Author Topic: Okay-I give up...  (Read 1984 times)

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Okay-I give up...
« on: Jul 04, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
 :confused: Where's the turn signal flasher located on an 81 Hilux 4X4? I've looked things over as much as I can,but I don't see a flasher canister anywhere. (It sounds like the Emergency Flashers are over at the top of the right kick panel,but even THAT doesn't look right. I've heard it mentioned that the flashers have some sort of cover over the flashers;is that true? (That'd explain why the Emergency flasher doesn't look like one. :crazy: )If it worked I could just track the sound,but-"It's dead,Jim." That and the front park lights are about the only things that really don't work on this truck.
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Re: Okay-I give up...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
does your turn indicator come on,but not flash?

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
   Nope-totally dead,but the fuse is good and I have juice to it with the key on. The Four-Ways work fine,so it isn't the bulbs or sockets. It appears that somehow the circuit goes dead at the flasher relay,wherever THAT is.

"Bash On Regardless"

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Its located on the drivers side kick panel. The relay is green.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
 :bowdown: Thanks Crazy-
I'll work on it when I get up in the AM. (optimism) Today's project was trying to fix the horn and checking for broken wires at the turn signal switch.  Horn-the plunger isn't reaching the contact ring on the steering wheel well enough to get a good contact;cleaned all contact surfaces,signal switch-everything appears to be intact and in good condition. Right turn worked for about 30 seconds,I felt the same relay the Hazard lights use clicking(Don't know WHAT to make of this! :yikes:),the bulbs lit properly,etc. I shut it off and tried it again and it blinked once and that was it.
   Didn't have the proper dome light for the truck,so I made one from a Yamaha license plate light;had to make a toggle switch bracket since the light had no switch. Not especially good looking,but works well. Ran an external 5 amp blade type fuse,still need to hide the extra wire and place the fuse where I can reach it easily. This light is a sealed unit,so if the roof decides to leak again(It rolled over onto a broken off T-post and ripped a hole in the roof just about where the inside mirror was,then on over,landing on its wheels.),it won't grenade the light like the original.
   Can't wait until I have enough $$ to do the timing chain,water pump and brake pads. Then it'll just be a matter of waiting for the Title to get here. ALL the axle seals (including the knuckle seals) need to be replaced,as do the rear brake shoes  and possibly the rear wheel bearings. (Why else would the seals go bad?) Plenty to do-it's hard to prioritize until I can drive it and see what needs attention first. I also want to figure out how to push the back of the cab/top of the rear window opening up about an inch and out about 1-1/2 inches,to make a rear window fit the opening a little better. I have another slider available to me,but ain't no way it'll fit that opening without breaking something. I'll eventually need to replace the windshield,if for no other reason than that the gasket's gone to crap and with the little half circle crack in the glass near where the T-post went through the roof I doubt the gasket could be replaced without the glass breaking worse.
   I'll try to refrain from boring you with the details of this project,but I'm so anxious to get this truck on the road I get carried away  :woohoo: :woohoo: .
   Thanks for all your help on this and other questions I've had/will have.
   Speed

"Bash On Regardless"

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2014, 02:55:13 AM »
  :headscratch: Well,I went under-dash looking for a turn signal relay on the Drivers side kick panel,and there IS a green relay there-it's marked "CHARGE LIGHT RELAY",and the charge light works fine;there's one other box there,more very light blue,and bigger than a turn signal relay would be,marked as some sort of Emission Control Module,or some such.
   I'm again suspecting the signal switch is bad. Found one on ebay that's supposed to fit for $72.00,but it mentions a Ute,and the picture appears to have the wipers and turn signals on the wrong sides,so I'm assuming they mean it'll fit my truck if it's from Oz.   :think:  :idea: I'm going to start looking for a parts truck;doesn't have to be a 4X4,doesn't have to run,or even HAVE an engine;just a regular pick up w/o the engine will do. DOES have to be CHEAP and close. It's stuff like this switch that I'll need. Unless some of you with multiple parts trucks would sell a few parts for my truck.
   Speed
   I dunno what happened,but the site's worked in excellent fashion today-fast and smooth! Whatever you guys did-THANK YOU! :beer: Took less than a second to load this reply! :woohoo:

"Bash On Regardless"

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
   :wave:Hi all;

I put a little more time in under the dash today,and found the flasher that runs the Emergency flashers,over beside the glovebox,IS actually marked "Turn Signal Flasher";I took it apart and found a circuit board and solenoid. The plug for it IS 3 blades,but the spacing's way too tight to use an aftermarket electronic flasher.   :headscratch: At THIS point,I have to assume the same flasher relay works both circuits,since you can't use your turn signal and the 4 ways at the same time. Since the 4 ways still work fine,the problem must be either wiring or the turn signal switch;I doubt the wiring's at fault because I've found no visible or functional wiring damage anywhere else so far. If I can find a good parts truck,the turn signal switch is one of the things I'll need. (Other things I'll be looking for is an A/C compressor and brackets/hoses,the parts to convert to a stock P/S set up,a windshield and a tailgate. An OEM AM/FM radio would also be good,but I can live without it.) Well,on to the next fun project.  ::)  :beer:
   Speed

"Bash On Regardless"

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2014, 03:30:39 AM »
I've got the a/c bracket, hoses, and condenser if your interested. No compressor though

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »
   :wave:Hi all;

I put a little more time in under the dash today,and found the flasher that runs the Emergency flashers,over beside the glovebox,IS actually marked "Turn Signal Flasher";I took it apart and found a circuit board and solenoid. The plug for it IS 3 blades,but the spacing's way too tight to use an aftermarket electronic flasher.   :headscratch: At THIS point,I have to assume the same flasher relay works both circuits,since you can't use your turn signal and the 4 ways at the same time.

Sorry speed my 83 has it on the drivers side. I took a look at an 81 and the signal flasher is on the passenger side.  :smack:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
 :wave:
   Hi CrazyYota;
No problem-If my line of thought is right,the turn signal switch is the problem. If the Flasher relay was bad the Emergency flashers wouldn't work either. Am I right?
   BTW-I priced the parts I need most critically on "Pick-n-Pull"'s website,and it comes to $553.00 for everything except the timing chain set,water pump and the A/C and P/S hoses. (There's about $10.00-30.00 for the air pressure switch and a gauge too,if I can't find an old dead 30 gallon or so compressor to grab one from.) Naturally,once it's on the road legally,the endless cycle of "needs" will begin. ("What this truck really needs is a better stereo/a spot light/more lights/roll bar/another spare tire,etc. etc. etc.")

Hi 81 shortbed;
   I have a few compressors around (Not sure what they're from,but I can likely make something work...) We might have to discuss a deal. I don't yet have much to trade,but..... :headscratch: I wonder what the shipping would run to 89801...
   Speed

"Bash On Regardless"