Author Topic: 1985 4Runner Brake Upgrade 'How To' wanted.  (Read 4412 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1985 4Runner Brake Upgrade 'How To' wanted.
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Just wondering if anybody has an easy to follow 'how to' for upgrading 85 4Runner calipers to V6 with Vented Rotors.

One of my pistons is frozen and has annihilated a pad and rotor.  Since I need to replace a caliper I figure I may as well do the V6 upgrade.

From what I can tell I'll need V6 Calipers, FJ60 Rotors, and spacers (I'd rather not grind the calipers down).

Can I get confirmation that is all I'll need?

Is there anyway to determine what size spacers I will need ahead of time?

And, when I install the spacers i'm guessing my front tires are gonna be wider than rear.  Any problems with that I should know about.

Thanks guys,
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 4Runner Brake Upgrade 'How To' wanted.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
And with spacers I am assuming I will need longer hub studs.  Is that right?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
I'm also debating just putting stock calipers and rotors on, and doing a Booster/MC upgrade first, and then if I feel I really need the caliper/rotor upgrade doing that.

It's just since I know I need to buy calipers I can't imagine not doing the V6 upgrade now.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
You don't need longer wheel studs to mount wheel spacers. They just bolt onto your factory studs. Just make sure to use lock tight. I had one of mine come off while going 50. I noticed the biggest difference when I changed to a dual diaphragm booster. But it was the last peice off the brake upgrade that I did.
- FJ60 rotors
- V6 calipers
- FJ80 Master cylinder
- FJ 80 dual diaphragm booster
In that order. I daily drove it for at least a month between each upgrade.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »
You don't need longer wheel studs to mount wheel spacers. They just bolt onto your factory studs. Just make sure to use lock tight. I had one of mine come off while going 50. I noticed the biggest difference when I changed to a dual diaphragm booster. But it was the last peice off the brake upgrade that I did.
- FJ60 rotors
- V6 calipers
- FJ80 Master cylinder
- FJ 80 dual diaphragm booster
In that order. I daily drove it for at least a month between each upgrade.

Cool, doing it in stages is nice, I like that idea.

What about the width of the wheel spacers?  I've been reading I will prob need 3/4" - 1" spacers for the V6 Calipers to fit.  I got the basic 15" Black Steel Wheels.  I don't wanna get everything tore down and not have the spacers if it turns out I will need them for clearence.

Opinions on OEM vs Aftermarket for the Callipers and Rotors?

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »
Measure your studs and you'll know how thick the spacers need to be.  As for calipers, we have a well reputed local brake/alignment shop we deal with through work.  I told him I wanted the best quality rebuilt calipers possible and he instantly knew where to get some good ones.  They weren't super expensive, but I did get a buddy deal on em.  I do know he said they were special order, and oddly enough he got them through autozone.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Ev87We4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Like everyone else said, the spacers are only needed in 2 instances. 1) if u have a straight axle swapped truck 86 or newer, and u want the track width to be the same. (Rear axle is 3" wider on 86-newer)Or more importantly 2) u may need them because your wheels might interfere with the caliper. Not all wheels will hit so you can probably test fit it first. If you do end up needing spacers, buy ones that have their own studs and use new lug nuts to bolt them on
I had one set of steel wagon wheels that interfered and another set of steel wheels with D shaped holes and they didn't hit at all.

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
I got the D-Shaped also.  Guess I just need to dive in get the calipers and rotors and see what happens

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
Looks like I need 1" spacers.  Current studs are 1" outside of hub and the wheel is hitting the caliper :(

Thought I would have everything done in 1 day, oh well.  Hopefully shipping won't take too long.

Anybody have good or bad experience with a specific spacer company? 

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
And her is the damage from the frozen caliper

jssgbsn [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
Spacers came in but they do not slide over the hub body.

Customer service for the place I order from has to call the vendor, but cant until Monday cause they close at 2pm on Fridays.

I just want my wheels back on  :shake_head: :shake_head: :shake_head: