Author Topic: New member coming from the rust belt! (central IA)  (Read 941 times)

foolish farmer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New member coming from the rust belt! (central IA)
« on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
Howdy all, been lurking in the shadows of this forum for awhile researching whether I wanted to build a Toyota as my next truck and what I wanted to find if I did. Not feeling like pursuing an SAS (I'm a Chevy guy so they're familiar) I figured if the right deal came up I'd buy solid axle Toy.

Well fast forward to this past Friday I drove to Illinois to pick up my new project truck= 1981 regular cab 4x4 22R/5 speed. It has been sitting for 10 years and was told the tranny and starter had issues when parked.  Loaded it up and drug it to a friends place about a 10 miles away to more closely inspect my new prize. After putting in a new starter that ended up being ok because of a bad cable I didn't notice  :hammerhead: and a bit of gas in the carb it fired right to life!

Running on 10 year old gas it couldn't have ran any better even with the broken EGR tube sucking air. Replaced the thermostat and coolant then changed the engine oil, topped off the brake fluid to make it safe to drive. While running it had great oil pressure and was charging well at 14.5 volts.

The transmission shifter had been pulled out so I stuck it back in and on jack stands gears 1-4 worked flawlessly while 5th and reverse don't work at all. Took it off stands and pushed it outside and drove for a few miles before plugging the fuel filter. Changed it out and drove it back to put on the trailer for the trip home.

Now the turn for the worst,  :mad:  when cranking it up to drive off the trailer I noticed a loud tick. Once the engine started I had a dead cylinder and the tick was even more pronounced.  Removed the valve cover and found the #2 intake valve rocker broken and the exhaust rocker had slid backwards on the shaft and was hitting the intake lobe and not pressing on the exhaust valve stem. True moving the intake valve with a hammer and found it had to be heated down and would not return.

Just got off the phone with the local salvage yard owner who I'm in good with and will he going to acquire a 1995 22RE, wiring harness, W56, and transfer case this weekend for only $600 with only 112,000 miles on it. This truck will be driven to and from the trail head and I will start a build thread at some point in the not to distant future. 

Thanks for listening to my long winded greeting! :welcome:

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Welcome.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
:welcome:  II :turtle:  good luck on you build!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you