Author Topic: Drive Shaft U-Joint Chatter??  (Read 14659 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Shaft U-Joint Chatter??
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
Check your speedo gear in the tcase.  See if it's stripped out.

Would that make a noise?
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
Update:

I jacked up the front to check wheel bearings.  I am not getting the 'jiggle' when pushing the tires in/out, up/down, etc.

But my driver front tire is way too hard to 'spin'.  I recently (few months ago) did the V6 Caliper upgrade using  1 1/4" Spacers.

I am thinking it is just coincendental nad not related the my OP noise.

Only thing I can think of that would cause that much drag is too much pre-load or the calipers rubbing on the discs.

Hopefully when i have a few hours tomorrow I'll figure out what is wrong with the wheel so I can get back to figureing out my original problem.

If it's not one thing, ints another  :D :D :D

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
Any update to this? I have a very similar set and similar noise, and have done much of the same troubleshooting. Just hoping to avoid ponying up for the CV rear shaft but all signs are point to that..
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
Sry.

I replaced a messed up u-joint in the rear shaft at the differnetial.  It was garbage, one post was ground down insanely, another had the roller bearing completely disintegrated.

After replacing the u-joint and putting the shaft back in everything feels/sounds fine now.

I have to imagine that is what the problem was. 

Not positive, but I am not complaining either since it appears to be fixed.  Wish I knew for certain, but since after replacing ujoint and reinstalling shaft sysmptoms disappeared, that 'must' have been the issue.

Good luck on figuring out what your issue is.  Hopefully just a u-joint like me.  Cheap and easy fix ;)

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #34 on: Sep 17, 2015, 04:22:40 PM »
Cool. Good to know that fixed your problem.

At the recommendation of the Marlin boys I ordered up a 85 front DS that is now getting lengthened. I didn't realize you already had a CV shaft. I have a shortened stock DS (non-cv) in there right now.

Of course, idiot me, i tried to feel for ujoint play while the DS was attached and felt nothing. The thing was TOTALLY solid. After I pulled it to get a precise measurement i noticed the u-joint and the slip yoke both have play. Lesson learned. Sooo... since the CV shaft is getting worked on I'm going to go with it. But I may also tighten up the old shaft and see if the rig runs smooth with it.

It would be interesting to see if a 4runner with dual cases and around 6-7 inches of lift can be vibration-free without a CV DS. I'm guessing no, judging by the amount of people, including MC guys, that say the CV is crucial.
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
Guessing when you say CV you mean the Double-Cardon Joint or the "H-Yoke".  I do have one in the rear shaft at the case.  IU just can't believe swapping the u-joint fixed the issue.  Seemed like crazy driveline nonsense going on.  But hey, right now it aint broke  :crossed: :crossed: :crossed: so not gonna try and fix it, if you know what I mean ;)

Glad you getting your situation figured out.  I really didn't wanna have to get a new DS and DC/H Yoke.  Not the sheapest part in my book.

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
Yeah I do mean a double cardan. I'm having one built right now off of the joint from a front driveshaft off an 85. A bit cheaper than just getting a totally custom build. Next step will be to see if i need to notch the horsecollar to get it to fit, but a lot of people don't seem to need to do this with the 85 4runners.

I wish I had recorded the sound while it was happening. Definitely a distinct chatter from floating the throttle (it would happen between shifts at higher speeds) and another similar chatter that would happen when decelerating (worse in neutral or with clutch in). Hopefully one noise from the sloppy u-joint (the one at the t-case flange) and then the other noise from the slip yoke play. Noise was very random and chattery if that makes sense, not like a typical steady vibration. Almost like a loose exhaust part.

The plan here is to have a 4runner with 35s and dual cases that actually likes doing 75 on the freeway. The chatter was enough to keep me from going over 60..

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 02, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »
I can go 75, but I prefer to stay at 45, LOL!!!

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
Haha I prefer to stay at 45 as well, but that makes Moab a lonnnng ways out ;)

Anyway new cv is in. Nearly all noises are gone except for the coasting/decel sound. It seems to be way way less than it was. Although it could have been multiple sounds since the old driveshaft had a bad ujoint and play in the splines.

I'm waiting on some 10 deg shims to get my angles totally perfect. I have 8 deg in there now but I have some highway vibes due to that being off.

Quite possible the sound is just gear noise and nothing more. I am lacking carpet.

Couple side notes - I did need to notch the horse collar to get the cv to not rub. It looked fine but under heavy torque it made contact. Also, the driveshaft I bought "seemed" to have no play when I picked it up from the yard, but after my driveshaft guy cleaned it there was massive play in the splines and a bad ujoint. Go figure.

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #39 on: Oct 12, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
Just re-read that. "Crazy driveshaft nonsense." Haha I would DEFINITELY say mine had that happening. The nonsense is now gone and I'm just chasing down some minor stuff (that I can live with if it can't be fixed..) But yeah one of my ujoints was trashed, and that can clearly make your driveline sound like its about to explode.