Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 564843 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Check with Firestone about Lifetime Alignments.

If discount kicked you off the rack, its because the tech is a whiney bytch.
Job pays the same.  :rolleyes:
Thank you for the suggestion gnob. I actually first tried our local Firestone shop and they unfortunately did not have adapters large enough to mount their equipment to my beadlocks. I've received a suggestion from a local customer to try a locally owner shop in Clovis, https://macstirepros.com, which I'm gonna give a shot :thumbs: I've driven past this business many times and recall seeing lifted trucks there so it should be a good choice. For example, lifted pavement pounders present on Google street view: https://goo.gl/maps/guHqVetJqQk9gPrNA

:drooling: will this work on a 05 Tacoma? :hammer:
Yes sir! 4cyl or 6cyl of any 4WD trim.

Great work Mike. Truly impressive.
Thank you Max!

The lower control arm you designed,  how does the lower coilover mount position compare to the standard lower arm lower coilover mount position?
You, always with the good observations ;) Yes, the mount is higher, however, I am hoping that for those already running 7" to 8" coilovers will be able to reuse them based on the following:
1) If you're interested in RCLT then it's because you're looking to run 35" or taller tires, and
2) If you're running 35" or taller tires with LT already then your coils are likely cranked down a bit to gain sufficient lift for 35" or taller tires, and finally
3) Hopefully your same LT coilovers can be reused by adjusting their upper coil perch up most of the way.

For example, the upper perches of my old 7.75" Fox coilovers were cranked down 2.2" from the top which means I could have reused them without any issues by raising each perch. In fact, in CAD I actually used the specs for my Fox coilovers (P/N 880-02-953) when designing RCLT. This was fine and dandy but I cannot tell in CAD how much actual lift this is unless I had the entire truck drawn up.

So when I had Radflo make my coilovers, I gave them RCLT's minimum compressed length and requested to make as long of a shock stroke as possible with that minimum shock length. A major added benefit of RCLT's lower shock mount placement is that the distance under the coil can be very short without interfering with the axle shaft -- because the axle shaft at times is actually below the lower shock mount!! -- something that is not possible without an angled LCA. So RCLT allows for a very short lower eyelet mount under the coil which conserves space to have a longer stroke shock.

Side note: I was originally planning to reuse my same Fox coilovers and switch to shorter lower eyelets, but when we became a Radflo distributor it was a no brainer to work direct with a manufacture and get everything updated in one shot.

For reference, my old Fox shocks are advertised to have a stroke of 7.715-inch, yet my new Radflos are about an inch shorter overall yet have a longer stroke at 7.87-inch. win-win :beerchug:

TL;DR:
RCLT allows the use of very short lower eyelet mounts which frees up shock stroke length for improved downtravel.
This is not required but is an added bonus of RCLT's design (this isn't possible on say a Total Chaos kit because the coil spring will interfere with the axle shaft).

Optional: You can swap your existing LT coilover lower eyelet mounts by just ordering the appropriate mfg's shorter lower eyelet parts, such as this shoter Fox version from Poly: https://www.polyperformance.com/fox-7-8-coilover-shock-shaft-eyelet

I'll have more to discuss about front coilover specs later :yesnod:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki