Author Topic: HELP! 1984 toyota 22r 4 cylinder truck bucks when started, misfires, stalls, ect  (Read 1536 times)

opster

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
a couple weeks ago I was having fuel pump problems. So I decided the install an electric pump in my engine compartment, with a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Connecting the fuel inlet hose to the electric pump and the outlet fuel line to the original manual fuel pump, which I took the manual arm out of the manual pump and ran the electric pump thru the old pump to the carb. Its been a couple weeks since I did that. suddenly my Toyota started having problems. driving on the freeway it started to seem to be misfiring, and wanting to stall. when I stopped to check it out and restarted the truck, it was bucking at idle, running rich and wanting to stall out.  I pulled the spark plug wires off and reattached them. it seemed to work after that. but then it started again. So I decided to start by replacing spark plug wires. it did not help. I also replaced distributer cap, did not help. Then I replaced the ignition coil, it did not help. I then check spark in the plug wires and its conductivity and it checked out good. I then pulled the spark plugs and found that all four where showing server signs of running rich. With black, dry, silt covering the spark plugs from the tip to and onto the treads. the symptoms all point to the egr valve. I was wondering if perhaps the problem may be the electric fuel pump?  Hoping for some input before replacing erg and checking for vacuum leaks.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
a couple weeks ago I was having fuel pump problems. So I decided the install an electric pump in my engine compartment, with a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Connecting the fuel inlet hose to the electric pump and the outlet fuel line to the original manual fuel pump, which I took the manual arm out of the manual pump and ran the electric pump thru the old pump to the carb. Its been a couple weeks since I did that. suddenly my Toyota started having problems. driving on the freeway it started to seem to be misfiring, and wanting to stall. when I stopped to check it out and restarted the truck, it was bucking at idle, running rich and wanting to stall out.  I pulled the spark plug wires off and reattached them. it seemed to work after that. but then it started again. So I decided to start by replacing spark plug wires. it did not help. I also replaced distributer cap, did not help. Then I replaced the ignition coil, it did not help. I then check spark in the plug wires and its conductivity and it checked out good. I then pulled the spark plugs and found that all four where showing server signs of running rich. With black, dry, silt covering the spark plugs from the tip to and onto the treads. the symptoms all point to the egr valve. I was wondering if perhaps the problem may be the electric fuel pump?  Hoping for some input before replacing erg and checking for vacuum leaks.

I would either put a new old style fuel pump back in. or install pressure regulator
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
I was thinking the same thing Dave. Sounds like too much pressure. A regulator should solve this or just go back to what toyota intended.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i