Author Topic: Anyone upsize there exhaust?  (Read 3074 times)

Hurricaneinmotion

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since May '12
  • Stuck in the desert
    • View Profile
Anyone upsize there exhaust?
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
What are the benefits Of upsizing your exhaust? To 2 1/4" 
We make a living by what we get, We make a life by what we give.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone upsize there exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »
It depends on what other engine upgrades you have.

The more air you can breathe out (larger exhaust lines) the more air you can inhale (air intake manifold).  The more air you can get in the more HP you have the potential to gain, as long as you can (exhaust) get rid of that air efficiently.

I don't think picking a single component has done anyting good (in general).

Why are you asing about exhaust?
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

Hurricaneinmotion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since May '12
  • Stuck in the desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Going to replace muffler anyway but also adding headers. Just wanting to know if these items will give a little more power. Next mod is a weber carb. I am sure that will help with power.
We make a living by what we get, We make a life by what we give.

zebracrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -162
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Nov '10
  • mm yep looks broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
headers made a big difference on my 22r. I couldn't pull some hills in 4 th then could pull the hills after i got the header and i did a 2in id exhaust all the way out, lc header, no cat and hi flow muffler.
sas 85 2wd dual cases locked rear 35s
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=81775.0

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »
REMEMBER you only flow as well as the smallest hole will let you! So if you have 2 1/4 exhaust, but your intake has a 2" inlet... your only gonna flow at the 2" rate..   as much as the smallest hole will allow..  get yourself an offy intake manifold ;) that spice things up
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

alaskanrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 75
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:13:48 AM »
I have never done an exhaust for a toyota but sizing the exhaust on N/A motors is pretty tricky. In general, the larger the tubing, the slower your exhaust flows through it. Too big can actually cost you torque, and as far as I know the only real way to find out is to dyno the thing before and after you put on the exhaust. If I was going to go through the effort, I would try to duplicate somebody else's dyno proven design.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
if you want any difference other than being slower (off the line anyway for sure) and louder.. you should do the entire intake/system... Im just saying the difference youll notice for the cost of money will not be owrth it if you dont go all the way.  thats my opinion. I have had over 20 diffferent vehicles.. Unless it had a turbo on it or revved up to the moon the simple piping or cat back system just really makes you noisy.. REmember you only flow as well as the smallest hole will allow.  That means your maf too.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

zebracrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -162
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Nov '10
  • mm yep looks broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
well i agree that things can only flow as good as the smallest point but that only works in the intake or exhaust because the when fuel and air combust in the combustion chamber it creates more gas that has to be pushed out the exhaust this is why you see a 3 in inlet on diesels and a 4 in exhaust. It will help with a cat back might not be much but it does cause restriction. for example go blow in a pvc pipe that is one inch then go blow in a 2 inch it is much easer
sas 85 2wd dual cases locked rear 35s
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=81775.0

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
It would be like blowing into a 2" pipe with a 1.25" inlet

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Next mod is a weber carb. I am sure that will help with power.

Oh lawd, another one!  Don't.  Waste.  Your.  Time!  Or, if you're dead set on it, don't buy a 32/36 turd.  I wouldn't give mine to somebody I hate!

And yes, adding bigger exhaust helps.  Keep in mind, though, there is no golden rule or size you have to run to obtain X power characteristic.  Many people who tell you 2 1/4" is the way to go have never tried 2 1/2".  These engines don't need backpressure.  We aren't running a finely tuned 2 stroke, we have a forklift engine.  I've tried both and my engine has been much happier with bigger exhaust, from idle to as high as I've revved.  Each setup will respond differently, so it's best to match your system as well as possible.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Ev87We4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
I got long tube headers and 2-1/2" exhaust with a $20 summit turbo muffler. Seemed to run better overall from stock, but may have lost a tad bit of torque. With 5:29 gears, torque wasn't an issue. I also have a engnbldr cam and ported head.

turbo this..

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2014, 02:14:06 AM »
i agree to many guys look at there engines as single components
the whole lot is a complex arrangement and everything effects everything else it should be looked at as a whole and planed out evan if you only do bit by bit one mod must complement the next to be a final product

on my 2wd it runs 3Y block 4Yhead std bottom end that i know of? never been inside it... its runing the late model dissy with coil in it nice 4-2-1 small diameter long branch headers and progressive webber carb it goes really well and pulls clear off the clock with a bit of straight road to roll on  :yupyup:  planing to do a tuned intake manifold with longer runners soon along with gas flowing the head

to make an engine have turqe it needs air speed along with pules tuned intake and exhaust that work together with the cam and head

think about it when the intake valve opens the atmosfireic pressure (14.7psi(1bar)) rushes into the vacume (streched out air or lack or pressure) created in the cylender dureing the intake stroke now this dosent happen instantainulsy it takes a little time now the air in the runner is just starting to gain air speed and ram its way into the cylneder as the piston aproches bottom stroke and its peak flow is normaly at this point almost as the piston is coming up and the valve is closeing right so now we have established the valve is always lagging behilnd the demant of the cylender so to fill that cylender better (more hp) we need to make the air want to fill and rush into the cylender earler this is done by creating a tunded intake that matches your cam events so how do you get this to happen well its done by useing the intake event that happend before the current one so when all that air has finaly gotten moveing the valve closes now the air has no place to go so creates a bit of pressure that pressure makes a pulse of high and low pressure that bounces back down the intake towards the carb (intake noise) now if the runner is of correct diametor and length then this high and low pressure waves get back to the valve just before its due to open and bam the air is really pushing in there and it fills the cylender to its maxim before the valve closes at with time it makes the next pressure wave for the next intake stroke event this is the same for the exhaust aswell now when you get this done right for both intake and exhaust you can actual get you engine to be positve VE that means its like haveing a turbo! it means the cylenders are being filled with more then amien air pressure!! but with out a turbo... just some trick tuned length intakes and exhausts but this peak is usaly quite small and only hapends at set rpm the rpm point changes with diamters and lengths so its a matter of choseing your peak tourqe rpm where you want it and that is she will light up and be a monster at that rpm tipicly why race engins have such a short power band that when all this stuff lines up and makes its contrebution to produce tourqe

tourqe is what puts you back in the seat! hp is staying power the abilty to hold onto that push and not run out of puff..

when given the chance of makeing a few ftpounds of tourqe vs say 15hp ill chose ftlbs evry time you feel ftlbs more than peak hp hp dosent win races ftlbs dose it the abilty to move a mass faster/easyer

hope amongst that messed up mess you can make something out of it writing is not my strong point !!