Author Topic: Painting a 94 pickup, what color was the Toyota on the tailgate?  (Read 3768 times)

PhantomD aka Zach

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 210
  • Member since Jun '09
  • Needs more garage space!
    • View Profile
I am painting my 94 sr5 pickup white, I want to have the correct "toyota" color text on the back. All the pictures I can find look both blue or silver, can anyone help.

I will be buying from here:
http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/1994.htm

Options for the tailgate text are:
Blue
Silver
Green on white
Green on black

3rd Gen Extra Cab, Dual Cases, E-Lockers

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
have the dealership run your VIN and they can tell you exactly what color it was......

I recently had an issue with my 96 dodge van, went to the dealership, and they decoded my vin, I have a 4 page printout of everything on my van.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
What color is the interior, blue or grey?  The side stripes and tailgate logo usually matched the interior color.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

PhantomD aka Zach [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
My interior is blue.

I guess I need to see either some pictures of white 3rd gen truck tailgates or some with my own two eyes. I fear that I will hate the blue

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
My interior is blue.

I guess I need to see either some pictures of white 3rd gen truck tailgates or some with my own two eyes. I fear that I will hate the blue

From google

If you aren't doing the stock side stripes, or don't have any other blue on the truck, silver would be my choice. 

Another option would be to have the shop paint them in the color you prefer, or ghost them, tinted in the oem color, before they put the clear on.  You could also have them printed up by a vinyl wrap company in just about any color or pattern you want.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

PhantomD aka Zach [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
I will be painting the truck myself in a garage, and I lack any ghosting skills, mush less actual painting skills.

The other issue is that the sr5 trucks have a different and larger logo on the back. There are swoopy stripes with the Toyota in the corner. I really like the blue in that picture though, maybe I will just give it a shot and see what it looks like.

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yea it was blue on almost all the white trucks. Cant recall maybe you'll find a grey or black on white . But blue is the to go . Just my :twocents: And if you are painting the truck yourself that's actually a good call with the stripes to draw your eye from any inperfections. Lot of people don't like the stripes but I didn't want to paint my truck until I could find a new set. I've seen people selling new old stock stripes maybe a single side but never a full set. :thumbs: Never came across that site before. Very cool :thumbs:

PhantomD aka Zach [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
I think I will be going with blue. I took a close look at my green tailgate and the text and stripe is silver.

The problem with all the online pictures is that none of them are the SR5 stripe on the back, they are all just the plain Toyota symbol.

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hopefully this will help. I believe the very last pickup option on the link you have is for the Sr5 graphics. Glady get you any more pictures if you need them

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Some pics from craigslist.

Also, not all SR5's had the big stripe across the back, this '89-90 style is also available through Jamesdean, along with some others.