Author Topic: 97 4Runner 3.4 miss fire codes on all cylinders  (Read 3023 times)

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
97 4Runner 3.4 miss fire codes on all cylinders
« on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Helping a friend out this weekend we started off with a code that said cam sensor malfunction. Got that squared away start it back up runs for 5-6 minutes till the cel light comes on again. it is saying it has a misfire on all cylinders. Any ideas on a direction we should go in? I was thinking the gas could be bad but was told it's a few months old. Thanks for the help.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Have you looked at a couple spark plugs,I would start with a basic tune up, also , as a good maintenance tip, if it has over 100k on it, I would clean the injectors
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Have you looked at a couple spark plugs,I would start with a basic tune up, also , as a good maintenance tip, if it has over 100k on it, I would clean the injectors

It has injectors that are only a few months old change the plugs and wires hoping it would help but no luck

63W [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well worked on this a little more went threw and made sure no electrical connectors were undone. Started it and still has the same codes! Smells to me like it's running lean and has a funky smell to the exhaust, would that have to do with the cat?

87toyotaman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Experiencing some missfire issues on my 97 found my 1st O2 sensor before the cat was bad. You might look into testing them? A bad O2 will tell the ECM all kind of goofy stuff. My cylinder 4 missfire code is being thrown I believe it's the #4 injector.
87 Turd with a lot of gadgets glued on

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 606
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
Check timing. If it's throwing a p0300 random misfired on all cylinder, timing might have jumped. I seen it before with this code.
Going, going, gone

87toyotaman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Sorry for a such late reply but thanks for the heads up I will check that out also. My girls been driving the runner every day now and ever since its gotten really cold out our misfiring issue has completely disappeared. She's put 2-3,000 on it with not even a hiccup. All I can say is I ran premium with Berryman's fuel treatment for a few tanks. I spoke with my local smog guy and he said the warm weather does a number on our injectors, not sure why. But to this day she's still running strong, thanks guys.

87toyotaman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
My bad thought this was on the thread I started awhile back  :smack: