Poll

Whish me luck

Easy?
4 (80%)
Hard?
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Going to Big Bear to run the Jhon Bull trail for the 1st time  (Read 2503 times)

dirtys82yota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I will post Pic's of the run next week. This is my first time out with my truck so My body who has been doing this for years and owns a 79 Toyota is going to be schooling me in the finner point of wheeling. Wish me luck. :biggthumpup:
This is my 1982 Toyota that I recently purchased after coming back from overseas. Right know I am slowly adding to it to make it a good rock crawler but it will take time.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
good luck :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

dirtys82yota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I meant my buddy not body. :hammerhead:
This is my 1982 Toyota that I recently purchased after coming back from overseas. Right know I am slowly adding to it to make it a good rock crawler but it will take time.

HACKJOB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Aint this some bull s#$%
    • View Profile
Hey dirt bag can I have your bike if you kick the bucket?

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Have fun, weather is getting real nice up there.  I started John Bull last fall and one of the trucks with me broke so we didn't finsih.  We didn't even make it a third of the way.  It took so long to fix the other rig it was dark so we came back down the way we started.  The guys with me came up from San Diego.  We started John Bull late because we already did 2 other trails in Big Bear that day.

Its not that bad.  I was doing fine with IFS 31s locked both ends.  As we stood there fixing my friends rig a stock Jeep Rubicon came thru.  He did great, this old dude and his dog.  He dragged frame and suspension parts in some areas but came thru fine.  But some poser scouting the trail on foot, he had a Lifted new wrangler with 33s, got scared off by my friends broken rig and turned around before the trail started.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
Jeep guys......Maybe his jeep was not Trail Rated????    :hahaha:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

Wraith

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Bulls fun but not very hard, I've run it a bunch in my pickup when it was open f/r, if your rig is built at all it's no problem. I prefer holcomb creek but that just because I like the rock garden on the west end of the trail. Have fun and take some pics!!!
"Why yes I am an extremist, thank you for noticing" Ted Nugent
"There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" Einstein

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Holcomb is fun.  Mostly pretty easy but that rock garden can be fun without lockers.  We did it the night before John Bull.  Did the rock garden at night using flashlights.  That made it even more fun.

You can do a few of these trails in one day.  They are close enough to each other.

I bet its a lot wetter than when I did them last.  Might make it more interesting.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
Have fun, its a fun trail. I did it in a stock ifs 95 yota on 31's. Got one dent. It was easier the next time after I welded the front end.  :biggthumpup: Went threw there when my truck was open on both ends on 31's and this sorry Jeep couldn't make it over one of the obsticale's and had to turn back :shake:  :joke: , good times :beerchug:

BuildingToys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling
    • View Profile
diritys82yoata was on point leading the trial until the good sumaratin took over.  One of our crew in a well built (83 jeep) diceded to aid some lost LA residents (in stocck rigs with no recovery equiptment) and needed every thing we had to just save him self and get off the mountain. We turned back and jumped in.

list of broken parts
JEEP
Long side front  :_oops: Axale shafts
Driver Side Leaf Springs
front Trutrack
driver side tire

Toyota
Engine Mounts

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
Hey dirt bag can I have your bike if you kick the bucket?
I don't have a bike :dunno: ??? :confused: