Author Topic: Leaking differential fluid and strange jerk from rear end when letting off gas  (Read 3368 times)

Justin88yota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Alright guys I'm kinda new here so I've got a "88 with 31x10.50s on steel billet 15s nothing fancy..about two to three inches of lift I have replaced all front end parts in the steering excepts control arms and upper ball joints(still on the to do list) changed differential fluid when needed always kept good maintenance up on it just had the motor recently rebuild and balanced..everything seems to be in tip top shape then I get this jerking feeling when I let off the gas like my rear end has slack.and about a year ago I replaced my outer pinion seal on the rear no problem at all and now it's leaking again....and the driveshaft has about maybe an inch of play while spinning but no up and down or side to side movement but I am worried about the spinning distance I have while in neutral any suggestions would be very appreciative I just wanna try and figure out what's going on so I can move towards the problem and getting it fixed.also I believe the ring gear is 7.5 if that may help.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
if this is a 4wd truck the rear end should be an 8" differential.  Do you have a locker in the differential?  How many miles on the truck (differential in particular) If i had to guess i would think maybe the pinion nut backed off which would cause some problems.  I would pull the driveshaft and see if the flange pinion nut is tight.  I would also drain fluid and check the oil quality.  You might need to pull the rear differential to inspect/replace it. 

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
what about the crush sleeve?

the front diff is a 7.5" the rear is an 8"
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Justin88yota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yeah it is a 4 wheel drive I checked my fluid last night and it was lookin pretty good.if I was to look into rebuilding the rear diff carrier bearings and seals or just puttin a complete carrier back in...

Ps. How do I add a dang picture on here it's drivin me crazy

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
what gear ratio are you running?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Justin88yota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
4.88 ratio in the rear

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
you maybe able to find one in a junkyard, your looking for a g144 code in the door jam.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Most people upload their photos to photobucket and then post the "[img]" link here