Author Topic: locker install  (Read 3616 times)

tallboy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
locker install
« on: Mar 12, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
hey guys...I was thinking about  installing a grizzly locker in my front axle (8"). Last year I had new 5.29's installed so it has new bearings. My question is then if I install the locker I believe all I would have to do is replace the crush sleeve. Is there a standard crush sleeve length? Is that the only  part to replace?

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Re: locker install
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
You should have no reason to pull the pinion out at all. 

You should be able to basically swap the ring gear and bearings onto the new locker.  Then reset backlash to whatever it was set to previously.

tallboy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
thanks...I'll get the hang of this someday

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
For the front why not go with an Aussie "lunchbox" style locker?  Should be an easier swap and cost less. I don't really know of a major downside in the front.  There is a lunchbox "cousin" to the Grizzly, I think.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »
They are not as strong
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Joeybfj40

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
I had an Aussie locker in a FJ40 front housing running 39" Pitbull Maddogs for many years. Never busted the locker.
Sold the FJ40. NewRig: 1982 ToyotaHilux,5:29,elock rear taco,ARB front,stock duals,AllPro 4"springs,35'tires,Davez 22RE,BobbyLong 30's and 5th stud, custom built bumpers and sliders, winch, bobbed,tagged historic

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
They are not as strong

I can't argue the lunchbox strength vs. a full locker, but my Aussie has performed flawlessly (famous last words...) for me.

It has been a long time since I did the research, but I remember people having secondary Detroit Locker damage in the event of a front axle break in Toyota front ends. This didn't seem to be the case with the Aussie Locker, nobody was really breaking them at that point, so I went that way.  I would assume that the Grizzly Locker might be enough like the Detroit Locker to have the same concern/results.  Any issue wasn't a strength issue as my Detroit has been great in the rear, it just seemed to be an odd loading.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
I can't argue the lunchbox strength vs. a full locker, but my Aussie has performed flawlessly (famous last words...) for me.

It has been a long time since I did the research, but I remember people having secondary Detroit Locker damage in the event of a front axle break in Toyota front ends. This didn't seem to be the case with the Aussie Locker, nobody was really breaking them at that point, so I went that way.  I would assume that the Grizzly Locker might be enough like the Detroit Locker to have the same concern/results.  Any issue wasn't a strength issue as my Detroit has been great in the rear, it just seemed to be an odd loading.

The Aussie will do the same thing. The shock load will break the pins or break before the axle does.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
The Aussie will do the same thing. The shock load will break the pins or break before the axle does.

Maybe so. It just seemed to be a pretty specific issue with Detroit Lockers in the front of Toyotas. I could have completely misread the experiences/observations or mistaken a correlation for a causation, but it was why I made the choice that I did. The reduced cost wasn't a consideration when I chose my lockers. It certainly would t be the first good decision made for the wrong reason I have made.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
Maybe so. It just seemed to be a pretty specific issue with Detroit Lockers in the front of Toyotas. I could have completely misread the experiences/observations or mistaken a correlation for a causation, but it was why I made the choice that I did. The reduced cost wasn't a consideration when I chose my lockers. It certainly would t be the first good decision made for the wrong reason I have made.
It is an issue with almost all axles. The recoil of the axle breaking does a number on drivetrain parts. I have seen quite a few axles break with no damage at all though other than. The axle/joint
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11