*  from outside of my locked truck.

Sounds like a really fun trip.

Gnarls.

I like the check list Idea for both vehicle and prep Items. I had not thought of insect repellent, but with all I hear on the news lately it makes excellent sense. Great ideas Gnarls ! Thanks  :thumbs:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »
Sure as the sun will shine  :nerv:

It's coming......

For Your viewing pleasure. Lifetime forever Warranty, Just saying.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #194 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:44:31 AM »
I've heard of several nightmares with their "lifetime warranty".............

They stole this from RCV.
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Oct 05, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I dislike TG as much as the next  :turtle: guy, but really doubt you'll have any issues with their Longfield branded axles.  I have no doubt that RCV makes a superior product and is what I'd buy, but that doesn't mean that your should be expected to explode.  They are at least based on a fantastic design that has been modified with, what we all assume to be, profit over strength considerations.  They are likely made in China which can mean lower quality materials and possibly to less stringent tolerances.  The only documented difference from the RCV design that I think directly impacts the strength is the cage is the same material as the rest of the axle rather than 300M which is quite a bit stronger.  If you wheel smooth and smart I wouldn't anticipate any issues with your current setup.

As a side note, I have a stereo tube amplifier that is "Made in China" but uses parts sourced from Japan.  There's a lot of junk audio equipment that's is made in China, but not all of it is junk.  It is possible to get "Made in China" products that use reasonable quality materials though they are not known for the quality of their steel.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #196 on: Oct 05, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
Lucky during the winching that nobody was hurt. Walking over the cables while they are moving and standing downhill of the truck while it's being pulled. I ain't a safety nazi but flopp common sense went out the window for awhile there.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Oct 05, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
I 100% agree. If you note during the video I mention exactly that.
I made sure My boys were way away and I stood back and filmed.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #198 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »
Too many chiefs was the main issue!
Time to go wheelin!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
 :driving: Took Sunday off from wrenching to Get in some wheeling with My good friend Blackdiamond.
Day trip to Tahuya without the trailer again. Driving The 4runner on the freeway at 60mph is just dangerous, period. I think this will be the last time without the trailer. Its just not safe.
The DIY beadlocks shake the wheel horribly at 35 to 40mph. The unbalanced long spline rear driveshaft vibrates at 55+ noticeable.
Then comes the extremely soft springs and shocks without any form of anti sway. A few times we had the pleasure of tire shake, driveline vibration, side to side action of the suspension, all at the same time. talk about pucker factor. She is the true definition of a Trailer Queen.
  :hammerhead: Yeah, I know it was dumb to do it. But We survived, and Carson slept most of the drive there and most of the ride home.

Wheeling was fun with no carnage to speak of. I did overheat My ARB air compressor inflating My tires and then Blackdiamond's without enough cool down time. Tripped the thermal protection.  :smack: We found a solution placing ice cubes on it one after another.  :think: They melted to nothing Fast. Worked great.

I let Carson wheel the truck for about an hour and a half on the easy stuff. He did well, Just need to work on over steering.
Poor Kid was so nervous he was sweating and shaking.  :scared:
Overall it was an easy fun trip. I will say that Yellow Jacket is a completely different animal when its wet and muddy. Much more challenging.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 12:59:34 PM by :)bestgen4runner »

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »

:driving: Took Sunday off from wrenching to Get in some wheeling with My good friend Blackdiamond.
Day trip to Tahuya without the trailer again. Driving The 4runner on the freeway at 60mph is just dangerous, period. I think this will be the last time without the trailer. Its just not safe.
The DIY beadlocks shake the wheel horribly at 35 to 40mph. The unbalanced long spline rear driveshaft vibrates at 55+ noticeable.
Then comes the extremely soft springs and shocks without any form of anti sway. A few times we had the pleasure of tire shake, driveline vibration, side to side action of the suspension, all at the same time. talk about pucker factor. She is the true definition of a Trailer Queen.
  :hammerhead: Yeah, I know it was dumb to do it. But We survived, and Carson slept most of the drive there and most of the ride home.

Wheeling was fun with no carnage to speak of. I did overheat My ARB air compressor inflating My tires and then Blackdiamond's without enough cool down time. Tripped the thermal protection.  :smack: We found a solution placing ice cubes on it one after another.  :think: They melted to nothing Fast. Worked great.

I let Carson wheel the truck for about an hour and a half on the easy stuff. He did well, Just need to work on over steering.
Poor Kid was so nervous he was sweating and shaking.  :scared:
Overall it was an easy fun trip. I will say that Yellow Jacket is a completely different animal when its wet and muddy. Much more challenging.

Man, I just love the grey 4runners  :yupyup:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »

Man, I just love the grey 4runners  :yupyup:

Well I have to say I agree with You 100%
They are the Best of the best!   :rockingout:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #202 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »
I guess yours is more of a queen than mine  :stopit:
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #203 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Not trying to be a donkeys rear end here, but it seems you could fix the vibration issues and keep it a good driver to the trail.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
Not trying to be a donkeys rear end here, but it seems you could fix the vibration issues and keep it a good driver to the trail.

He likes driving his F-350 too much.  :yupyup:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #205 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
Can't say much there, if im going over about 50 miles to wheel ill load one on the trailer as well lol
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #206 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
All these spoiled people with multiple trucks (tow'er and tow'ee) ................

:smack:

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #207 on: Oct 24, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »
I prefer a nice turd brown toyota  :psss: but to each their own. Slackers 2nd gen is going to be beautiful! Enough of my aimless rambling.

When do you plan to do a 3rz swap and a hair dryer on it?
06 tacoma street truck

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Oct 24, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
i disagree 100%

There's a different thread for people that are wrong. This isn't the place...

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #209 on: Oct 25, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »
There's a different thread for people that are wrong. This isn't the place...

:rofl2:
Time to go wheelin!